China Quake: 10.000 or More Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: China Quake: 10,000 or More Dead

the iron horse said:
"We live in perilous times."

~St. Paul
(in a letter to Timothy)

And, yet, without the mechanism behind earthquakes and volcanism--plate tectonics--we would be as dead as Mars.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

A_Wanderer said:
Not because of us.

We make our little contributions to Climate Change

and I do believe humankind is stupid enough to miss a tipping point

but, just look at the moon or mars

the size of some of the craters

it really is only a matter of time :shrug:

I do expect we may have a couple of major extinctions again before we turn into a bowling ball

Tipping point gets reached, mass extinction occurs and 10 million years later equilibrium is restored, a geological blink of an eye. We are arrogant if we think we are going to destroy the planet, even though we could destroy it as we know it.

Re: Re: Re: China Quake: 10,000 or More Dead

deep said:
I really believe Earth will look like Mars, one day (eon).

If the Sun's aging process holds true, Earth will be uninhabitable to all life as we know it in 900 million to 1 billion years. A billion years after that, all surface water will have boiled away and evaporated. By the time the Sun becomes a red giant 3 billion years after that, Earth will either become a lifeless ball of molten rock, be swallowed by the Sun completely, or, as a compromise, it will be ripped apart by tidal forces into an asteroid belt. Of course, there is also a 1 in 100,000 chance that a passing star will disturb our orbit around the Sun before that ever happens and eject us into the oblivion of space. Perhaps a good moment for that will be when the Andromeda Galaxy merges with the Milky Way Galaxy in 3 billion years?

Sun_Life.png

Re: Re: Re: Re: China Quake: 10,000 or More Dead

melon said:

If the Sun's aging process holds true,

Sun_Life.png

I know this is what Science is telling us today

in 100 years they may revise their theories based on new or more information

I believe if the Science is right about the past,
we will experience major extinctions because of "atmospheric" changes in the future

It is widely accepted that the Sahara was once an abundant "grassland" or "jungle" landscape.

also, most scientists believe Mars once had quite a bit of "water"

I don't know where the Mars "water" went.

I can't say where our water will go.

But if we lose the ozone over the polls.

That could expedite a more sudden change.

Last edited:
Er ... is this thread about an earthquake disaster, or what the Earth will look like in a bazillion years?

^ :up:

It sounds like it may be another day or two, if not more, before this earthquake's full costs in lives and property are clear; apparently all roads and rail lines leading to the epicenter region, which is mountainous and rural, are impassable due to landslides, so rescue teams will have to go in on foot (with no help from the weather; continued heavy rains and thunderstorms are forecast). As it is, there are already thousands of people known to be buried beneath rubble in towns on the edge of that region. The death toll will almost certainly be well above 10,000.

From what I've read, the location and magnitude of this quake seem to have taken everyone by surprise; no one thought the known faults in this particular area were likely to generate quakes of quite this magnitude, so the buildings in its cities and towns hadn't been built or retrofitted to withstand them.

Of course it's no consolation to those who've already lost everything, but the Chinese military does have a good recent record of responding rapidly and effectively to natural disasters, unlike another regime that's been on every newsreader's mind the past few days. One can only hope it will make all the difference...

Last edited:
A friend of mine is currently studying in Chengdu, just south of the epicenter.

But he and the other students are alright. :)

Vincent Vega said:
A friend of mine is currently studying in Chengdu, just south of the epicenter.

But he and the other students are alright. :)

Chengdu is safe, only 45 dead. The worst is a town called Bei Chuan, 110,000 population in total, half town was buried by the stones and dust of the falling moutain, the little town single contributed more than 7000 death record, more than 10,000 people are still buried under the detritus.

Mian Zhu government had called all the male residents under 50 year old, carry their own tool, cloth, food and water, to go to Bei Chuan for the rescue.

The Wo Long giant panda research center still losing contact.

chengduzq3.jpg

pic: people in Cheng Du formed a more than 200m queue outside of the blood bank center to give blood

I've been following some of the news coverage of this on TV and it's really really sad. I am going to see what I can do to donate something to help in this relief effort. I hope others will join me in doing the same.

That line of thinking is too close to the "New Orleans deserved Katrina because they're a bunch of sinners" line of thinking for my tastes.

JCOSTER said:
I feel very very sorry for the innocent people their, I can't help but think that it's some kind of retribution for the turmoil in Myanmar and Darfur. :(

retribution on the part of whom?

Kharmically speaking maybe the gods are a little cranky but I'm hopeful that nature doesn't choose sides otherwise we are all doomed!

It does seem as if the govt is reacting in a much more humane way than the cretins in Burma - my :pray:ers are with all of those who have suffered - it is just so sad for the innocents :sad:

Purplereign said:
Kharmically speaking maybe the gods are a little cranky but I'm hopeful that nature doesn't choose sides otherwise we are all doomed!

It does seem as if the govt is reacting in a much more humane way than the cretins in Burma - my :pray:ers are with all of those who have suffered - it is just so sad for the innocents :sad:

ooooops :reject: I meant prayers . . . :pray: sorry if anyone thought I was making light of a serious situation

JCOSTER said:
I feel very very sorry for the innocent people their, I can't help but think that it's some kind of retribution for the turmoil in Myanmar and Darfur. :(

Guess we gonna see the Iraq one soon?
:lol:

Sorry, I can't help.

That's one reason why I love American people, their mental power never extend the "safety" limit. :eeklaugh:

Can I also ask, if you are a Christian? :sexywink: To be honest, I actually looking forward to see more people like you. I never thought there were any possibility to see the US fail in my generation, but may be that day is not that farway?

BTW, just checked the news and found something rather exciting. 84 pandas in the Wo Long Gian Panda research center are all safe. :yes:

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Yeah the post was out of line, but Big Brother deserves criticism.

No, actually I think it's quite natural.

With a grandfather who fought in the Korea war, grow up with the economic sanction, I celebrated the 9-11 with two bottle of wine. But I was too young at that time to understand what the world really is.

It just funny to see someone could stopped at the teenage maturity all life.

If you mean the idea of having God punish innocent people with natural disasters for the crimes of their government then yes, it is immature and stupid.

Obsequious admiration of government and nationalism is at least as ugly.

I am not a Christian.

A_Wanderer said:
If you mean the idea of having God punish innocent people with natural disasters for the crimes of their government then yes, it is immature and stupid.

Obsequious admiration of government and nationalism is at least as ugly.

I am not a Christian.

The direct translation for "Nationalism" in Chinese, is a 100% positive word, it's equal to call someone a hero.

If "obsequious admiration" can make Bush give up Iraq, I'd do it 3 times a day in a routine. I don't care to be the ugly one, if millions would be saved.

It may well be, and that demonstrates how effectively a state can mold peoples minds. Love of nation and for the actions of government is ignorant and you will be abused by your government if you believe in it without question.

You can oppose Bush without giving deference to autocrats.

It is love of state that gives Bush support, it is nationalism that supports Americas arms industry and it is those attitudes that have sent men to their deaths since the dawn of time for good or ill.

Iraq is absolutely nothing compared to the death engineered under the Great Leap Forward. Bush is not what made the Chinese state apparatus use violence to break up student protests in 1989. America does not justify abuses in Tibet (and I agree that the Dali Llama represents a nasty feudal tradition; I don't think that justifies any and all things that China has done).

Tianasquare.jpg

Is that unknown rebel a nationalist?

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
It may well be, and that demonstrates how effectively a state can mold peoples minds. Love of nation and for the actions of government is ignorant and you will be abused by your government if you believe that.

It is love of state that gives Bush support, it is nationalism that supports Americas arms industry and it is those attitudes that have sent men to their deaths since the dawn of time for good or ill.

Iraq is absolutely nothing compared to the death engineered under the Great Leap Forward. Bush is not what made the Chinese state apparatus use violence to break up student protests in 1989. America does not justify abuses in Tibet (and I agree that the Dali Llama represents a nasty feudal tradition).

Tianasquare.jpg

It's a perfect picture.

Think, if the government want these people to die, why he can stop the tanks? I guess he would be already crushed into mince before someone could snap this picture.

Iraq is one country invade another country, so I don't think you can compare it with the other events you mentioned above.

BTW, I guess you didn't talk to anyone who participated in the 89 protest. Two biggest pro-China demonstration in Germany were actually leaded and organised by two people who was the students in the square on 4th June, 1989.

Last edited:
He can stop the tanks because state security services can quietly execute somebody without as much bad press. That there is internal censorship within China that seems to have flushed the events down the memory hole is not a good thing (I really recommend that you check out George Orwell's book 1984, it is a good read).

And you are right, it has nothing to do with Iraq, it has to do with a state using force to suppress citizens.

Is that wrong, a necessarily evil or positive?

The government is not your friend, it will lie to you because it is serving other self-interested parties and factions, and that is not only a statement about China it is a statement about every government anywhere at any time.

Last edited:
I was just stated my opinion, I've been following the atrocities in Myanmar closely. They are right next door to China and yet no help. The Junta there are taking supplies for themselves and letting people go hungry. No one knows the real toll of death there, but now China is all over the media and asking for help.

All I'm saying is that it is ironic and strange and rather eerie for an earthquake to happen. Whether its Karma, God or as simple as what comes around goes around, the situation as a whole is rather ironic.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

retribution on the part of whom?

You're insinuating that I meant someone, where as all I meant was it is rather eerie, ironic and strange all at the same time that China is behind alot of horror and now they get the biggest earthquake in 30 years.

Thats it. Don't assume. Its just a statement and nothing else.

JCOSTER said:
I was just stated my opinion, I've been following the atrocities in Myanmar closely. They are right next door to China and yet no help. The Junta there are taking supplies for themselves and letting people go hungry. No one knows the real toll of death there, but now China is all over the media and asking for help.

All I'm saying is that it is ironic and strange and rather eerie for an earthquake to happen. Whether is be Karma, God or as simple as what comes around goes around, the situation as a whole is rather ironic.

Welcome back from Mars. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom