Chris Rock: Voice of Sanity - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:47 AM
I work for one of the major US film studios and seeing the money spent on these awards I'm now the cynical guy who just goes "oh so studio X spent the most on that category" as the winner is read out. I also used to work for a major record label, and if you think the Oscars are bad, forget the Grammys...

ANYWAY, As for watching them, with the time difference between the US and Australia, they are still shown at prime time on tv here, but thats about a 6 hour delay, they actually happen at lunchtime here and only the ultra keen who spend all day avoiding the radio/tv/internet etc watch it with any surprise. I usually flick on and off them, but haven't watched the whole thing for a few years.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #17
Local Time: 01:47 AM
Chris Rock is like a modern day prophet...he really is great social commentator. Everyone must see his Never Scared HBO special.
to paraphrase: A black guy gets C's in school and he ends up flipping burgers. A white guy gets C's and he ends up as president.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Chris Rock asked, "what straight black man watches the Oscars."

the answer?

Denzel Washington's father.

(got that from Howard Stern)
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:47 PM
I think Chris Rock will be an interesting change for the self-obsessed Oscar crowd.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think Chris Rock will be an interesting change for the self-obsessed Oscar crowd.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:47 PM
I'm a heterosexual female and think the Oscars are as boring as hell. The awards are pretty much about popularity/politics/making up for past oversights (although they at least seem to get it right a little more often than the Grammys), the speeches are usually either very bland or make you cringe on the recipients' behalf, and don't get me started on the production numbers. Most of the people I know only watch to see what everyone is wearing, and since I could care less about everyone's fashion choices, that doesn't leave me many reasons to watch.

I think Chris Rock is hilarious, so I'm tempted to tune in just for him. However, Arrested Development is on opposite the first half hour of the telecast when he does his opening, and I don't want to miss AD.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #22
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm sure you've heard this, but the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door.

don't want to come off high and mighty, but if you want any advice (not that i'm some sort of executive, but i do at least get a paycheck these days -- as opposed to the beginning, when i was working for free), or just want to bitch about how insider-ish the biz is, please feel free to email me.
It is hard, and I've worked quite hard to make myself look "presentable." But it's been quite the task; I finally was able to get my video reel done and post it online (I've done so much web design the last three days that my head is spinning...). And I've got quite a good short film on-hand; I should work on submitting it for awards, etc.

And, sure, I'd love to get some advice and/or bitch about the industry. But you'll either have to enable your PMs or give me your e-mail address, because I have no means to contact you with the information you've provided.