Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yes, I'm sure you are the authority on responsible parenting, knowing SO much about breastfeeding and all.....right......

I appreciate the biology lesson, maybe we can go over the antibodies present in the breast milk sometime as well? Since you probably know that most of a childs immunity is conferred through breast milk.

randhail said:

and so the moral of the story is to be a responsible parent and not go to the game.

So breastfeeding mothers shouldn't go out in public if it's going to clash with their breastfeeding schedule?

randhail said:

and so the moral of the story is to be a responsible parent and not go to the game.

SO responsible parents only leave the house for an hour at a time?

Is there any place other than the home that you would feel comfortable about a woman nursing?

randhail said:

Oh dear. How sad.

I note you didn't answer m,y question, so I shall ask again now. I don't like quoting myself, but I feel the need to do so here:

The sensible arguments against are..................what, precisely??? So far there hasn't been one! We've heard the following reasons: (1) because morons could see women feeding their babies and get lecherous (in which case, they've got deep psychological problems) and (2) it isn't a welcome sight.

Am I alone in thinking that these attitudes are not sensible, practical or logical?

Well? Please impart your words of wisdom, preferably something a tad more substantial than the 'I don't like it' spiel.

*waiting*
*still waiting*
*quiet in here, isn't it?

Last edited:
961c2a04fd0d3e21f4db.jpeg

Oh the horror!!!!

randhail said:

^ Not at a sporting event, where it has no place occurring.

Why does it have no place in a crowd at a sporting event?

I'd argue drunkenness and slobbery don't have a place there, but go look at what sometimes feels like the majority of the crowd ...

sallycinnamon78 said:

The sensible arguments against are..................what, precisely??? So far there hasn't been one!

Perhaps it is simply considered a personal matter that some people would prefer not to witness.

There are many personal activities that we do in non-public places.

I find it interesting that breasts are a big part of the cheerleaders at NFL games yet if one popped out of the uniform or a girl flashes her tits on a big screen all the men would be very happy to see it. I don't understand why it is an issue if a mother is feeding a child. :huh: If it is an issue Hooters should not be a sponsor at these events.

nbcrusader said:

Perhaps it is simply considered a personal matter that some people would prefer not to witness.

There are many personal activities that we do in non-public places.

Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look. Good grief.

That much is apparent to anyone with a couple of brain cells. I was not stating otherwise, in any of my posts in this thread. Obviously, my opinion is my opinion just as everyone else's is their own. That's a given. :shrug:

I shall try again. LOOK:

If a woman wants to breast feed her kid in the stands, then she should be prepared for males to say "nice rack" and all the other good stuff that goes on at NFL games.

That comment is not merely a personal opinion about preferring not to see women breastfeeding in public. It's about what a mother should expect to happen if she does so. This is what I am challenging. Simple really.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Duh. I think we were trying for some higher level of analysis here.

There are plenty of activities that one could do where the response of "if you don't like it, don't look" would not be satisfying or acceptable.

Speaking of Sports and Breasts.....

I remember being 16 years old and visiting the Olympic Stadium in Munich....

Women sunbathing topless all around the park in the stadium.....come to think of it....I had a nice huge mug of beer in my hand.....

:dance:

Listen we have an expert on parenting in here and I really don't think we're giving him the proper attention.

Mother's who breast feed don't leave the house. For the only breasts allowed in NFL are hairy man boobs or those almost busting out of a cheerleader's uniform, and the only feeding should at least clog an artery.

I think I've got it so far.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Listen we have an expert on parenting in here and I really don't think we're giving him the proper attention.

Mother's who breast feed don't leave the house. For the only breasts allowed in NFL are hairy man boobs or those almost busting out of a cheerleader's uniform, and the only feeding should at least clog an artery.

I think I've got it so far.

Thanks for playing. I said, plain and simple, breast feeding does not belong in the stands of sporting events. All I'm saying is that is being inconsiderate of those around you to bring an infant to a sporting event. I don't want to see you breast feeding your kid next to me. You'll say don't watch, but it would be hard not to if your were in my sightline of the field. Have some courtesy for the people that don't want whining kids next to them. I'm sure the infant will have a great recallection of the game you brought him to when he was 3 months old.

What happened do our discussion of breast milk? I was rather enjoying it. Did I lose you when I mentioned antibodies or conferring immunity? We'll start off simple and work our way up.

randhail said:

Thanks for playing. I said, plain and simple, breast feeding does not belong in the stands of sporting events. All I'm saying is that is being inconsiderate of those around you to bring an infant to a sporting event. I don't want to see you breast feeding your kid next to me. You'll say don't watch, but it would be hard not to if your were in my sightline of the field. Have some courtesy for the people that don't want whining kids next to them. I'm sure the infant will have a great recallection of the game you brought him to when he was 3 months old.

But your argument is weak. You have not given one reason as to why a sporting event over anything else except you don't want to see it. I've given you several things I don't want to see, but am I going to ban them? No.

Now having a screaming kid and breastfeeding are 2 entire things. If the kid makes a problem then you excuse yourself from the seat, but something as natural as feeding doesn't disrupt anyone. And your recollection argument is absolutely absurd...with that logic you would never do anything with your 3 month old.

randhail said:
What happened do our discussion of breast milk? I was rather enjoying it. Did I lose you when I mentioned antibodies or conferring immunity? We'll start off simple and work our way up.

Off topic and very disputable amongst experts...

So if I'm ever at a sporting event that you're at and you paid to watch the game and I feel the urge to masturbate, I'll whip out my penis and start yanking away. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

Or instead, maybe I'll take a crap right in my seat once I get the feeling in my intestines. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

What's that you say? There's a place that confers privacy for the commitment of any and all bodily functions without the chance of bothering other patrons called a washroom? And it only takes an extra 2 minutes of my time to get there? Wow! What a novel concept. Going to a washroom for privacy when you need to commit a bodily function. Wonder why nobody's thought of that before?

DaveC said:

So if I'm ever at a sporting event that you're at and you paid to watch the game and I feel the urge to masturbate, I'll whip out my penis and start yanking away. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

Or instead, maybe I'll take a crap right in my seat once I get the feeling in my intestines. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

What's that you say? There's a place that confers privacy for the commitment of any and all bodily functions without the chance of bothering other patrons called a washroom? And it only takes an extra 2 minutes of my time to get there? Wow! What a novel concept. Going to a washroom for privacy when you need to commit a bodily function. Wonder why nobody's thought of that before?

:rolleyes:

You eat in a washroom? Might want to rethink that.

DaveC said:

Bloody hell.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:rolleyes:

You eat in a washroom? Might want to rethink that.

Oh, don't give me that infernal screed.

You know damn well that there's a difference between a baby wrapping his/her lips around a mother's nipple and sucking away (closing off the germs from the washroom), and eating off an open, exposed plate in a washroom in the way an adult would.

I have done some microbiology work (swabs mainly) in public restrooms.

DaveC, if you want your child to eat there, then good for you.

I will tell you that having seen the composition of bacteria and the viral loads present, I would elect not to breastfeed any child of mine at the vast majority of public restroom facilities.

ETA: It's also less comfortable to do it standing up and I'm not sure how many of us would want to feed a child while sitting down on a filthy toilet.

DaveC said:

You know damn well that there's a difference between a baby wrapping his/her lips around a mother's nipple and sucking away (closing off the germs from the washroom), and eating off an open, exposed plate in a washroom in the way an adult would.

"closing off the germs"

I guess that means it's ok for the baby to suck away in the stands then, because let's face it, if you pissed or took a shit in your seat, you wouldn't be closing those off, right?

I was once at a sporting event and saw a mother breastfeeding what must have been a 2-3 year old.

I have to say, that did make me a little uncomfortable; and no, I did not continue to look.

sort of begs the question, WHY does it make you feel uncomfortable?

What kind of insecurity would leave an individual offended by a bare breast feeding a child?

If it's not insecurity, then what is it?
What exactly is the offensive part?

The comparisons to public masturbation are completely ridiculous.
You know if you went to the mens room to rub one out and a cop saw you, you could get arrested, ask George Michael. If a woman went to the restroom to feed her child, I don't think it's exactly the same "ballpark" so to speak, should I have even needed to say that? Even taking a dump or a piss in the stands, to make that comparison only illustrates a completely absurd argument.

So aside from the trite "I just dont want to see it", what is a legitamate argument. If you say it's offensive, why?

U2DMfan said:
sort of begs the question, WHY does it make you feel uncomfortable?

What kind of insecurity would leave an individual offended by a bare breast feeding a child?

Well, where do you draw the line? Is breastfeeding a 10 year old in public okay?

Is there a misconception about nursing infants and 10 year old children, that I don't know about?

It would be the same as saying seeing a naked 30 month old baby's butt is not the same as seeing my hairy 30 year old man ass in a public place. Do we need to discuss the "slippery slope" of the age of acceptable ass viewing?

Do we really need to make this distinction or is it painfully obvious?

If we are applying societal standards to the argument AGAINST public breast feeding, then why do you toss them out the window and pose a question with no societal standards. Nobody is making that claim. We are adults here, I presume, most of us do want a standard of decency. There is no slippery slope here, it's mothers feeding freaking babies.

Do we need to argue the semantics of where the "age cutoff" is or can we argue that feeding little baby infants is ok and you tell me why it's not. Because that's what I am getting at.

DaveC said:

Oh, don't give me that infernal screed.

I also know there's a difference between masturbating, getting rid of waste and PROVIDING NOURISHMENT FOR YOUR CHILD.

Golightly Grrl said:
Nothing wrong with breast feeding. But I'm still wondering why people would bring a very young baby or child to a rowdy, crazy, noisy sporting event? Don't people hire babysitters anymore or am I just old school?

Cost and availabilty are huge factors when it comes to hiring a sitter. I pay my sitter(s) $5 to $8 an hour when I can find one. If we are going out for an extended period of time it is sometimes cheaper to bring the kid(s) along.

Personally, I would never leave an infant in the care of someone I did not trust completely. A lot of babysitters do not have enough experience with infants and it only takes a second for something tragic to happen.

Firends of mine sit in the club level at the PATS games. I have sat up there twice with them. It is certainly not rowdy. It is luxurious there are couch chairs, and food as far as the eyes can see.

I think it amusing that the perception is that A) games are too rowdy for a child and B) that so many people are worked up by breastfeeding.....

People posting in here eat in the latrine? Wow....I am amazed that some of you think eating in a bathroom is the right thing to do. I am more amazed that breastfeeding is the equivalent of shitting for some of you.

Back
Top Bottom