China bans plastic shopping bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
BEIJING - Declaring war on the "white pollution" choking its cities, farms and waterways, China is banning free plastic shopping bags and calling for a return to the cloth bags of old — steps largely welcomed by merchants and shoppers on Wednesday.

The measure eliminates the flimsiest bags and forces stores to charge for others, making China the latest nation to target plastic bags in a bid to cut waste and conserve resources.

Beijing residents appeared to take the ban in stride, reflecting rising environmental consciousness and concern over skyrocketing oil prices.

They certainly don't have many environmental policies, but this is a nice step in the right direction.

Most grocery stores here now sell cloth bags for 99 cents. It's not that huge of an investment to buy a few and reuse.

Using a reusable bag comes as natural to me as grocery shopping itself. I honestly do not get why anybody would use a plastic bag. :shrug:

As someone who works in a grocery store and sees the waste we all produce, this is definitely a step in the right direction and should be an inspiration to other nations.

I wonder if our store has cloth bags. They always use plastic, even if you ask for paper, they start using plastic. Usually I'm returning cans so I put the groceries back in my can box. I like a plastic bag from Target every once in a while b/c I use them in our trash bin and for the cat litter.

Looking at doing this byt he end of the year in Australia this year as well.

Cloth bags all the way - if you have the same ones the major supermarkets use here, the square ones with a solid base, they're far better anyway. Fit more, stronger, easier to carry, stay upright in your car etc.

I have a cool cloth bag that I bought from my grocery store especially for grocery shopping. It has little hooks so you can attach it to the inside of your shopping cart and it holds a LOT of stuff. I always use it and I would think it saves a good 10 plastic bags each time I do a weeks' shopping.

A mental image that will always stay with me is being in the ancient and almost mystical desert city of Timbuktu...mud brick houses, camels, Tuaregs in long robes and piles of plastic bags blowing through the sand dunes like tumbleweed. :(

Today was my first week of using cloth bags to do my grocery shopping. I bought 3 of the 99cent ones and they hold so much! I didn't even have to take my cart to my car because I can carry the bags over my sholders with the big handles. Sooo easy. I was the only person I saw doing it. Hopefully this will catch on.

I've had a couple of the superstore/loblaws ones break their straps, but the A&P bags are pretty sturdy. I'm really glad to see the grocery stores here almost competing in trying to get consumers away from plastic bags :up:

DrTeeth said:
Using a reusable bag comes as natural to me as grocery shopping itself. I honestly do not get why anybody would use a plastic bag. :shrug:
Because you keep them and put your rubbish in them, or wrap a lunchbox with it.

I have a couple of totes I bought at the grocery store and use them whenever I shop. I'd like to get several more because they are wonderful and there are times when two bags isn't enough (plus they are good for general toteage :) ). Unfortunately, I haven't seen them lately at any of several Kroger stores I go to. I hope they get more in soon, but if not I can get them elsewhere.

When I do get the plastic grocery bags I reuse them for other things such as waste basket liners, dog-bomb removal, kitty litter clean up, etc. I also keep several in my car for when I shop and forget to bring the cloth bags.

That's certainly a step in the right directions. I heard Australia is considering a law like that as well, Peter Garrett is pushing for a ban of plastic bags. All I can say is I am so annoyed whenever someone in a shop tries to get me to take a free plastic bag. Most people take it and it upsets me to think how much trash we are producing with these avoidable things. I use either paper or cloth bags.

Most stores are selling cloth bags now, they are sturdy as long as you don't put something like a large turkey in them. They're usually only about a dollar so they're easily replaced. Easier to carry your groceries in too, you can fit more in them then you can in plastic bags and they won't be too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom