Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #181
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader Duh. I think we were trying for some higher level of analysis here.
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but that just sounds pretentious.

I was responding to your comment that some people would prefer not to see breastfeeding in public. Your comment wasn't exactly the height of intellectual analysis and I certainly never professed mine to be.

Quote:
There are plenty of activities that one could do where the response of "if you don't like it, don't look" would not be satisfying or acceptable. [/B]
Absolutely. This is not one of them... in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

So if I'm ever at a sporting event that you're at and you paid to watch the game and I feel the urge to masturbate, I'll whip out my penis and start yanking away. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

Or instead, maybe I'll take a crap right in my seat once I get the feeling in my intestines. It's perfectly natural, and a bodily function. Don't want to witness it? That's fine! Don't look.

What's that you say? There's a place that confers privacy for the commitment of any and all bodily functions without the chance of bothering other patrons called a washroom? And it only takes an extra 2 minutes of my time to get there? Wow! What a novel concept. Going to a washroom for privacy when you need to commit a bodily function. Wonder why nobody's thought of that before?
Dave, mate, get real.

The comparison is ridiculous and completely irrelevant. There is a difference between FEEDING A CHILD and public defecation. Can you not see that much?!

Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Dave, mate, get real.

The comparison is ridiculous and completely irrelevant. There is a difference between FEEDING A CHILD and public defecation. Can you not see that much?!
Okay, scrap defication for sanitary purposes.

We still have a random list of things that are getting approval and things that are rejected (labeled "icky").

I guess it is easier that way.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Yes, feeding babies must be compared to spitting, farting, cutting toenails, defecating and masturbating.

And once again, some people want to control not only whether or not a woman has a baby, but where and how she feeds it.

Just unfuckingbelievable.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
#3 If you should have to breast feed your child in public, you should seek out the nearest shit house, so that the MEN in the public place, do not go into a masturbatory state and have to run to the other shithouse to relieve themselves.

edit: can't say that in fym.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Yes, feeding babies must be compared to spitting, farting, cutting toenails, defecating and masturbating.

And once again, some people want to control not only whether or not a woman has a baby, but where and how she feeds it.

Just unfuckingbelievable.
What is "unfuckingbelievable" is the level of hyperbole and polarity used to "discuss" the issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #186
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Okay, scrap defication for sanitary purposes.

We still have a random list of things that are getting approval and things that are rejected (labeled "icky").

I guess it is easier that way.
Okay... let's take an example...

Masturbation = acting upon a controllable sexual urge. Nothing 'icky' about it to me, as I'm not that repressed or plain silly. I believe it is fair to say that most of us would agree that this behaviour is inappropriate in public?

Breastfeeding = feeding a baby. Necessary.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I think most men want to keep breasts as a sexual body part, and keep it to themselves. Seeing a woman breastfeed destroys this vision.
I'm with you on that one, BVS.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Okay... let's take an example...

Masturbation = acting upon a controllable sexual urge. Nothing 'icky' about it to me, as I'm not that repressed or plain silly. I believe it is fair to say that most of us would agree that this behaviour is inappropriate in public?

Breastfeeding = feeding a baby. Necessary.
Okay, we can divide activities on the level of necessity. Of course, we will get different takes on what is really necessary. (and I'm sure some smart alec guy will say the former is "necessary" as well).

Perhaps some personal grooming activities could cross the line?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #188
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:

Okay, we can divide activities on the level of necessity. Of course, we will get different takes on what is really necessary. (and I'm sure some smart alec guy will say the former is "necessary" as well).
Hmm....how about....breastfeeding is necessary because someone else's life depends on it? You can't even come CLOSE to that for masturbation!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #189
New Yorker

Quote:
All I'm saying is that is being inconsiderate of those around you to bring an infant to a sporting event. I don't want to see you breast feeding your kid next to me.
Realistically, do you not believe that this is your own problem, caused by your own hang-ups, and has very little to do with mother and child? Or not?

Quote:
What's that you say?
Talk sense, and come up with a relevant argument while you're at it. THAT'S what I say.

Quote:
There's a place that confers privacy for the commitment of any and all bodily functions without the chance of bothering other patrons called a washroom? And it only takes an extra 2 minutes of my time to get there? Wow! What a novel concept. Going to a washroom for privacy when you need to commit a bodily function.
It is not merely a 'bodily function'; it is feeding an infant, providing nourishment. So, logically, your comment could be seen as innaccurate and irrelevant.

Quote:
Wonder why nobody's thought of that before?
Perhaps they have the sense to differentiate between nursing a baby and taking a crap?

Quote:
DaveC isn't comparing the two.

Given the arguments (natural, function, need) in favor of public breastfeeding, if you simply substitute "masturbation" for "breastfeeding" and the defenses (don't look) you get the same result (public masturbation is okay).

However, no one would seriously support public masturbation. Thus, the arguments proposed so far are flawed as they cannot be applied on a consistent basis.
Many thanks for this deep insight into Dave's thought process.

You're not taking semantics into account there. The 'need' isn't the same. Also, the effect of not feeding your child is very different from the effect of not masturbating!

Yes or no, food is necessary for survival?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I was thinking that too, it's nice to hear a guy say that
Yeah .

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
It sort of shocks me that younger people have "issues" with this, no offense of course, but it is surprising. I would have thought it would be just the opposite.
Well, here's a younger person who doesn't have issues with it .

It does amaze me that we've spent 13 pages debating this issue. I'm still just not exactly sure what it is about a breast that bothers people so much.

Actually, a lot of the time, when a breast is shown on TV, it's mainly the nipple area that's blurred out, so it seems that's the portion that's supposedly offensive to the general public. Well, gee, if that's the case, you know, guys have nipples, too, so I guess they'd better start covering up in public as well, eh?

If guys can walk around totally topless in public all day, then I think they could at least be able to deal with a woman breastfeeding for a brief amount of time.

Angela
Old 08-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Realistically speaking, would you agree that this is your problem, not that of mother and child? Or not?
I think this may go to a broader issue in our society.

Rather than coexisting and/or defering to each other, we tend towards a behavior that, towards the extreme, might say "it's my right, to F-you".

Perhaps I just have a different mind set, but I am conscious of minimizing my externalities (the economics term for reducing the impact on others).
Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #192
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I can't believe some would even reduce it down to a body function.

One must not spit to live, unless they are choking and in that case I really don't think anyone will fault them for it.

Sexual pleasure is something that involves consent, if one wants to watch someone masterbate by all means but it still involves consent or it's deemed illegal.

Defecation we all do to survive, but it's something we all do in private for many reasons.

So really, can we drop these ridiculous comparisions?

And once again for all those that have missed it, we all comsume for our nourishment in public, why should this child be sent back to the shithouse?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 PM
One minute I'm appalled by this thread and the next I'm cracking up. I'm definitely having a love-hate relationship with this thread.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I can't believe some would even reduce it down to a body function.

One must not spit to live, unless they are choking and in that case I really don't think anyone will fault them for it.

Sexual pleasure is something that involves consent, if one wants to watch someone masterbate by all means but it still involves consent or it's deemed illegal.

Defecation we all do to survive, but it's something we all do in private for many reasons.

So really, can we drop these ridiculous comparisions?

And once again for all those that have missed it, we all comsume for our nourishment in public, why should this child be sent back to the shithouse?
Thank you .

Angela
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Perhaps I just have a different mind set, but I am conscious of minimizing my externalities (the economics term for reducing the impact on others).
Perhaps if the people who are trying to get breastfeeding out of the public eye had the same mind set, we wouldn't need this thread.

LOOK OUT BELOW!!!!