Christenings - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:40 AM
i still haven't had my daughter baptized or christened per say. i want her to be able to make this decision on her own when she understands the concept. i skitted around the issue for several years myself. my mom kept asking me about it over the years when i was married but i always avoided it. i want my daughter to be able to understand what its all about before she decides on it later. thats just me tho.

good luck angela!

Old 08-21-2003, 02:03 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
i still haven't had my daughter baptized or christened per say. i want her to be able to make this decision on her own when she understands the concept. i skitted around the issue for several years myself. my mom kept asking me about it over the years when i was married but i always avoided it. i want my daughter to be able to understand what its all about before she decides on it later. thats just me tho.

good luck angela!
You're right Icelle, your daughter is already at an age where she can make that choice for herself.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Amsie

Wait for what exactly???
Ahhh, parents can be so clueless!!

Just a FYI.....I am not a parent, and am probably far away from being one.

In reality, it is the TEENAGER who is soooooooooo clueless. Again, give yourself some time to mature, then go back and read what you have written. I will guarantee you laugh at yourself...and end up agreeing with the adults.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

In reality, it is the TEENAGER who is soooooooooo clueless. Again, give yourself some time to mature, then go back and read what you have written. I will guarantee you laugh at yourself...and end up agreeing with the adults.
Just because someone is a teenager doesn't mean they're clueless, y'know.

*Fizz, who misses being a teenager.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:54 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Doesn't really matter what age you are, or where you're at with things in general. I'm only 26, a parent, but clueless about many things. Being my age which can be considered old or young depending on what the subject is, doesn't really make a scrap of difference to quite a few things we all face sooner or later.

But again many thanks for the replies. Our indecision over the whole thing is pretty much the issue we should be looking at first I think. I don't think it should be something we should do unless we are absolutely sure.

No one ever told us about all these things before we started a family! Someone needs to write a handbook on DIY parenting.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:56 AM   #21
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:40 AM
perhaps you could write that handbook yourself if you ever get bored

I don't think there's a wrong or right decision though

do what feels best for you & hub
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:40 AM
It depends on the parents and the church. I love going to christenings, personally. It's a joyous experience for the parents. The infant doesn't know what's going on, of course. The baby may grow up to convert to another faith tradition or whatever--I did. I was raised a Protestant and was baptized as a baby. Then I grew up and became a Catholic, and my baptism was accepted by the Catholic Church as a baptism into the Church. Thus I didn't have to get baptized "again". I'd go ahead and baptize the baby even if I wasn't particularly active in the church. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Doesn't really matter what age you are, or where you're at with things in general. I'm only 26, a parent, but clueless about many things. Being my age which can be considered old or young depending on what the subject is, doesn't really make a scrap of difference to quite a few things we all face sooner or later.

But again many thanks for the replies. Our indecision over the whole thing is pretty much the issue we should be looking at first I think. I don't think it should be something we should do unless we are absolutely sure.

No one ever told us about all these things before we started a family! Someone needs to write a handbook on DIY parenting.
Guidelines about Christenings will depend on the denomination you belong. If you want to seriously follow the teaching of your denomination, just check with your church.

As far as what we ought to do, I can only give you this:

"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (emphasis mine)
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Just because someone is a teenager doesn't mean they're clueless, y'know.

*Fizz, who misses being a teenager.
Fizz...read the caption.

No...not all teenagers are clueless...and as you grow older (out of your teen years), you realize tht parents are RARELY clueless on topics like this. Parents ARE sometime clueless on how their own children act outside of the house though!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

Not laughing yet
Seriously, if you judge somebody's maturity levels over something you read on a message board...well i just think that's pretty sad... I mean, you're calling me immature, when you don't know me, my parents, or my life experiences. Did it ever cross your mind that just maybe there was more to the story?? i don't think it's fair for you to tell me to grow up without knowing me. Definitely there is a side of immaturity to me, i freely admit that.. it keeps me sane, but it doesn't mean i don't know my feelings now and what i mean. DON'T tell me what i'm going to be like in years to come and don't tell me that i'll come to my senses about my parents ...

I'm sorry, parent-daughter relationship just hits a raw point, that's all.... if you knew them, maybe you'd understand, but i can see i'm just wasting my breath
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
So Im scouring the forums looking for a long lost post of nbrcrusader and stumbled into here instead. So while Im here I may as well put my foot in my mouth and fire off.

My parents didnt Christian/Baptise/Whatever me and Im personally grateful for that as Im still an athiest. My sister has grown up and decided to become a Christian of sorts and thats cool too.

I have not had my daughter 'done'. I will leave that up to her to decide. We did have a naming ceremony with a celebrant for my daughter just so we could get all the relies together and make a video of everyone together, and eat cake.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:14 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Anything I can help you find?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, please. The one about absolutes.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:48 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

The subject was touched on in a thread on abortion, but only tangentially. I really haven't taken the time to lay out the argument that shows how relativism is illogical.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Okay. Thanks. I will stop looking. Sounded interesting thats all. If you ever do write your feelings down pm me so I can read your thread, k?

Take care.