Children Shooting at Marines - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2003, 06:53 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Dreadsox:

If the US wanted to strengthen the UN sanctions it's a bad idea to give the UN a ultimatum at the beginning and to ignore the UN if it dosn't agree to the US (miss)interpretation of UN laws
I do believe, that you will find that from the time Bush came into office attempts were made to stregnthen sanctions. I also bet you will find that the countries that blocked these attempts are the same countries that are opposed to the war.

Again, we can both site sources of "INTERPRETATION" of the UN Laws. However, I think the 12 years of the Security Council ignoring the violations, as well as the fact that three of the permanent members are directly responsible for their erosion and "reinterpretation" of the prior resolutions. Research it, which of the nations on the security council was the first nation in the world to fly directly into Bagdahd after the Gulf War? This was a clear violation/reinterpretation of a prior resolution.

The Security Council has allowed violations of it's "LAWS" for 12 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

Another hint that the US wants to get rid of the UN:

Colin Powel starts diplomatic contacts with the Nato to get the Nato the job done what is UN business, the reconstruction of Iraq.

Why? I can only speculate at this point but i guess the Nato is easier controlable for the US than the UN is.

Klaus
I am sorry, but I do seem to recall that France said they would again VETO any efforts for reconstruction because it would legitimize the war. How can we work through the UN if FRANCE, one nation, once again stands in the way of the security council?

Peace

Matt

Old 04-03-2003, 08:52 AM   #47
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Dreadsox:

hiphop's posting convinced me that it's a wrong interpretation of the US side:

Argumentation was something like:

"as long as the un security council members say no to the war (and they said that while they created that resulution and after that) it would be a tragic missinterpretation that "serious consequences" could have ment "war".

At least from my knowledge about laws you have to search for the intention of the law (or resolution in this case) if you are unsure about the words.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am sorry, but I do seem to recall that France said they would again VETO any efforts for reconstruction because it would legitimize the war. How can we work through the UN if FRANCE, one nation, once again stands in the way of the security council?
I haven't heared of that one, i heared in an interview that the French would help to rebuild Iraq if it's done under complete UN- (and not under US-) control.

If that Veto thing is true that would let me see things different.

And to the US "help" of enforcing laws.
What would you think if a private group inside the US would start to enforce US laws and decide how to enforce them?
Would you think that's legal?

Klaus

Old 04-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #48
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Dreadsox:

here a press relase to the topic above:

Quote:
[b]US ambassador says no need for UN General Assembly session on Iraq[b]
from AFP www.afp.com

UNITED NATIONS, April 2 (AFP) - US ambassador to the United Nations John Negroponte said Wednesday he saw no need for a UN General Assembly session on Iraq.

"We do not think that it is either necessary or desirable," he told journalists.

"We noticed some talks among delegations, perhaps Arab delegations, and from the non-aligned organization. We see no reason, no reason whatsoever, to transport this issue to the General Assembly," Negroponte said.

The five permanent members of the Security Council -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- cannot exercise their veto right on the General Assembly, which comprises all 191 UN members.

Negroponte said there would be ample opportunity for the Council to discuss Iraq in April. Speaking after a closed-door agenda-setting meeting of the Council, he said humanitarian aid would be the main issue.

He declined to discuss questions on post-war reconstruction.

"The questions that really are before us have to do more with the ongoing conflict and the humanitarian situation," he said.

be/pfm/gs AFP 022100 GMT 04 03

Copyright (c) 2003 Agence France-Presse
I'm not sure about that one, but it seems to me that there is a way without the security council (if they are afraid of vetos) by doing a General Assembly session? But the US don't see a need to do this?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 AM
I would love to see it. The rules in the security council need to be revamped. I would love to see the veto taken away from the five countries that hold the power. I think it stops them from creating clear resolutions that are not ambiguous. I also think it would help resolve the Palestinian problem.

I would love to see the general assembly get involved. I am sure Bush does not want it.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:00 AM   #50
Refugee

Dreadsox:

i agree with you at this point.