Cheney Went Hunting Again, And...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
No he didn't shoot anyone, but Al Sharpton is upset

NY Daily News

Sharpton chides Cheney over Confederate flag flap

BY JOE GOULD and DAVE GOLDINER
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Tuesday, October 30th 2007

EXCLUSIVE: The Confederate flag hangs inside a garage at the Clove Valley Rod and Gun Club.

alg_cheneyflag.jpg

Nobody got shot, but Vice President Cheney still fired up controversy Monday when he went hunting at a private club that hangs the Confederate flag.

A Daily News photographer captured the 3-by-5 foot Dixie flag affixed to a door in the garage of the Clove Valley Gun and Rod Club in upstate Union Vale, N.Y.

"It's appalling for the VP to be at a private club displaying the flag of lynching, hate and murder," said the Rev. Al Sharpton. "It's the epitome of an insult."

Sharpton demanded Cheney distance himself from the exclusive club where the Stars and Bars was flown, and said he might hold a prayer vigil there.

Club officials threatened a reporter with arrest when he sought comment.

The flag fiasco is especially upsetting because blacks have recently been subjected to an upsurge of racial threats, including nooses left in Jena, La., and Columbia University, he said.

"This is an outrage - he ought to leave immediately," Sharpton told The News. "He ought to apologize to the American people for being there in the first place."

"That flag brings back painful memories of the old, old South," said Elouise Maxey, 59, president of the Northern Dutchess County branch of the NAACP. "I'm disappointed that he would go."

Cheney spokeswoman Lee Anne McBride said Cheney did not know anything about the controversy.

"The VP did not see the flag and neither did anyone on staff," said McBride.

The veep earlier left traffic snarled - but little ill will - as he rolled into the bucolic shooting club with a 15-car convoy.

Helicopters buzzed overhead and cops blocked off roads around the spectacular 2,500-acre preserve, where Cheney visited once before in 2001.

The place is complete with a picturesque lodge decorated with stuffed game.

"As long as he doesn't shoot somebody in the a--," Bill Tryon, 48, said he was fine with Cheney's visit. Tryon lives in the area.

There was no repeat of last year's snafu, when Cheney shot an old pal in the face during a quail hunt in south Texas.

"It should be water under the bridge," said Ralph Mondello, who is running for a spot on the local town council.

"We're happy to provide him with a day of hunting in Dutchess County," added Union Vale Supervisor Lisette Hitsman.

Still, some Dutchess County residents blasted the vice president for taking part in what they called a canned hunt.

Farm-bred pheasants were released on the preserve 24 hours before Cheney arrived, making them easy targets for the hunting party.

"The way they hunt, I'm not fond of," said Linda Smith, 52, who runs a local preschool. "It's not what I would call a real sportsmanlike activity."

unico said:
last year i saw one in Dublin! :lol: i felt right at home.

I see them in England. People seem to associate the Confederate flag with the Wild West and cowboys. Tacky "American West" themed shops usually sell things with the flag on them and have one hanging outside (I was tempted to walk into one I saw at the seaside to ask if they realised how offensive it was). Someone on an expat board I read said that her workplace had a western-themed party, and when she walked in, she was shocked to see the tables draped in Confederate flags.

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to when I go to Virginia next month. Lots of biting my tongue....

meegannie said:

I see them in England. People seem to associate the Confederate flag with the Wild West and cowboys. Tacky "American West" themed shops usually sell things with the flag on them and have one hanging outside (I was tempted to walk into one I saw at the seaside to ask if they realised how offensive it was). Someone on an expat board I read said that her workplace had a western-themed party, and when she walked in, she was shocked to see the tables draped in Confederate flags.

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to when I go to Virginia next month. Lots of biting my tongue....

Eep. I think some of those people you mentioned have "Western" confused with "Southern"

Yeah, you're in for a treat in VA. But where you are going is really nice. I highly recommend going up the Blue Ridge Parkway for some spectacular views. It doesn't look like we'll be having much snow, and if you are here when the leaves are still changing colors it will be gorgeous! Hopefully the leaf colors can draw the attention to the bright and waving confederate and kkk flags.

meegannie said:
:huh:

As far as the thread topic goes, I don't know that there's much of a story here, really--it doesn't sound like Cheney knew the flag was even there, and I'm not sure how much a Confederate flag hanging inside a garage on the property can be said to say about a hunting club's membership. It is kinda strange to see one in upstate NY (perhaps the club owners are Southerners?)--then again, I occasionally see that flag in the Midwest too.

I think we're all missing the real victory here: Dick Cheney spent a full day hunting with no bullets to the face!:applaud:

And Al Sharpton...we know. If we're white, it's irrefutably proven that we hate black people.:rolleyes:

yolland said:
As far as the thread topic goes, I don't know that there's much of a story here, really--it doesn't sound like Cheney knew the flag was even there, and I'm not sure how much a Confederate flag hanging inside a garage on the property can be said to say about a hunting club's membership. It is kinda strange to see one in upstate NY (perhaps the club owners are Southerners?)--then again, I occasionally see that flag in the Midwest too.

Agreed. It's a piece of cloth. It can only symbolize something if people allow it to.

(Besides that, you could take the flag away and the attitudes that some associate with that flag will still be there)

Angela

unico said:
last year i saw one in Dublin! :lol: i felt right at home.

Cork hurling and/or Cork football supporters sometimes wear shirts and carry flags with the confederacy logo on them. There is an association with the red colours of Cork and the red color of the Confederacy flag, and also Cork being in the south of Ireland expressing its independence of and disdain for Dublin.

If you saw a Confederacy type slogan or design on a garment or flag in Dublin during a weekend when Cork where playing in Croke Park, I'd be almost certain it was a Corkonian 'up for the match'.

The same people also wear bright red t-shirts with the slogan 'Independent Republic of Cork' emblazoned on them (instead of 'Independent Republic of China') so overall I wouldn't place any great political significance on it. Interesting little social observation, all the same.

Last edited:
unico said:
i was at Glendalough, and it was on the back of a pickup truck lol...thats why i felt at home. it was a little bumper sticker.

On further examination, sounds like an actual genuine Confederacy supporter. :eek:

U2democrat said:
Yeah, last I checked NY was a Union state....
The South will rise again!!! :wink:

yeeeeha! :crack:

Unfortunately it's shocking, yet not SO suprising :(. New Jersey - NYS & NYC's right-next-door neighbor- has had one of the hightest rates of KKK members in The North. If they're in NJ- some of them have to be in NYS/NYC. :yuck:
NYS was one of [if not] the last Northern States to ban slavery.

Last edited:
meegannie said:

I didn't know it had that association over in Europe!:huh:
Tho it makes sense IF you consider Texas. Texas IS a Westerrn State, but it's ALSO a Southern State.

meegannie said:

:ohmy:
:lmao: :lmao:

:uhoh:Be CAREFUL!!! :hug:
You don't want to be coming home with a Southern' "fat lip"! :no:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom