"Children Of All Ages Have To Behave" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
When I went to see the last Mission Impossible (it was on the night it came out, a Wednesday) there were people there with a very young infant-that movie was quite loud and violent, I can't imagine subjecting an infant to that. The baby kept crying and screaming, she was obviously tired and probably scared of the audio assault.

The theater can't do anything, I'm sure they'd be accused of discrimination if they did, if they tried to keep infants/kids out of certain movies(supposedly they can do something about disruption if people complain). Of course there are plenty of adults who are disruptive at movies too.

I find it interesting that stores, etc. are starting to put up these types of signs, in my experience most people and establishments never complain about disruptive kids. I usually just give dirty looks and shake my head

Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 PM
My 11-year old doesn't like the volume levels in movie theaters. I can't imagine what it does to an infant.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I find it interesting that stores, etc. are starting to put up these types of signs, in my experience most people and establishments never complain about disruptive kids. I usually just give dirty looks and shake my head

while i've never yelled at a child, i've just recently started yelling at loud people in movie theaters. i yelled at someone in "rent" and i yelled at someone when i saw "catch me if you can." all adults, and all inexplicably talking at normal conversation levels throughout the movie.

fuck them. i paid $9.25. i'm damn well going to enjoy it.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
while i've never yelled at a child, i've just recently started yelling at loud people in movie theaters. i yelled at someone in "rent" and i yelled at someone when i saw "catch me if you can." all adults, and all inexplicably talking at normal conversation levels throughout the movie.

fuck them. i paid $9.25. i'm damn well going to enjoy it.

Off topic, my apologies to Mrs S. . .

I've noticed a trend lately among some groups of teenagers to stage a contest to go into a crowded movie and see how quickly you can disrupt everyone and get thrown out.

It makes me wonder, do today's teens really have that much money to throw away?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476
It makes me wonder, do today's teens really have that much money to throw away?
Yes. Parents find it easier to give them some $$ and drop them off at the mall. From my observations, the amount of interaction between parents and children drops significantly at age 12-13.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Yes. Parents find it easier to give them some $$ and drop them off at the mall. From my observations, the amount of interaction between parents and children drops significantly at age 12-13.
I guess that explains it. If you're dropped off at the movies frequently, you'll eventually get bored, and so you create your own entertainment. And since it's not your money anyway, you aren't concerned about losing it.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I remember there was a proposal to ban children from a shopping mall once. To me, that was bliss.

Parents seem to be under the impression their children are cute and charming. Newsflash: they aren't necessarily to the rest of us. I can't tell you how much it annoys me to go to a mall on the weekend and it's so obvious that some parents bring their kids there so that they can be somebody else's burden. Running around, screaming, banging on the walls of the bathroom stalls and so on.

I used to work at a hockey arena when I was a student. I remember there would be kids climbing up over the seats, running around obstructing the view of other paying customers, dunking popcorn into Coke and flinging it at another kid's head (who happened to be 4 rows in front so that everyone in between got a nice shower), and I kid you not, half the time the ushers would go and speak to the parents and get a response like "Oh, come on, don't be a hardass, they're just trying to have fun."

Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

That's a good point, why are people so intimidated as far as saying anything to/about adults and their kids? Well I speak for myself, I am. Which is pathetic. When I saw Rent these teenagers in the front were being very inappropriate, I just did my "sssh" a few times. Has anyone here ever gone to complain to a manager?

I saw Walk The Line w/ my Mother, she confronted some loud 20 somethings. I just moved a few rows forward and stayed there for most of the movie Why should people be afraid/embarrassed to confront people who are disrupting something they've paid their hard earned money for? A few months back, at War of the Worlds, this woman got all nasty w/ this guy because he told her to go outside for her cell phone convo, what a nerve.I called her a bitch after she left, I think her kids heard me.. they seemed embarrassed by her too though. People brought small kids to that movie too, they were obviously scared.

I do say something when people kick my seat, that drives me crazy. I have long legs and I can manage not to do that. That's why I usually go to the back row.

/tangent/ but bottom line is the adults don't set the best example for the kids all the time..
Old 12-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

as far as movies go, i think the only solution is to stay out of your average mall cineplex (which feels more like an airport anyway) and go support your independent (sort of) theaters that show smaller indie movies. you won't find obnoxious teenagers there, and the teenagers you will find will be of the smart, artsy type who can be wonderful to engage in conversation with.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #25
Refugee

^^

Or save the money and get a nice home theater system. At $9.25 per show, that's only 541 tickets!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
That's a good point, why are people so intimidated as far as saying anything to/about adults and their kids? Well I speak for myself, I am. Which is pathetic.
For me, it's because I had enough experience in this area to realize that some parents are psycho, and they will have no trouble bitching YOU out if you so much as suggest that their child is inconveniencing you.

When we were little, if somebody would have approached my parents and requested of them that we behave, we'd be in so much trouble that it simply wasn't worth it. Seems like these days, it's your fault for having the audacity to complain, and not the kid's fault for being an idiot.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #27
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

For me, it's because I had enough experience in this area to realize that some parents are psycho, and they will have no trouble bitching YOU out if you so much as suggest that their child is inconveniencing you.

When we were little, if somebody would have approached my parents and requested of them that we behave, we'd be in so much trouble that it simply wasn't worth it. Seems like these days, it's your fault for having the audacity to complain, and not the kid's fault for being an idiot.

You've hit the nail on the head...instead of a "thank you for letting me know" you are more likely to get a ration of shit and a "how dare you" attitude.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

That's exactly it, it's as if the person who complains is in the wrong - it is so twisted. Not to mention honestly I am afraid sometimes that they will confront me later in the parking lot or whatever.

And same goes for me if I had misbehaved, maybe part of the problem is that the kids know the parents will defend them no matter what kids are very observant and pick up on that.

Unfortunately the only movie theater that is easy for me to get to is a multiplex.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Perhaps it was the result of a era where we were told to never spank your children. Too often, I see parents trying to reason with their children or be the friends of their children instead of the parents of their children. In my experience, children crave boundries. And giving them clear boundries gives them freedom to live within those boundries, instead of trying to guess where the boundries are.
You know, I was never, ever spanked. Never. And I knew I wouldn't be, and I knew from a very young age that no one had the right to spank me either. But I was a good kid. Did I pitch fits or have crying jags once in a while? Yep, of course I did. But my mum was a smart, resourceful woman who handled it without pissing everyone in the area off (by allowing me to continue unabated) and without resorting to violence against me.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

we don't hit other people, why is hitting a child acceptable?
That's exactly what my mum said....well she put it this way "why is it legal to hit a child but illegal to hit an adult?"