China's animal Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Truely disgusting what they make animals do. This must be banned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=407693&in_page_id=1770

A black bear perches precariously on a scooter and is forced to drive a circus performer across a tightrope.

This shocking image is just the latest picture to emerge from the barbaric Animal Olympic Games in China, a country with a shameful animal rights record.

China's list of shame:
Sickening 'animal olympics' forces kangaroos to box humans
• Gallery: Humans boxing kangaroos
See the latest pictures from the animal olympics
• China's barbaric horse fighting
• Live animals thrown to the tigers for crowd's amusement

The event has provoked outrage and serious concerns among animal rights groups around the world including The Captive Animals' Protection Society.

Craig Redmond, UK-based campaigns manager, said: "The things these animals are being made to do are not natural acts, and there will no doubt be cruelty involved in making them perform these tricks."

Shirley Galligan from the Born Free foundation added: "This is degrading for the animals, insulting to our intelligence and a disaster for any possible chance of increasing respect for the wild animals we share the world with. The Shanghai Animal Olympics is about domination and manipulation."

Previous pictures from the 'games' have included kangaroos being forced to take part in boxing matches with their supposed keepers and a monkey cycling while tied by the collar to the children's bike.

Other events have included a sea lion high jump and a tug of war between an elephant and members of the audience, with more than 300 animals taking part.

The forth of the biannual events at the Shanghai Wildlife Park has attracted thousands of visitors, including rapturous school children.

But the 'cruelty Olympics' are being held just before the human Olympics take place in Beijing. The Captive Animals' Protection Society is writing to the Chinese Ambassador in London to complain about the event.

"The abuse of the animals is clear. The bears, for example, will be very distressed at being forced to wear muzzles, chained and made to fight," said Redmond.

The protests from animal rights groups has been felt by the Chinese Government, which is keen to improve its reputation among the international community in terms of both animal and human rights. This year's Olympics could therefore be the last.

Add your comment Reader comments (3)

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below?

I don't agree with how animals are being treated in the Animal olympics. We get outraged but will go to a zoo or circus to see exotic animals that are taken out of their natural habitat and caged. It's a shame.

- Drew, Ohio, USA

What is wrong with these people involved?

- Jeff, St. Ignace, United States

They are some of the most intelligent, yet the most cruel people the planet, when are they going to stop!?

kangaroo2AFP_405x600.jpg

horsefightigR110706_228x320.jpg

chinazoo2G_509x700.jpg

Blackbear_460x700.jpg

animaldayG_350x256.jpg

They reported about this on CNN last week and I kept seeing those poor animals in my mind all day. This kind of treatment of animals is barbaric. Nothing cute about it.

There's something very wrong with anyone who thinks this is entertainment, let alone actually OK.

This story makes me so mad.

I really can't wrap my head around the total lack of humane treatment of animals in China. I was absolutely horrified when they killed 50,000 dogs in early August as a rabies control measure. I could not imagine taking my dog for a walk, having her grabbed from me and beat to death before my eyes by the police?!?!?!?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

I really can't wrap my head around the total lack of humane treatment of animals in China.

I was absolutely horrified when I read about the animal olympics and saw the shocking photos. I wasn't surprised though. Just look at the way they treat humans. Look at what they do to innocent baby girls. It is heartbreaking. Their human and animal rights are appalling.

I think we should all boycott the 2008 Olympics. :mad:

thanks justin for being offended and angry for everyone else.

another reason to be thankful,

- william burroughs

An sbsolute disgrace...

Mind you, we in the West still allow rodeo to continue, which is disgraceful and medieval in itself, and it should be condemned and stopped asap.

China's record on animal, and human, rights is disgusting :down: How anyone could give them most favored nation trading status and aid them in becoming a commercial powerhouse makes me completely ill :mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom