Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
That certainly does seem laughable. Most women are very discreet about it. Frankly the athletes constantly adjusting themselves is more offensive to me, but the tight uniforms aren't a problem as far as I'm concerned :wink:

Breast defense - Female sports fans battle for right to nurse at stadiums
By Jessica Heslam
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 -

Women in favor of public breastfeeding are demanding the right the nurse their infants in the stands at sports arenas, but say they feel pressured to leave their pricey seats and feed their babies in bathrooms or first aid stations.
``They've paid for their seat, they have the right to be in that seat, so they have the right to breastfeed their baby there – that's our understanding of the law,'' said Lezlie Densmore of La Leche League in Massachusetts.

None of the area's three major sports venues have written policies on breastfeeding, creating confusion among mothers over what is allowed At Gillette Stadium, a spokesman said women can nurse anywhere. But a security official told a Herald reporter inquiring about the policy that mothers must breastfeed in designated areas.

At Fenway, both a fan service representative and a security official said if a fan finds a nursing mother ``offensive'' it is up to park security to decide whether the mother must go to a more discreet area.

# At TD Banknorth Garden, public nursing is handled on a ``case-by-case basis,'' said spokeswoman Courtney McIlhenny.

Dorchester mother Patty Daidone-Hardy said she was told by Gillette Stadium officials on Monday that she could nurse her 3-month-old son in a restroom or other area away from the stands.

She said feeding her baby in a bathroom would be ``unsanitary.''

``Breast milk is my son's only source of nutrition,'' she said. ``I felt like I was committing a crime because I had to nurse my son.''

Gillette spokesman Stacey James said women can breastfeed anywhere in the stadium, including the stands. James said he didn't know why a security officer would tell a caller ``we have family restrooms'' for nursing.

``In the stadium, you can nurse anywhere. If that offended someone, we would be as respectful to all parties as possible,'' James said.
At Fenway, a security official contacted by phone said: ``We wouldn't ask you to leave but we may ask you to go to a more discreet location if someone complained.'' A message left yesterday at the ballpark's media relations office wasn't returned.

But advocates of breastfeeding say any policy that dissuades mothers from nursing in their arena seats plays into negative social attitudes.

``We love naked breasts as long as they are jiggling in front of us for titillation, for sexual excitement and for entertainment,'' said women's rights attorney and former Patriots cheerleader Wendy Murphy. ``But put a naked breast in front of them that is providing nutrition to an infant – and that's too offensive. It's almost laughable.''

Joanne Collins, a Hanover mother who nursed her three children, said women shouldn't be ostracized for breastfeeding.

``I don't care where it is. I don't know why a child should be withheld food because someone else's comfort level is being compromised,'' Collins said.

Massachusetts doesn't have clear-cut laws protecting mothers who want to nurse in public although several bills are pending.

:lol: I'll think about this while riding the little green public transport bus home, women whipping out their bare breasts right and left to nurse their children. Hello people, breasts were made for this purpose! geeez.

If you don't like it, don't watch, simple enough. I don't know if I could personally ever feel comfortable doing it out in the open, but perhaps if I had a blanket over me, then I wouldn't care.

Maybe the answer is to have a public nursery available, in which women with crying babies, or women who need to breastfeed, can go and enjoy a nice clean facility and calm atmosphere.

If maintained properly, this nursery would be a lot cleaner place to breastfeed than a seat in an arena.

All of these people who are offended need to ask themselves, what is the function of a woman's breast?

Far be from me to tell God that he made the ability for a mother to feed their child offensive...

Maybe mothers shouldn't be taking their infant kids to sporting events. Does a 2 month old belong at an NFL game? I don't think so. That's irresponsible parenting. Hire a babysitter. It would be cheaper than buying the kid a ticket.

Why don't they just bring a bottle? Would that make too much sense?

If a woman wants to breast feed her kid in the stands, then she should be prepared for males to say "nice rack" and all the other good stuff that goes on at NFL games.

Last edited:
What bothers me more than breastfeeding in public ever could is some people who change their babies in public when there are plenty of restrooms available w/ those fold down changing tables.

For example, in an airport lounge on a seat (have seen that recently) or on a bench in an outdoor outlet mall (saw that too). I understand that in certain circumstances it's not always possible to go to the restroom, but most times it is. It's unsanitary for other people even if you use a pad, which I assume everyone does.

Breastfeeding is a natural thing, as long as it's done w/ dignity what is the problem? I can't imagine doing it in a stadium seat would be the most pleasant atmosphere for a mother, but when it's necessary... Some sort of lounge would be a nice idea, maybe if men could breastfeed all stadiums and arenas would have been built w/ those lounges .

randhail said:

If a woman wants to breast feed her kid in the stands, then she should be prepared for males to say "nice rack" and all the other good stuff that goes on at NFL games.

Really? I'd like to believe most men have more class than that, even when they're drunk.

randhail said:
Maybe mothers shouldn't be taking their infant kids to sporting events. Does a 2 month old belong at an NFL game? I don't think so. That's irresponsible parenting. Hire a babysitter. It would be cheaper than buying the kid a ticket.
You don't have to buy a 3 month old a ticket. And why is it bad parenting?

randhail said:

So now we're defending the neanderthals...great.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You don't have to buy a 3 month old a ticket. And why is it bad parenting?

Some teams do make you buy seats for the kid.

Why is it bad parenting? Would you take your three month old to a baseball game that doesn't get over til 11pm? Or an NFL game in freezing temperatures? I wouldn't want my kid exposed to that or the vulgarity heard at the games, but that's just me.

randhail said:

Why is it bad parenting? Would you take your three month old to a baseball game that doesn't get over til 11pm? Or an NFL game in freezing temperatures? I wouldn't want my kid exposed to that or the vulgarity heard at the games, but that's just me.

Those are good points.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So now we're defending the neanderthals...great.:|

Maybe they should make a nice and clean facility for men who behave like they're still in puberty.

randhail said:

Some teams do make you buy seats for the kid.
I have never heard of any airline, arena, etc that would ever charge a child under 2 for a seat, if they sit in their parents lap why would they need a seat?

randhail said:

No one said this game ended at 11, or was freezing, and sorry but a 3 month old is not going to be soaking in vulgarity at this point. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing a 3 month old to an NFL game during a nice day.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have never heard of any airline, arena, etc that would ever charge a child under 2 for a seat, if they sit in their parents lap why would they need a seat?

Children
All patrons, including children of any age, must have a ticket to gain entrance into Ford Field for Detroit Lions games.

Glad I live in New England......

And my wife breastfed wherever, and whenever she pleased.

Airlines, Fenway Park, do not require infants to have a ticket as long as they are seated in the parents lap.

DrTeeth said:

Maybe they should make a nice and clean facility for men who behave like they're still in puberty.

That's a good point, also.

randhail said:

Children
All patrons, including children of any age, must have a ticket to gain entrance into Ford Field for Detroit Lions games.

Yeah that's what their website says, wow that sucks. Greedy bastards.

nbcrusader said:
What NFL team has bare breasted cheerleaders???

What about the Dallas Cowboys, last time I noticed they had a very skimpy top that just ties in the front. Most of them have large breasts that spill out considerably :wink:

I see women nursing showing far less than that, every time I've ever seen you can't really see any of the breast.

For discussion purposes, should all natural functions (let's exclude except urination or defecation - for sanitary purposes) be allowed in public places?

So far, the arguments for public breast-feeding have been (1) it is natural and (2) that it’s the function.

I breastfed my 3 children in various public places including restaurants and parks. I was never asked to stop nor did I feel like a criminal for feeding my child. I pity the fool who might have made that mistake though :D

nbcrusader said:

So far, the arguments for public breast-feeding have been (1) it is natural and (2) that it’s the function.

(3) when your baby is hungry......well, you have kids so I'm sure you know what it's like to deal with a hungry infant.....

nbcrusader said:
For discussion purposes, should all natural functions (let's exclude except urination or defecation - for sanitary purposes) be allowed in public places?

Everyone else eats in public...

Back
Top Bottom