Cheney-Bush 2004! Don't look here. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2004, 07:04 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 02:12 AM
sometimes in haste to those we oppose -some inadvertently post ERRONEOUS info found on the internet:

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

md.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by max d.
sometimes in haste to those we oppose -some inadvertently post ERRONEOUS info found on the internet:

That's especially ironic since you got this from the Drudge Report. Interesting if it's true, but that doesn't invalidate the other 291 or so images that are legitimate.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #33
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

md.
I'm sorry how does this negate the photos at the beginning of this thread? Unless I can't count or these are doctored photos coming from some left wing conspiracy, I'm not sure what this has to do with it.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 PM   #34
The Fly

Local Time: 02:12 AM
As long as we don't start blaming Dick and George for the space shuttle tragedy, we should be fine.

md
Old 04-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Well, it did happen during GWB's watch...
Old 04-23-2004, 09:25 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
As long as we don't start blaming Dick and George for the space shuttle tragedy, we should be fine.

md
Nice avoidance of the subject.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Nice avoidance of the subject.
because some of the pictures posted on this page, which could include some of the pictures in the begining of this thread, were NOT of soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan, rather of members of the Columbia Crew.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

because some of the pictures posted on this page, which could include some of the pictures in the begining of this thread, were NOT of soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan, rather of members of the Columbia Crew.
No I understood the article, but it's obvious that most of the pics posted in this are not of the Columbia Crew, so how does this discredit this thread? I didn't understand the context and how this person was accusing people of posting erroneous info, because of our haste.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #39
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:12 AM
What's the problem in showing these pictures?
Everyone knows that these people are dying so let the media decide if they want to show it or not.
We live in a democracy and therefore we need free media.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

if it was a family member of yours lying in one of those caskets, would you be so willing to shrug it off as just a case of "free media?"

i for one don't have a problem with them showing caskets... it's a fact of war. but i can most certainly see why family members of the victims would have a serious objection to it.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:05 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

It isn't about "respect for family members." It is all about fearing another public backlash like the Vietnam War. That's also why American news organizations are no longer allowed to broadcast combat scenes. All the war footage we get is government propaganda.

If war is so "glamorous" for "freedom," then what is there to hide? After all, I think "The Passion of Christ" effectively ramped up our bloodlust.

Melon
Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #42
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Headache in a Suitcase:
Quote:
if it was a family member of yours lying in one of those caskets, would you be so willing to shrug it off as just a case of "free media?"
You think they shouldn't have aired pictures of the colapsing WTC because of the feelings of the victims family-members? (you could stop approx. 50% of all news with this logic)

Klaus
Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

please... go back and re-read what i wrote, rather than just take what you want from it. here... let me repost it for you.

Quote:
i for one don't have a problem with them showing caskets... it's a fact of war. but i can most certainly see why family members of the victims would have a serious objection to it.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Several weeks ago, there was an outraged thread in this forum about how papers in Europe sanitized the Madrid bombing photos by photoshopping body parts out.

So, in effect, we should see torn limbs in Madrid, but cannot see flag draped caskets in America? How do you figure?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:52 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Several weeks ago, there was an outraged thread in this forum about how papers in Europe sanitized the Madrid bombing photos by photoshopping body parts out.

So, in effect, we should see torn limbs in Madrid, but cannot see flag draped caskets in America? How do you figure?
It's hypocrisy, of course. The difference is that, from an American POV, Europeans are about as faceless as Al-Qaeda. To be fair, though, nearly all people do this to people they have no proximity to. If Dubya wanted to know why the rest of the world wouldn't plunge themselves in incessant mourning over 9/11, it is for the same reason that the U.S. didn't go into incessant mourning over IRA bombings, ETA bombings, etc.

Melon