Christenings - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2003, 05:28 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Christenings

What are all your thoughts on christening children? My daughter is 7.5 months now, and its probably the time to get this done if we decide its the right thing. The topic has come up a couple of times from family and interested 'others', but due to our mixed religions on both sides (we're both a combination of C and E and Catholic) its been something we've gone around in circles on and can't come up with a decision.
So I thought I'd ask you wonderful people of TGIS for any thoughts, feelings, opinions etc, anything would be muchly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:35 PM
I think it's a beautiful beginning for the child-obviously more significant at the time to the parent (s) than it is to the child But when she gets old enough to understand, I think it would be special and meaningful for her for you to explain, show her pictures, etc.

A recent experience I had at my church w/ a baptism, when my Pastor talked about the significance of Baptism, reconfirmed for me how important it is. Obviously you can only decide that for yourself, so good luck whatever your decision is

Old 08-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
This will vary between denominations, but infant baptism or christenings is really a covenant between you, your child and your church on how you will raise your child. The ceremony itself does nothing for the child.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
She's the One

From a non-Christian viewpoint, I think it's a wonderful ritual for the family. I don't see how it could ever be the wrong thing to do. Since there may be issues raised about which faith should "get" to baptise her, you could have a minister from a different denomination do the baptism. Although that might annoy the more sensitive members of the family.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Thankyou guys for giving your thoughts. Its a very possible solution to get an independant minister to carry out the service. My grandmother is a devout Catholic and weirdly, is about the only one to not bring this up so far. Thankfully, I think everyone will be pleased with however we decide to go about it. My mum (this grandmother's daughter) was raised as a Catholic as well, but never actively continued it once she reached adulthood. I think being caned by her pious Catholic school teacher nuns did it for her, lol. She had me and my sister Christened, but we never attended church or anything. Only for weddings and funerals. My dad is C of E, and also never pushed that on us. He also didn't go to church. My deceased father in law was a Catholic, but fell out with the church years ago, but my mother in law still actively attends. She is C of E like my dad, and attends a multi denominational church. I've gone a couple of times with his family and they are a wonderful group of people. The minister who runs theirs is the one who performed our wedding. If anyone will do it, I hope it would be him.
Is it hypocritical or something to get this done, while not being an active member of any church? While we believe and everything, I don't want our views to infringe on her. When she is older, it should be entirely up to her what she wants to do, but as a start, I feel it is something we should do for her. Its so confusing. Thanks again for your replies, everyone.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:39 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Angie, what is "C and E and Catholic"?

foray
Old 08-15-2003, 01:41 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:35 PM
it sounds like vitamins
Old 08-15-2003, 05:25 AM   #8
Jesus Online

haha, Church of England. I think its just a division of the Catholic church, some King a few hundred years ago got the shits and started his own church or something. To be honest, I'm not sure how greatly it differs from any of the other denominations. My dad and mother in law are both poms, hence why they are this.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:19 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 11:35 AM
I sorta wish i had never been christened... cos i mean, i was only a baby and i had no say in the matter (I like to have the last word on everything ) But i don't regret it... well only perhaps the fact that my parents are, like basically "heathens" and my mum only baptised me because her mum (my nana) was really devoutly catholic... i just think it's sort of b/s, that's all. I'm certainly not going to do anything my mother tells me when i'm an adult. God knows i don't now
Old 08-15-2003, 09:53 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Amsie
I sorta wish i had never been christened... cos i mean, i was only a baby and i had no say in the matter (I like to have the last word on everything ) But i don't regret it... well only perhaps the fact that my parents are, like basically "heathens" and my mum only baptised me because her mum (my nana) was really devoutly catholic... i just think it's sort of b/s, that's all. I'm certainly not going to do anything my mother tells me when i'm an adult. God knows i don't now
Just wait, youngster...just wait.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

Just wait, youngster...just wait.
Wait for what exactly???
Ahhh, parents can be so clueless!!

Old 08-17-2003, 11:13 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
haha, Church of England. I think its just a division of the Catholic church, some King a few hundred years ago got the shits and started his own church or something. To be honest, I'm not sure how greatly it differs from any of the other denominations. My dad and mother in law are both poms, hence why they are this.
Wasn't it something to do with marriage ... the King wanted to marry someone who wasn't Catholic, so he had the religion changed? That's as far as I know ... so now Anglican priests can be married, while Catholic priests can't.

Anyway, about your daughter's christening, I do think it's a nice idea. In the Catholic church, baptism as a baby isn't the end - you still have to be confirmed, which is more or less the child's decision. So in that way it's not entirely true to say that having a baby baptised gives them no say. That's my opnion anyway! I agree with nbcrusader that it's really more for the parents, but if it would help you as parents to know that your daughter has been christened, in terms of bringing her up in the church or whatever, than I don't think it's a bad thing at all!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 AM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~

Wasn't it something to do with marriage ... the King wanted to marry someone who wasn't Catholic, so he had the religion changed? That's as far as I know ... so now Anglican priests can be married, while Catholic priests can't.
Wasn't it because he wasn't able to divorce the wife he already had?? So he made up his own religion where you could divorce and remarry? Bastard
Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #14
She's the One

It was Henry VIII.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Is it hypocritical or something to get this done, while not being an active member of any church? While we believe and everything, I don't want our views to infringe on her. When she is older, it should be entirely up to her what she wants to do, but as a start, I feel it is something we should do for her. Its so confusing. Thanks again for your replies, everyone.
Hi Angela,

I think it is a nice tradition and it is a beautiful gift you can give your child. I don't think it's hypocritical if you are not an active member of a church- i've come to learn it's personal relationships (with God, with your child) that are important, not necessarily how much time you put in at church. I'm sure when she is older she'll want to know what you believe and take what you say seriously.. and if you do believe in the sacraments and think baptism is a precious experience, then this is a way to show her when she is older what you believe. (But it doesn't push your beliefs on her, either. She's too young now so you have to make the decisions, and when she's older she'll get to make her decisions).

You'll do fine. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Olive