christian persecution - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Can you fire a minority for poor performance and not be guilty of discrimination?

If you want to attack Pat Robertson because of his political statements, then fine. If you attack Pat Robertson because he is a Christian, you have a different situation.

i think Robertson's an interesting example; he's conflated, confused, and inextricably entertwined his politics with being a Christian. for him, part of being a Christian, and probably the only way he feels one can be a responsible Christian, is to have a very specific set of politics that he lays out for his followers.

i think it's less attacking Robertson for being a Christian, but for how he chooses to practice his Christianity.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:

Can you fire a minority for poor performance and not be guilty of discrimination?

If you want to attack Pat Robertson because of his political statements, then fine. If you attack Pat Robertson because he is a Christian, you have a different situation.
Very good point. Yes you can fire them if they perform poorly, will some try and find a way to twist it around? Yes.

Just like some will twist around an attack on how Pat "uses" his religious beliefs.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
but sometimes it can be a drag to be upfront about your beliefs.
That's true of all beliefs.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:59 PM
A_wanderer's quote, "As for persecution in western countries it is non-existent, it is about maintaining a victim mentality....The same goes for any group; gays, blacks, Muslims, conservatives, neo-nazi's - they all need to have opposition and they will often invent a broad opposition to their goals to claim a lot of victim mentality - of course some groups are guility of this a lot more than others and often such claims are based on some degree of truth."

Do we liberals do the same?
This is perhaps why self-evaluation is so needed. Group-think is all too prevalent in, well, groups that our minds can be persuaded to think differently then we would under different circumstances.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
That's true of all beliefs.
I don't doubt it, bud.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again here....I think the word "conservative" as it relates to Christianity is being thrown out WAY too often around here. I've read people labelling certain actions or beliefs as "conservative" and they're actually not that conservative at all. Christianity in general does not equal "conservative".

That said, I'd consider myself a relatively conservative Christian and I've never felt outright persecuted here or anywhere else in "real" life. Challenged, yes....persecuted, no. Sure, I've had people say everything I believe is stupid and shit, bla bla bla, but those people came at it in such a way that they were obviously just trying to get a rise out of me. I doubt they'd ever have the guts to "persecute" me to my face!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:

sometimes the question is the answer

we can fire an employee for not doing their job properly

people get fired not melanin
Old 02-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again here....I think the word "conservative" as it relates to Christianity is being thrown out WAY too often around here. I've read people labelling certain actions or beliefs as "conservative" and they're actually not that conservative at all. Christianity in general does not equal "conservative".
Interesting. I see quite the opposite in here. I see many automatically assume you don't believe if you have liberal leanings. In fact I've actually read where some have flat out told others their beliefs contradict anything Biblical.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

Interesting. I see quite the opposite in here. I see many automatically assume you don't believe if you have liberal leanings.
Yes, I can see this too. My point is that what some people are labelling "conservative" is SOOOO not conservative it's funny. Just b/c something is MORE conservative doesn't make it "conservative Christianity". The same thing goes for fundamentalism. I've read people labelling some of the things I believe as "fundamentalist" when believe me, I have as much in common with a fundamentalist Christian that I do with a fundamentalist Muslim!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #25

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Old 02-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 04:59 PM
excellent quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:59 PM
I agree, I think it summed it up.