Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't? - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #241
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I think this may go to a broader issue in our society.

Rather than coexisting and/or defering to each other, we tend towards a behavior that, towards the extreme, might say "it's my right, to F-you".

Perhaps I just have a different mind set, but I am conscious of minimizing my externalities (the economics term for reducing the impact on others).
I've only read to page 13 and need to comment on this: Breastfeeding is not a "fuck you" activity. It is a necessary event that every mother around the world has to undertake to necessitate the survival of her child.

I can only say that nbc, hope you don't ever travel outside the US. You'll find practices in the rest of the world that will give you a heart attack. Or maybe broaden your mind.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #242
Refugee

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Oh..and Dredsox, you crack me up. Where did you get that avatar? LOL!! And dangit, too bad you're not available. May God grant me a husband like you...you're turning ME on, buddy!('Oreos"....*blush*)

Funnily enough, my local paper in Albany, NY just had a big article on this whole controversy last week..a group of mothers went to a Hooters for a "nurse-in". The staff were bemused at first but then supportive, pulling up chairs for the them, etc. One of them had a shirt that said, "Would You Like To See The Kid's Menu?"

That's it in a nutshell , folks.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:03 AM   #243
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
May God grant me a husband like you...you're turning ME on, buddy!('Oreos"....*blush*)

You may want to talk to my wife about that....She can fill in all the other details.......

Be carefull what you wish for!

Old 08-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #244
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

I've only read to page 13 and need to comment on this: Breastfeeding is not a "fuck you" activity. It is a necessary event that every mother around the world has to undertake to necessitate the survival of her child.

I can only say that nbc, hope you don't ever travel outside the US. You'll find practices in the rest of the world that will give you a heart attack. Or maybe broaden your mind.
I cant recall the quote from nbc you quoted in this, as I stopped reading this thread after the reply I quoted just a couple of replies back. But a big "Fuck you" is precisely the response attempting to abolish breastfeeding is going to bring. It is entirely preposterous for somebody to believe that they have a position in the feeding of a baby by his/her mother. Overall, breastfeeding mothers are not noticeable, and therefore void completely this argument put forward of decency. There is no decency issue here. Breastfeeding mothers do not have exposed entire breasts on show. And another Fuck You to those who think there is this showgirl feeling of exposure by a woman who is merely feeding her baby. Coming from the other side, is this idea it seems, that the act of breastfeeding puts mother on show and the bystanders in voyeur mode. I do wish people would use common bloody sense and realise this only ever occurs from a woman who wishes to be on show and from a bystander who wishes to engage in voyeurism.

There is precisely, as well, a complete lack of coexistance and/or derfering to each other when one wishes to involve themselves so fully in a decision such as this. Rather than take some moral highground here, nbc, I do wish you would accept that what you do is so very minimally different. The upshot of what you propose, differs from what I for example propose, is a hungry baby. And you know, as they say, tough titties. You can take a hike Go and be a father to your children. Be the decision maker for your own wife. Dont intrude in my life. You and those who are this opinion are not welcome.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 AM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My avatar makes me want oreos....

I'm sorry that so many people are frustrated by this thread, honestly I didn't think anyone would be so offended by a woman wanting to breastfeed at a stadium or anywhere else in public.

I respect people's opinions and sensibilities, but I can't understand for the life of me why it is a problem as long as it is done in a discreet and dignified manner. I do have to wonder if men could breastfeed if being discreet would even be a requirement-after all, mens' "breasts" aren't sexualized by women, are they?" Well, let's not get into that

Maybe we should just let this thread die, I don't want it closed
Old 08-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In yesterday's Herald, we reported how a Patriots fan claims she was told she couldn't nurse her child in the stands at Gillette Stadium. We asked you whether moms should be allowed to breast-feed in the stands at major sporting arenas.

Here are the results from the Herald's online poll:

Yes: 34.3 percent

No: 65.7 percent

Looks like I'm not alone here.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #247
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Looks like I'm not alone here.
And damn it all....the majority is always correct.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:34 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 01:41 AM
dear god. the more I read this thread, the more I am very glad I don't live across the pond.

fancy getting offended by something as natural and necessary as breast feeding. Blimey
Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

And damn it all....the majority is always correct.
MOB RULE!!!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Like others, I am weary from reading the responses.

Civility is all but lost here.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Like others, I am weary from reading the responses.

Civility is all but lost here.
Well, if you want to force breastfeeding women to do their thing under either unsanitary conditions or stay at home, you can expect people to get riled up.

Basically, I'm not too fond of heated arguments myself, but I prefer honest swearing people over wolves in sheeps clothing who say "Thank you, much obliged I'm sure" every time they screw you over.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:55 AM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
BTW, here in the UK, 80% of people questioned in a relatively recent poll believe that discreet public breastfeeding is perfectly acceptable

source: http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/bfsurvey/
Old 08-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Sure, it's not everyone's ordinary experience to see a baby being breastfed, but I don't see the harm in it. It's not some drunk throwing things. Maybe it's too shocking for some people who are not used to it. I'm a woman and go goo-goo gah-gah every time I see a baby, so naturally I'm not one of these people.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Well, if you want to force breastfeeding women to do their thing under either unsanitary conditions or stay at home, you can expect people to get riled up.

Basically, I'm not too fond of heated arguments myself, but I prefer honest swearing people over wolves in sheeps clothing who say "Thank you, much obliged I'm sure" every time they screw you over.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 AM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

I've never suggested "unsanitary conditions" or "stay at home". In fact, I've never said that public breast feeding was bad.

But, don't let that get in the way of proving a point. Lot of talking and little listening.