Christian Conservatives Leave Convention in Great Spirits - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2004, 08:16 PM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 AM
NBC, I read all through this thread and I'm not sure what "stereotyping" you're talking about. Criticisms in this thread seem to be derived from words that came straight from the mouths of the proverbial horses in question. I understand you have a vested interest in this topic, but negative opinions do not equal unwarranted stereotyping.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:22 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Very good post Antitram

Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:49 AM
I agree anitram, but it's also people doing the country harm by trying to turn it into a religious state. They get so hung up on "moral" issues. I can understand where someone votes on their religious beliefs, but why are they getting so hung up on the immorality of Janet Jackson's boob when programs that feed poor kids breakfast are getting cut? I was talking to a friend from Oklahoma about the proposed amendment on a ballot there banning gay marriage. It was proposed by a man who has been married three times! What does he know about morality in marriage? Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

As far as I can see, the Democrats are more compassionate with their plans to increase health care coverage and decrease poverty. four million more people are poor under Dubya's administration. How is increasing poverty a compassionate plan? How is cutting after-school programs and school lunches compassionate? I understand that some of you are conserative Christians, voting Republican because you are pro-life or anti-gay marriage. It's funny because I'm voting for Kerry BECAUSE of my religoius beliefs, not against them as some conversations would want this country to believe.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 AM
to Sharky

(Nice to see you back, by the way!)

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Nbc, I'm not stereotyping conservative Christians. That's what just about everyone in my own home state is. I live around them. Most of them are ordinary people who work hard and mind their own business. There is a certain mindset among a small minority of these people, people who are not only theocratic in mindset but also convinced that we Catholics are some Satanic cult and other scary attitudes. A few years back there was a local controversy over some Catholic gatherings in the next county. Some Croat was over here, she claimed she'd had visions of Mary, (I don't think she did, for the record) and some neighbors told the press they thought the Devil was involved in the whole thing. This pissed me off. I thought they were gullible myself but certainly had nothing to do with the Devil. I'm talking about people like this and certainly not conservative Christians as a whole. You'd have to tell me I was possessed with the Devil before I'd put you in this group, and I know that's not going to happen.