Cheney: Economic Stats Miss EBay Sales - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #16
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
Local Time: 11:36 AM

Old 09-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:36 PM
The ironic part is if the economy is poor, more people will be trying to sell their worldly possessions on Ebay--but there will be fewer buyers for those items. Higher gas prices mean less discretionary income!

Old 09-18-2004, 02:01 AM   #18
you are what you is
Local Time: 08:36 PM
it's already refreshing that someone in this campaign acknowlegdes the economy

too bad it's a laughable statement like this really

but you can't win them all
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-18-2004, 02:48 AM   #19
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:36 AM
If the Aussie dollar gets higher it is us that can buy all of your dispossed peoples assets, mwhahahaha - we will buy out America one day
Old 09-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #20
War Child
That really is quite funny in a sad way...

It reminds me of how recently Bush said that "junk lawsuits" are slowing the economy and preventing the creation of new jobs.

I do know someone who I think (but honestly am not sure) makes some considerable income off selling on EBay, but it's as a sort of middleman buying on the cheap things from one group of folks to sell to another group willing to pay a lot for it.
Seems the kind of capitalism that depends on that "Two Americas" Edwards refered to...
People with lots and lots and lots of resources and others with so little they're happy to sell things they've hung onto for perhaps sentimental reasons to put a little more food on the table.

very sad indeed...
Old 09-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by STING2
The current 5.4% unemployment rate is the 5th lowest unemployment rate in the world! It is also one of the lowest unemployment rates of the past 30 years. The United States has the highest GDP growth rate of any modern industrialized economy in the world as well as the 8th highest standard of living according to the United Nations.
the numbers you quote are not necessarily bad, but variable calculation requires all sorts of disclaimers when doing international comparisons.

the verity of certain nations economic indicators is sometimes questioned. the u.s. is one of those i consider to be 'favorable'. something to keep in mind when doing comparatives.

Originally posted by

It is one of those comments that somehow becomes newsworthy. Cheney's comment and Edwards retort are, unfortunately, the level of political reporting we get today.
it works all ways. the public wants simple discussion, the campaigns want simple discussion and the media facilitates the interface.

im the candyman. and the candyman is back.