Chris Rock's Mom Vs Cracker Barrel Restaurant - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Based on the info posted, I don't think there's enough to call this racism. To me, that's a very, very harsh claim and I could never call someone a racism because of a single incident of bad service (but then again, I'm not black so how would I know how she feels?). I was at a restaurant recently with friends and we were ignored for a long time. Then the waiter kept forgetting to bring drinks or silverware, even after we'd asked. We got pissed and thought we were being ignored because we were younger and it was busy, so he wanted to hit the tables w/ older couples b/c they can tip more (it's a restaurant popular w/ people over 60). Well it turned out the kid had JUST started working. We started looking around and all the tables in our section were complaining. The old man behind me laughed and said he received a fork 15 minutes after his food arrived. I dunno, maybe the Cracker Barrel person was just having a bad day. People make mistakes. Hopefully that's all it was.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

How can you jump and say this is a case of racism by a racist employee? Who hasn't been to a restaurant and had bad service or been ignored? Waiters are capable of forgetting. I've been to Friendlies and been completely ignored and I didn't view it as racism.
I wasn't saying the employee in question was definitely a racist...my point was that even if he was a racist it's hard to fault Cracker Barrel for 1 isolated incident, because I think it's difficult to pick out the bigots at hiring time.

A pattern of behavior at several CB restaurants would send up a red flag though.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well I'm black and I've been to Cracker Barrels all up and down I-75 from Orlando up through Tennessee/Kentucky during my many drives from home in FL to Michigan where I was going to college. And I never experienced any discriminatory treatment during my many visits. (At gas stations and on the highways, I did however encounter some hostile looks, middle fingers etc once I started making the drive with the white woman who is now my wife. To this day, I prefer to fly from her family's home to mine in Florida's than drive and run the southern gauntlet with her).

However, as much as love the food there, I could see how a pattern of discriminatory behavior COULD develop there. It's very much about romanticizing country--particularly southern country life, and that old-timey life generally wasn't that great for black folks. And it would make sense that SOME people who work there and SOME managers might buy a little more deeply into that good-old-days southern ethos complete with the time when black folks "knew their place."

That said, I'm glad I don't have to worry about boycotting as their are no Cracker Barrels anywhere near Saipan (We do have a "Country House" restaurant down in the tourist district of Saipan, but I've never been there and I'm pretty sure it's a far cry from true country cooking). And I hope that by the time I get back to the U.S. Cracker Barrel has been sufficiently chastened and everything has been ironed out so I can eat there. Because their vegetable platter with the baked potatoe is unbeatable. And their blackberry cobbler is the best there is.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

But it is a pattern-if you Google you can find out more. There was a settlement, it's all in the USA Today article. That was years ago and hopefully they have truly changed, but who knows?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

the name of the resturant and knowledge of her son's work makes me not believe that this even happened...

"cracker" has been a huge part of chris' work... heck, i have a t-shirt from when i went to see him that says "cracker ass crackers" on the back. and this happens at the cracker barrel? all sounds a little fishy to me
Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the name of the resturant and knowledge of her son's work makes me not believe that this even happened...

"cracker" has been a huge part of chris' work... heck, i have a t-shirt from when i went to see him that says "cracker ass crackers" on the back. and this happens at the cracker barrel? all sounds a little fishy to me
Hmmm, urban legend perhaps. Particularly since according to Mrs. S the settlement was years ago.