Child Sex Trafficking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Oprah is doing a show about this topic today, Christiane Amanpour is her guest

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200511/20051102/slide_20051102_284_201.jhtml

The trafficking of children for the purposes of prostitution has been called the ugliest, most preventable man-made disaster in the world. One brave person who has seen the realities of this desperate, depraved underworld up close is CNN international reporter Christiane Amanpour.

Christiane says she has witnessed instances in which parents or guardians sell girls—some as young as 10 years old—into prostitution. Sometimes they do so with the full knowledge of what is to come. At other times the parents or guardians are unaware, believing that the girls will simply be working in some other way to support their families.

According to World Vision, an international children's watch group, a quarter of all who travel internationally so that they may solicit sex from children are U.S. citizens. "As awful as it sounds, that is true," Christiane says. "Of course it's not just American citizens. It's Europeans and, in many parts of the world, it's the local people. Europeans [travel] a lot to Asia and Southeast Asia for that kind of sex service, but the majority, the bulk, is the local community."

Think it's not happening in your neighborhood? Think again. Get the facts on child sex trafficking, and let your voice be heard.

What You Need to Know

Sex Trafficking is the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for the purpose of a commercial sex act in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person forced to perform such an act is under the age of 18 years.

An estimated $9.5 billion is generated in annual revenue from all trafficking activities, with at least $4 billion attributed to the worldwide brothel industry. (Ibid.)

An estimated 2 million children, the majority of them girls, are sexually exploited in the multibillion dollar commercial sex industry. (UNICEF)

An estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked each year. (UNICEF)

Around the world between 50 and 60 percent of the children who are trafficked into sexual slavery are under age 16.

Human trafficking is the second-largest organized crime in the world.

25 percent of all child sex tourists around the world are U.S. citizens.

The largest number of people trafficked into the United States come from East Asia and the Pacific (5,000 to 7,000 victims). The next highest numbers come from Latin America and from Europe and Eurasia, with between 3,500 and 5,500 victims from each. (U.S. Departments of Justice, Health & Human Services, State, Labor, Homeland Security, Agriculture, and the U.S. Agency for International Development. 2004. Assessment of U.S. Government Activities to Combat Trafficking in Persons. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.

to send a letter to your Reps

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200511/tows_past_20051102_letter.jhtml

Lifetime channel

produced a really good 4 hour 2 part mini-series on this called: Human Trafficking

here is the site

it was hard to watch

one thing it left me with
was a 100 per cent disdain for any man that participates in this horrific practice

i would like to see real long sentences for them.

its disgusting and it makes me sick. Anyone caught should be vaporized off the face of the planet.

deep said:
was a 100 per cent disdain for any man that participates in this horrific practice

I'd extend the same to those who conduct the deals and the places that welcome the business.

I was able to see some of it and they were talking about girls as young as FIVE years old..and the majority of the men paying for the sex w/ these children refuse to use condoms too.

There should be outrage all over the world about this, most people know this goes on..but where is the outrage? Especially from politicians and world leaders?

deep said:
Lifetime channel

produced a really good 4 hour 2 part mini-series on this called: Human Trafficking

here is the site

it was hard to watch

Human Trafficking:

Slavery is alive and well in our most enlightened, tolerant, and progressive world.

It was one of the most horrific films I have ever watched.

Reality scares me much more than made-up horror movies.

Do a Google search on "slavery"

and see what you find.

I teach Language Arts in a middle school and I introduce a lesson on a certain novel by asking students to raise their hands if any of their ancestors were slaves.

The black students, almosts always, raise their hands.

The other students look around and then looked stunned when I raise my hand.

I'm a white dude.

The slavery of African-Americans was evil, but we have failed to teach that this devil has been everywhere in the history of humankind.

Slavery, as an evil, has existed throughout history and it has infected all cultures and races. We and our ancestors have all been victims.

It is still happenning.

I hope/pray that we wake up and put this evil away.

By The Associated PressSat Oct 29,12:29 PM ET

Some recent human trafficking cases prosecuted by law enforcement authorities in the United States:

_Authorities in California arrested more than 40 people this summer for allegedly conspiring to smuggle scores of South Korean women into the country to work as prostitutes. Some of the women allegedly paid $16,000 each to be smuggled and were expected to repay their debts by through prostitution earnings.

_Federal officials in Florida last year reported that a 14-year-old Mexican girl was held captive in a trailer and forced to have sex with as many as 30 men a day. Her only possession was a teddy bear.

_Women as young as 14 were smuggled into the United States from rural Honduran villages and put to work in three northern New Jersey bars, drinking and dancing with customers to repay the smugglers, who beat the women if they objected, according to a federal indictment in July. Some of the women were raped by the smugglers, and those who became pregnant were forced to take abortion-inducing drugs so they could stay on the job.

_A now-separated couple from Egypt were charged in February with holding a girl from their country as a slave in their Irvine, Calif., home, forcing her to work under harsh conditions for no pay. Authorities said the girl, now in foster care, was forced to sleep in the garage, which had no light or ventilation, was forbidden from playing outside and never allowed to attend school or see a doctor in two years with the family.

_A Litchfield, N.H., couple were sentenced last year to six years in prison for forcing Jamaican laborers to work in their tree-cutting business. Timothy Bradley, 43, and Kathleen O'Dell, 48, were convicted of taking the workers' passports and visas, lying to them and reneging on promises about pay and housing.

_A Berkeley, Calif., landlord and restaurateur, Lakireddy Bali Reddy, was sentenced to more than eight years in federal prison in 2001 for smuggling teenage girls from India for sex and cheap labor. Reddy came under investigation after a 17-year old girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning in an apartment he owned.

MrsSpringsteen said:

There should be outrage all over the world about this, most people know this goes on..but where is the outrage? Especially from politicians and world leaders?

i think the lack of outrage largely stems from the fact that there's a large demand for this kind of thing. it's a multi-billion dollar industry--the simple fact is that there are a lot of men out there who actively seek out this sort of thing, as sick as that may be.

i'm guessing that another reason is that there is a large number of powerful men involved on some level, either as 'customers' or as profiteers, including businessmen and politicians.

some members of the UN and NATO peacekeeping troops in kosova were found to be involved in local sex trafficking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3686173.stm :

Amnesty International UK Director Kate Allen said:

"Women and girls as young as 11 are being sold into sexual slavery in Kosovo and international peacekeepers are not only failing to stop it they are actively fuelling this despicable trade by themselves paying for sex from trafficked women..."

Amnesty says Unmik's own figures show that by the end of 2003, 10 of their police officers had been dismissed or repatriated in connection with allegations related to trafficking...

However, Kfor troops and UN personnel are immune from prosecution in Kosovo and those who have been dismissed relating to such offences have escaped any criminal proceedings in their home countries.

it blows my mind that peacekeeping troops were caught and then sent home unpunished. where is the outrage, indeed.

This is not anything new..............this has been going on for years and years.......check back to the 2001 UNICEF site about children in slavery (52 million back then)....................and you know what ever gets done about it???

Nothing.....

:huh:

The website for ECPAT (End Child Prostitution and Trafficking) maintains an extensive database of statistics and analysis on child sex trafficking in dozens of countries (ecpat.net/eng/Ecpat_inter/projects/monitoring/online_database/index.asp).

Reading through it does not leave one feeling very optimistic about the prospects for ending this vile practice anytime soon. It is an extremely complex, difficult to trace, and increasingly globalized trade fueled by a dishearteningly long and complicated list of factors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom