Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't? - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #256
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
In yesterday's Herald, we reported how a Patriots fan claims she was told she couldn't nurse her child in the stands at Gillette Stadium. We asked you whether moms should be allowed to breast-feed in the stands at major sporting arenas.

Here are the results from the Herald's online poll:

Yes: 34.3 percent

No: 65.7 percent

Looks like I'm not alone here.

do you think that Patriots fans are a good sampling of what overall public opinion would be?

Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I've never suggested "unsanitary conditions" or "stay at home". In fact, I've never said that public breast feeding was bad.

But, don't let that get in the way of proving a point. Lot of talking and little listening.
I meant 'you' in general, not attributed to anyone in specific. Maybe if you actually gave your opinion once in a while NBC, much of this could be avoided. I frankly don't see the point in making ambiguous arguments. Tell us where you stand.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 PM
My argument isn't ambiguous and has been stated.

To me, the key word was discretion.

It is a little word that gets overlooked in all the shouting.

Sorry if I didn't make it LOUD AND CLEAR for you.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

do you think that Patriots fans are a good sampling of what overall public opinion would be?
Not that I agree with randhail on this, because I don't, but what makes you think this sampling was only done by Patriots fans? Am I missing something?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Not that I agree with randhail on this, because I don't, but what makes you think this sampling was only done by Patriots fans? Am I missing something?

i thought that's what he had posted -- that they took a poll of Pats fans?

did i misread?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:16 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

It was conducted by the Boston Herald and anyone could have voted on their belief. Regardless, the instance in question took place at Pats training camp, so I would think that the Kraft family would want fan input and then decide what to do.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #262
Blue Crack Addict

I think it was just a poll in the Herald that was open to everyone.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
My argument isn't ambiguous and has been stated.

To me, the key word was discretion.

It is a little word that gets overlooked in all the shouting.

Sorry if I didn't make it LOUD AND CLEAR for you.
Excellent, apology accepted.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #264
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Regardless, the instance in question took place at Pats training camp, so I would think that the Kraft family would want fan input and then decide what to do.
I don't think they need to decide anything. They have already firmly stated it wasn't a problem and that the security officer in question shouldn't have done what he did.

Quite honestly, I can't believe this thread is still going. I don't understand why it makes people uncomfortable at all.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

well if the Kraft family decides that breastfeeding in seats won't be allowed, then they are hypocrites unless and until they have the cheerleaders start wearing button up shirts to the neck and sweatshirts
Old 08-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie

They already do for the cold weather games. When it's warm out, they could get hot while performing and could overheat and dehydrate, thus making less clothing a better option.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
They already do for the cold weather games. When it's warm out, they could get hot while performing and could overheat and dehydrate, thus making less clothing a better option.
Yes, I'm aware that they do in cold weather

So the cheerleaders shouldn't suffer but the mothers and babies should?

I found this article in a news search, so this is not an issue just in the US

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/leg...icle304899.ece

Mother in plea for breastfeeding law
By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
Published: 10 August 2005

A woman who was stopped from breastfeeding her baby while touring Hampton Court Palace has called for the law to be changed to prevent harassment of new mothers.

Margaret Mikkelsen, 30, said England should follow the example of Scotland which introduced a law last November making it a criminal offence to deliberately obstruct breast or bottle feeding in a public place where children are allowed.

She was on a tour of the palace in south-west London with her family and relatives, who were visiting from the US, when her six-month-old daughter, Stella Faulkner, became hungry.

She sat down and was feeding the child discreetly when a female warder came over and directed her to the mother-and-baby room. "She suggested quite strongly that I should move. I didn't want to leave the tour and my family so I had sat down where I was so I could catch up with them quickly."

Ms Mikkelsen complained to Historic Royal Palaces, which runs Hampton Court, pointing out that no other visitors had objected.

Historic Royal Palacesreplied: "All visitors should have their chests covered when inside and although the policy is more usually applied to men on hot summer days, it is a general rule.

"We have many visitors of all ages and nationalities who find women breast-feeding either offensive or an unwelcome distraction.

"The mother-and-baby room is the only area of the palace where we can guarantee privacy for the mother and child and where they will not disturb any visitors."

But yesterday, however, a spokeswoman said staff had misinterpreted a policy that nursing mothers should be shown where they could breastfeed in privacy as a ban on doing it in public. "It appears this warder was a little over zealous. The incident has highlighted a practice that has grown up but it is not our policy."

Mary Newburn, of the National Childbirth Trust, said a recent poll showed 84 per cent of the public had no objection to women breastfeeding in public.

The Scots law preventing harassment of mothers who breastfeed in public was introduced as a public health measure to promote breastfeeding. Ms Mikkelsen said a similar law was needed in England.

A woman who was stopped from breastfeeding her baby while touring Hampton Court Palace has called for the law to be changed to prevent harassment of new mothers.

Margaret Mikkelsen, 30, said England should follow the example of Scotland which introduced a law last November making it a criminal offence to deliberately obstruct breast or bottle feeding in a public place where children are allowed.

She was on a tour of the palace in south-west London with her family and relatives, who were visiting from the US, when her six-month-old daughter, Stella Faulkner, became hungry.

She sat down and was feeding the child discreetly when a female warder came over and directed her to the mother-and-baby room. "She suggested quite strongly that I should move. I didn't want to leave the tour and my family so I had sat down where I was so I could catch up with them quickly."

Ms Mikkelsen complained to Historic Royal Palaces, which runs Hampton Court, pointing out that no other visitors had objected.

Historic Royal Palaces replied: "All visitors should have their chests covered when inside and although the policy is more usually applied to men on hot summer days, it is a general rule.

"We have many visitors of all ages and nationalities who find women breast-feeding either offensive or an unwelcome distraction.

"The mother-and-baby room is the only area of the palace where we can guarantee privacy for the mother and child and where they will not disturb any visitors."

But yesterday, however, a spokeswoman said staff had misinterpreted a policy that nursing mothers should be shown where they could breastfeed in privacy as a ban on doing it in public. "It appears this warder was a little over zealous. The incident has highlighted a practice that has grown up but it is not our policy."

Mary Newburn, of the National Childbirth Trust, said a recent poll showed 84 per cent of the public had no objection to women breastfeeding in public.

The Scots law preventing harassment of mothers who breastfeed in public was introduced as a public health measure to promote breastfeeding. Ms Mikkelsen said a similar law was needed in England.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that's the real reason.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
mmhmm, sure....

I did competitive gymnastics for 4 years and NEVER showed as much skin as they do. Even in the baking hot gym in the summers (which never had AC and was even hotter with 50 other sweaty bodied inside) I never "overheated" or dehydrated. That's what water is for.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie

ok maybe to prevent overheating is not the only reason...less clothing allows for sunlight to be taken in through the skin and aides in the production of vitamin D, allowing for calcium usage in the body and preventing osteoporosis. Given the athletic moves that the cheerleaders do, they need to have strong bones, which less clothing facilitates.