Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

So if I'm ever at a sporting event that you're at and you paid to watch the game and I feel the urge to masturbate, I'll whip out my penis and start yanking away. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

So is breastfeeding a sexual act for you Dave?

You cannot handle a woman breastfeeding?

You feel physical pain the way a breastfeeding mother does when it is time to feed?

Or maybe I am misunderstanding....is it gross to you?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 AM   #92
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Oh...boy.

I can give one personal example, though, where I am not sure if I;d feel comfortable with it, and I like to consider myself open-minded. I suppose I;'d get used to it, but at the time, it was a shock.

I used to work in the shoe department of one of the major dept stores, and one day, a fmily of 5 came in, whenit was crowded and busy. A holiday weekend, memorail Day or something like that. A father, a mother with what looked like a 16-18 month old, and 3 kids. two of whom were grade-school age boys. The older around 9, I'd say. After 15 mins, the baby began fussing, so right then and there, in the middle of a crowded aisle, the mother whipped her sweater up, exposed her whole breast, and jammed the baby's mouth on. Of course, the crying stopped instantly. She didn't exactly expose her whole breast, but she made no attempt to hide it in front of the older boy either. And there were times when I could see he saw it. A few mins later, the baby was done, so so held the baby up and whipped her sweater back down.

Now, I know that children are should be taught that things like breastfeeding and the sight of their mother's breasts is normal, but there should be a cutoff age, esp for boys. I's ceetainly feel a little enarrassed haivng my teenage or post-8 yr old son see me nurse, covered up or no. What do you guys think?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Look, if anyone has a problem with breasts, then we can all go back to the good old days, where no one saw anything

Come on.

That's kind of sad.
Who would really be offended of breasts anyways?
Certainly not a guy, I hope. It he is, then he should get removed from whatever sporting event he's at, because he is officially undeserving of being there

if it's a woman
well... You've got breasts too. Unless you are really flat chested. But then that's jealousy, and that's sort of... pathetic.

I hope this is just one of those silly things meant to ruffel a few feathers.

Breasts are good things, not bad.

And like others have said, if you are uncomfortable, avert your eyes.

jeez
Old 08-11-2005, 02:18 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And while I respect the not wanting younger kids to see anything.......

we're all human. ANd kids are going to have to learn sometimes.
People sholud not be offended by breastfeeding.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 AM   #95
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Oh...boy.

I can give one personal example, though, where I am not sure if I;d feel comfortable with it, and I like to consider myself open-minded. I suppose I;'d get used to it, but at the time, it was a shock.

I used to work in the shoe department of one of the major dept stores, and one day, a fmily of 5 came in, whenit was crowded and busy. A holiday weekend, memorail Day or something like that. A father, a mother with what looked like a 16-18 month old, and 3 kids. two of whom were grade-school age boys. The older around 9, I'd say. After 15 mins, the baby began fussing, so right then and there, in the middle of a crowded aisle, the mother whipped her sweater up, exposed her whole breast, and jammed the baby's mouth on. Of course, the crying stopped instantly. She didn't exactly expose her whole breast, but she made no attempt to hide it in front of the older boy either. And there were times when I could see he saw it. A few mins later, the baby was done, so so held the baby up and whipped her sweater back down.

Now, I know that children are should be taught that things like breastfeeding and the sight of their mother's breasts is normal, but there should be a cutoff age, esp for boys. I's ceetainly feel a little enarrassed haivng my teenage or post-8 yr old son see me nurse, covered up or no. What do you guys think?
What's so wrong with it?

It's one thing to tell boys that breast feeding is natural and wonderful. If a mother is mature enough and unashamed enough to breastfeed in front of her older boys, I doubt it's going to be a bad influence on them. It would probably be a damn good influence, in fact. It would acquaint them with the idea that not every single thing associated with the female body is intrinsically sexual, and that there's a purpose for breasts (and feminity in general) other than pleasing men.

The feeling that there's something wrong with an older boy see his mother breastfeed his younger sibling (and thereby see her breast) is one of the areas where nursing and sex are (inappropriately) mixed in the mind of the onlooker. Nursing a baby is not about sex.

I seriously doubt that a well-adjusted bo is going to be seriously warped byy seeing his mother's breast when she is breast feeding. Probably less likely to warp him than living in a house where mom would just absolutely die if her nine year old son saw her breast when the top of her swimming suit accidentally fell down, for example.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:59 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:20 PM
Yeah, seriously, if people think kids are going to be traumatized or something by seeing a woman breastfeed, then I'd just lock the kid in their room the rest of their life, because if that is going to bother them, then god only knows what their reaction will be when they see things even more potentially bothersome than that.

A good part of the world's population has breasts. Pretty much every person in the world will see a breast at some point and time in their lives. Everyone knows full well what they are. Why people continue to be bothered by them, I will never understand. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a female and really don't understand the big uproar over a part of my body whose developement process I had absolutely no say in, but I just do not get why a breast gets some people so riled up. It's a body part, people.

to the posts from others who are supportive of public breastfeeding, by the way.

Angela
Old 08-11-2005, 05:14 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree. I think women are put under enough pressure to breatfeed and sometimes made to feel guilty when they choose not too. Then the next minute people become annoyed when women breastfeed in public, like it is some disgusting thing and it is in some way wrong.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fah

Personally, I would never leave an infant in the care of someone I did not trust completely. A lot of babysitters do not have enough experience with infants and it only takes a second for something tragic to happen.
This totally depends on the parents. I used to sit for a family with 4 kids (well, started with only one...) and the mother would always take the babies w/ her wherever they went until the babies were about 6-8 months old. I know she breastfed all of her babies and they would usually hire me to go to Bible studies w/ their group of close friends. This lady was also kind of emotional at times and I'm sure struggled with postpartum depression so it was really good for her to get out and be with her friends once every other week and still be able to care for and feed her infant.

I also babysat at the next house down and started watching Evan when he was 3 weeks.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:43 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001

It would acquaint them with the idea that not every single thing associated with the female body is intrinsically sexual, and that there's a purpose for breasts (and feminity in general) other than pleasing men.
That is an excellent point. I've never been a mother, but I certainly would want boys brought up that way. Maybe if they were they wouldn't be so fixated on breasts and equate them with some sort of ultimate definer of womanhood. As someone who is flat chested I'm all for that

There's nothing wrong w/ men being attracted to them, don't get me wrong. But there's a big difference between that and a neanderthal mentality.

I have to put up w/ drunks and all sorts of other rudeness at sporting events, a nursing mother would be a welcome relief.

Funny no one ever questions men going to sporting events and leaving their babies at home
Old 08-11-2005, 05:47 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Funny no one ever questions men going to sporting events and leaving their babies at home
Yeah, especially since men can also breastfeed (not joking). I've read several stories about some men convincing themselves they could....and they did.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #101
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 PM
I babysat for two young children last year, the younger of whom was just born last August. Her mother was breastfeeding, and because her feeding schedules kept getting disrupted, she developed mastitis--a painful infection of the breast that can cause fevers, fatigue, and nausea, depleting a new mother of her energy and health that she needs to breastfeed at all!

To keep the breast healthy while breastfeeding, it's important to feed regularly and completely. This woman was told that by her doctor and by a lactation consultant. Not to mention that my own mother breastfed all four of us, and, yes, occasionally did it on a bus, in a doctor's waiting room, whatever. If we're to encourage breastfeeding of young children, breastfeeding women ought not be made to feel uncomfortable or unwanted.

And, as MrsSpringsteen noted...a breastfeeding woman is somehow more offensive than a drunken, verging-on-violent sports fan?

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:15 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.townonline.com/blogs/bostonMommy/

There's a picture of a Patriots cheerleader on this blog, I know none of you guys will be interested in that but just to let you know

I've been listening to some Boston talk radio stations and checking in on web sites regarding this whole breastfeeding in sports stadiums deal. (See previous posting.)
Aside from the folks who simply can’t handle the sight of breastfeeding moms (yet, miraculously are unfazed by skimpily dressed women in the form of cheerleaders or half-naked, drunk male fans with body paint), there seem to be two main objections to women breastfeeding at a ballgame:
1. It’s too dangerous to bring a baby to a game.
2. A game is no place for a baby.
Let’s take item number one: I’ve been looking online and can’t find a statistic (though I’m still on the hunt for one), but I’d venture to say that there’s a much higher likelihood that a baby will sustain an injury by being toted around in a motor vehicle, by getting a bath in the family bathtub or by choking on a toy or food than if she were brought to a baseball game.
(If anyone can find a statistic about the likelihood of an average fan getting struck by a batted ball, please e-mail it to me and I’ll be happy to post it as well as its source, as long as it’s deemed legit.)
Now for number two: Whether or not a parent takes a baby to a ballgame depends on many things including whether a babysitter can be found. (I must admit that I took my twin babies to a Sox game before they were 1.) But putting issues about babysitters aside for the moment, there's a basic question: Why shouldn’t a young family, which includes the baby, attend a ballgame, particularly when teams like my beloved Boston Red Sox heavily promote themselves as a family-friendly organization in “Friendly Fenway?” They aggressively market their mascot, Wally the Green Monster, to kids. The Red Sox wives published an ABC picture book about Fenway Park last year. The Red Sox have an entire program – Red Sox Kid Nation (to which one of my kids belongs) – aimed at luring kids into Sox fandom at an early age. Why else are there family days, kids clubs and kid-oriented mascots if not to lure families to the stadium?
Isn’t baseball supposed to be America’s favorite pastime? And what could be more American than mixing baseball and, how does that saying go, “motherhood and apple pie?”

As I wrote a few months ago when ABC’s Barbara Walters went bananas after being offended by a woman nursing her baby on an airplane in the august journalist’s presence: Get over yourselves. Please. Breastfeeding ain’t about sex my friends. As someone who did it for a grand total of 26 months over the years for my children, nursing in public was never about showing off. It was about quieting the kid. Feeding the kid.
Going to the bathroom to feed the baby, as a Gillette official told a nursing mom to do when she was in the stadium: Have you been in any of these bathrooms? Have you smelled them? Why in the world would you want to have your baby eat inside of them? The gut-painted guy gets to gobble down 10 Fenway franks and six beers in public but the baby has to be hidden away in the bathroom?

Which is more stomach turning: Neanderthals leering and shouting inappropriate things to the scantily clad cheerleaders, or a mom quietly providing mother’s milk to her baby?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Interesting this discussion is about what is happening in the so-called "developed world". Men and women in Africa, Asia etc are looking after their children, breastfeeding, using their breasts for the intended purpose, exposing them with no shame, and just generally getting on with it.

Obviously they don't boys anything of substance in the good old USA. Just to leer at cheerleaders and then go invade foreign countries.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Obviously they don't boys anything of substance in the good old USA. Just to leer at cheerleaders and then go invade foreign countries.
Most of the boys I know from my time in the army would prefer the cheerleader thing....

But nothing beats a kick ass invasion
Old 08-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
http://www.townonline.com/blogs/bostonMommy/B]
I checked out that link. The writer makes a good point about having to look at "fat, shirtless, drunken fools" in stadiums. Most of them have "breasts" but no-one complains when they get them out! That is far more offensive to he eye than a mother breastfeeding her baby.