Christian and Islamic fundamentalists aren't the only ones that want to censor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...AVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/18/nfaggot118.xml

The left/liberal leaning BBC, after twenty years of broadcasting the uncensored version of Christmas favourite 'Fairytale of New York', has apparently decided that, after all, its audience isn't grown up enough to choose what it wants to listen to for itself.

(What I find hilarious is that if you look closely at the link above, you will see the offending 'f' word buried in the text. I think someone in the BBC is having a laugh, frankly. Edit.: Actually link is from the Telegraph. Someone in the Telegraph is having a laugh)

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
The war on christmas continues.

What is christmas without racial, sexists, or homophobic slurs?

So you're happy with the BBC censoring the music it plays?

financeguy said:

So you're happy with the BBC censoring the music it plays?

Public TV and radio has always censored music, shows, etc

There are a lot of words that have been censored. Doesn't really mean much to me, as long as it's not the censoring of ideas.

I actually find it very telling that for years the word 'shit' was unacceptable but ******, faggot, spick, etc were fine.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The war on christmas continues.

What is christmas without racial, sexists, or homophobic slurs?

Nothing sums up the holiday spirit like listening to two people fight. We've come a long way from "Counting Your Blessings," haven't we?

Jesus doesn't seem to have anything to do with this particular dust-up -- I doubt He's spending the holiday with two drinks in each hand and using words like "faggot."

nathan1977 said:
Jesus doesn't seem to have anything to do with this particular dust-up -- I doubt He's spending the holiday with two drinks in each hand and using words like "faggot."

Yeah, I'm really not sure why he got brought into this...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I actually find it very telling that for years the word 'shit' was unacceptable but ******, faggot, spick, etc were fine.

No they really wern't, and they still aren't.
but I know what you mean BVS and this is one of the most complex things to talk about to young impressionable minds these days - to comprehend the difference in artistic value and insult.
Especialy when some adults can't even get a grasp on it.
Anytime it's allowed in song, movies or text, it's ok
Just don't say it to my face.
So how does one explain this to a 9 year old??

sue4u2 said:

No they really wern't, and they still aren't.
but I know what you mean BVS

I just meant as far as the FCC and other "watchdog" groups were concerned. For a long time they would bleep out one of the seven words, but not a slur.

Moonlit Angel is right. If you don't like the song, turn the damn radio off. Censorship is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom