Cheney-Bush 2004! Don't look here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sometimes in haste to those we oppose -some inadvertently post ERRONEOUS info found on the internet:

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

md.

Last edited:
max d. said:
sometimes in haste to those we oppose -some inadvertently post ERRONEOUS info found on the internet:

That's especially ironic since you got this from the Drudge Report. Interesting if it's true, but that doesn't invalidate the other 291 or so images that are legitimate.

max d. said:

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

md.

I'm sorry how does this negate the photos at the beginning of this thread? Unless I can't count or these are doctored photos coming from some left wing conspiracy, I'm not sure what this has to do with it.

As long as we don't start blaming Dick and George for the space shuttle tragedy, we should be fine.

md

Headache in a Suitcase said:

because some of the pictures posted on this page, which could include some of the pictures in the begining of this thread, were NOT of soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan, rather of members of the Columbia Crew.

No I understood the article, but it's obvious that most of the pics posted in this are not of the Columbia Crew, so how does this discredit this thread? I didn't understand the context and how this person was accusing people of posting erroneous info, because of our haste.

if it was a family member of yours lying in one of those caskets, would you be so willing to shrug it off as just a case of "free media?"

i for one don't have a problem with them showing caskets... it's a fact of war. but i can most certainly see why family members of the victims would have a serious objection to it.

It isn't about "respect for family members." It is all about fearing another public backlash like the Vietnam War. That's also why American news organizations are no longer allowed to broadcast combat scenes. All the war footage we get is government propaganda.

If war is so "glamorous" for "freedom," then what is there to hide? After all, I think "The Passion of Christ" effectively ramped up our bloodlust.

Melon

Headache in a Suitcase:
if it was a family member of yours lying in one of those caskets, would you be so willing to shrug it off as just a case of "free media?"

You think they shouldn't have aired pictures of the colapsing WTC because of the feelings of the victims family-members? (you could stop approx. 50% of all news with this logic)

Klaus

Several weeks ago, there was an outraged thread in this forum about how papers in Europe sanitized the Madrid bombing photos by photoshopping body parts out.

So, in effect, we should see torn limbs in Madrid, but cannot see flag draped caskets in America? How do you figure?

anitram said:
Several weeks ago, there was an outraged thread in this forum about how papers in Europe sanitized the Madrid bombing photos by photoshopping body parts out.

So, in effect, we should see torn limbs in Madrid, but cannot see flag draped caskets in America? How do you figure?

It's hypocrisy, of course. The difference is that, from an American POV, Europeans are about as faceless as Al-Qaeda. To be fair, though, nearly all people do this to people they have no proximity to. If Dubya wanted to know why the rest of the world wouldn't plunge themselves in incessant mourning over 9/11, it is for the same reason that the U.S. didn't go into incessant mourning over IRA bombings, ETA bombings, etc.

Melon

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i for one don't have a problem with them showing caskets... it's a fact of war. but i can most certainly see why family members of the victims would have a serious objection to it.

Can you please indicate who all those people are in those caskets? As harrowing as the images are, the picture is quite anonymous. They do not identify specific persons.

I have burried a few family members myself. Still, I have no problem if someone shows a casket (or even their actual casket) since there are no identifying features on it.

C ya!

Marty

melon said:
If Dubya wanted to know why the rest of the world wouldn't plunge themselves in incessant mourning over 9/11, it is for the same reason that the U.S. didn't go into incessant mourning over IRA bombings, ETA bombings, etc.
sad but true

the shock over here only has to do with the idea that "this could also happen to us now"

no matter how cruel it sounds in the end it doesn't matter whether it's Hutsi's vs Tutsi's, catholics vs protestants or Al-Qaeda vs USA

Popmartijn said:

Can you please indicate who all those people are in those caskets? As harrowing as the images are, the picture is quite anonymous. They do not identify specific persons.

I have burried a few family members myself. Still, I have no problem if someone shows a casket (or even their actual casket) since there are no identifying features on it.

C ya!

Marty

i'm really getting tired of this argument... the reason being... i'm not trying to argue. I, me, myself... have no problem what-so-ever with these pictures being printed in the newspapers, on the internet, or show on TV. if it were a relative or a close friend of mine in one of those caskets, i may not be happy about it and i'd try to avoid the pictures, but i certainly wouldn't object to the press' rights to use the pictures. the only thing i said is that i could see why relatives of the dead soldiers may object. not that i personally object, but that i could see the reasoning behind the objections.

why would these pictures be any more objectional than, say, this picture...
_1507925_bono300.jpg

... which was plastered all over the british press and i'm sure many u2 fan sties.

i myself have no problem with that picture being printed... but i could see why bono might have an objection. hopefully i've finally gotten my point across. i'm not arguing with you here... i'm agreeing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom