Chris Rock: Voice of Sanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Chris Rock Clarifies Oscars' Comment

Tue Feb 22, 9:05 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Chris Rock wants to clarify what he meant when he said straight men don't watch the Oscars (news - web sites). "I did not say that. I said only gay people watch the Tonys," he joked Monday during an appearance on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."

But later he stuck to his guns. "I really don't know any straight men who aren't in show business that have ever watched the Oscars," he said.

The Emmy-winning comedian has taken some heat for an Entertainment Weekly interview in which he called the notion of giving awards for art "idiotic" and added: "what straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars?"

But he offered Leno some toned-down criticism of Oscar hype.

"The awards don't really affect anybody's lives in the crowd," Rock said. "Meanwhile, the Nobel Peace Prize, there's no one there. Nobody cares what the scientists are wearing. What are you wearing Professor Allen? 'Pants!'"

Rock, asked if he was rooting for anyone to win, said he would favor Don Cheadle, who is up for best actor for his role in "Hotel Rwanda."

"I like it if the award will affect the person's life," Rock said. "If he wins, he's gonna get better scripts, he's gonna work with better directors."

And he had some advice for acceptance speeches.

"Don't thank God," Rock said. "God's busy working on the tsunami, so leave him alone."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

firstly, i find the Tony awards comment really fucking funny, and it also irritates me when we get *too* PC. as everyone on this forum knows, i view homophobia as the same thing as racism, sexism, and anti-semitism. HOWEVER, it would be a much better world if we could acknolwedge some differences, understand that these differences don't apply to everyone, and then laugh at these differences with the knoweldge that, hey, it's all okay. you and me are free to be you and me. i didn't watch the super bowl; but i'm having friends over Wednseday night and cooking Indian food for the season finale of "Project Runway."

and his other comments, on the Nobel Prize and especially the neauseating way that everyone thanks God in sometimes baffling language that offers, when you think about it, ontological proof of the existence of a diety ("there ain't no one like you!!!"), are so needed right now. i work in TV, and was of course seduced by notions of fame, glamor, and glitz. and while that's a part of it, really, it's very much a business. don't believe the hype. awards are great, and actors and directors can make impacts on our culture, but the real heroes are in the laboratories of MIT and on the beaches of Banda Ache.

Poeple are too afraid of offending someone most of the time nowadays, so fair play to Chris I mean theres a difference between having a laugh and being serious

:up: good points Irvine

But I find it hard to believe that NO straight men outside show business watch the Oscars-after all, there are some gorgeous women there :wink: There must be plenty of straight men going to the movies too. sorry, Im bored and overanalyzing..

I'm straight, and I haven't missed an Oscar telecast since 1992. I guess I see his point, because I am the only straight man I know who ever watches it, but...ahhh...damn...I must be gay....

Shit...

My girlfriend isn't going to like this...

Shit

I'm straight and I watch the Oscars every year. There — I said it. I feel better about myself now. :wink: So what do you do in TV, Irvine?

coemgen said:
I'm straight and I watch the Oscars every year. There — I said it. I feel better about myself now. :wink: So what do you do in TV, Irvine?

i don't want to be too specific, but i work for a major cable network that i'm sure all of you get in your homes. i was working for the corporate end of things, but have moved over into the production group, which is great -- i get to wear jeans every day, get to interact with creative people, and start to do more creative-type things. i'm currently producing a series of educational shorts -- these will be 3-5 minute long clips using our extensive archive of B-roll footage to demonstrate certain mathematical concepts for grades K-2.

Weeell, Nobel Prize award -ceremonies- don't really affect anyone in the crowd either. Given a choice between two, surely anyone would prefer to watch the one with entertainment value (and gorgeous people)? :)

I watch them every year. Since last years I've also made it an annual goal to see EVERY movie that's up for best picture that year. My pick this year goes to Finidng Neverland. YES, I'm a straight male, and my favorite movie this year was Finding Neverland. Bah!:mad:

But seriously, it's the best movie I've seen in years.:wink:

I'm gay and I studied film/TV (still trying to get a job in it :angry: ), and I can't stand watching the Oscars.

Melon

My husband's nephew and his boyfriend used to put on a huge Oscar party every year but half the guys there didn't pay any attention to the show at all...they were there for the food and to meet cute guys. :wink:

And my husband, a straight male, watches the Oscars every year without fail. :shrug:

melon said:
I'm gay and I studied film/TV (still trying to get a job in it :angry: ), and I can't stand watching the Oscars.

Melon

i'm sure you've heard this, but the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door.

don't want to come off high and mighty, but if you want any advice (not that i'm some sort of executive, but i do at least get a paycheck these days -- as opposed to the beginning, when i was working for free), or just want to bitch about how insider-ish the biz is, please feel free to email me.

Chris Rock is pretty funny, as well as pretty cool. It always amuses me when people get offended over what comedians say...a good majority of them make their careers out of being truthful/not politically correct and all that, so yeah, some of what they say is gonna offend people...that's life, it's up to you to figure out how you're gonna personally deal with the commentary. God, George Carlin's made fun of people that I'm similar to in beliefs and actions before, and I still think he's one of the funniest guys in the world.

Angela

I work for one of the major US film studios and seeing the money spent on these awards I'm now the cynical guy who just goes "oh so studio X spent the most on that category" as the winner is read out. I also used to work for a major record label, and if you think the Oscars are bad, forget the Grammys...

ANYWAY, As for watching them, with the time difference between the US and Australia, they are still shown at prime time on tv here, but thats about a 6 hour delay, they actually happen at lunchtime here and only the ultra keen who spend all day avoiding the radio/tv/internet etc watch it with any surprise. I usually flick on and off them, but haven't watched the whole thing for a few years.

Chris Rock is like a modern day prophet...he really is great social commentator. Everyone must see his Never Scared HBO special.
to paraphrase: A black guy gets C's in school and he ends up flipping burgers. A white guy gets C's and he ends up as president.

Chris Rock asked, "what straight black man watches the Oscars."

the answer?

Denzel Washington's father.

;)

(got that from Howard Stern)

I'm a heterosexual female and think the Oscars are as boring as hell. The awards are pretty much about popularity/politics/making up for past oversights (although they at least seem to get it right a little more often than the Grammys), the speeches are usually either very bland or make you cringe on the recipients' behalf, and don't get me started on the production numbers. Most of the people I know only watch to see what everyone is wearing, and since I could care less about everyone's fashion choices, that doesn't leave me many reasons to watch.

I think Chris Rock is hilarious, so I'm tempted to tune in just for him. However, Arrested Development is on opposite the first half hour of the telecast when he does his opening, and I don't want to miss AD.

Irvine511 said:
i'm sure you've heard this, but the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door.

don't want to come off high and mighty, but if you want any advice (not that i'm some sort of executive, but i do at least get a paycheck these days -- as opposed to the beginning, when i was working for free), or just want to bitch about how insider-ish the biz is, please feel free to email me.

It is hard, and I've worked quite hard to make myself look "presentable." But it's been quite the task; I finally was able to get my video reel done and post it online (I've done so much web design the last three days that my head is spinning...). And I've got quite a good short film on-hand; I should work on submitting it for awards, etc.

And, sure, I'd love to get some advice and/or bitch about the industry. But you'll either have to enable your PMs or give me your e-mail address, because I have no means to contact you with the information you've provided. ;)

Melon

Back
Top Bottom