Chastity or lack thereof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paxetaurora said:
The problem I had was this: the idea that virginity is somehow "preferable" to the lack of it. I mean, I guess it is, in some ways. But I couldn't contribute to this conversation at all, and I felt rather, well...cheap, despite the fact that my days of one-night stands were pretty limited and that they're long over. I think I don't like, as someone whose virginity is very much a thing of the past, being made to feel "dirty" or "impure" or "not-special" (if that makes any sense). It's wonderful that these women have made promises to themselves, and that they're proud to have upheld them. But should that pride come at the expense of women who haven't made the same decision?

I don't know about any of this. What do you all think about the state of being a never-married non-virgin in these virgin-obsessed times?

It is unfortunate that those who have abstained overlook God's grace for those now seek abstinence. Woe to those who say, ?look what I have accomplished? instead of ?look what God has done in my life?, especially in such a difficult area as sexual purity.

May God surround you with His peace and joy today.

garibaldo said:
Seriously, I think the point of your stupid church story was to point out just how hypocritical churchgoers can be.
OH YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!! in fact i see exactly where i said "every christian, including me!! is a hypocrite." grow up already.

I guess making that token comment really doesn't make it an attack on Christians....:lol: :lol:

Get a freaking clue. Liberals have a long history of villifying religious people and it doesn't make you immune to criticism by attending church (what? once a year perhaps).

KhanadaRhodes said:

yep. the youth leader at my old church acted like she was better than everyone (well, in retrospect, everyone there did), and then one time we separated into girl and boy groups and for some reason, we went into the chick's bedroom who was hosting the meeting.

we got on the subject of virginity, and our youth leader, who's not married, never has been married, and has never even come close, admitted she's not a virgin. that was one of the nails in the coffin for that church. i don't have a problem with people having sex before marriage, but to act all high and mighty, and constantly point out how other people can "do better" in their life by tattooing WWJD on their forehead and then admit that, is just fucking hypocritical.

that is all.

Khanada, would you prefer that she had lied to you?

I was just thinking....
A person who says you should do one thing, and then does the opposite is someone acting hypocritically. A person who does one thing and then says you should do the opposite is someone who's learned from their mistakes.

Anyway, aren't we all hypocritical at times? I am.

-Spiral

Spiral_Staircase said:

A person who does one thing and then says you should do the opposite is someone who's learned from their mistakes.

Depends on how it's said. If it's preachy and self-righteous, it's not going to help, just piss off. If the insight is given with understanding and compassion, and not in a way that makes the other person feel dirty and bad, then it can be helpful.

martha said:
Depends on how it's said. If it's preachy and self-righteous, it's not going to help, just piss off. If the insight is given with understanding and compassion, and not in a way that makes the other person feel dirty and bad, then it can be helpful.

There is a lot of truth to this statement. The Truth must be given, but must be given with love.

A lot also depends on how it is received. Some will immediately dismiss any moral standard as judgmental or expect the speaker of the moral standard to be perfect in all regards (or else - the hypocrisy label). Our natural tendency is to love the darkness instead of the light.

nbcrusader said:
A lot also depends on how it is received. Some will immediately dismiss any moral standard as judgmental or expect the speaker of the moral standard to be perfect in all regards (or else - the hypocrisy label). Our natural tendency is to love the darkness instead of the light.

I can relate with this topic because I have recently given my life to Christ, and due to conviction I have focused in on making some drastic changes in my lifestyle. Filtering out the mistakes of my past is necessary for me now if I am to secure what I feel is to be a brighter future, and it has NOT been easy, but I am already beginning to feel more accomplished and pleased with the direction my life has taken. Such a case may be seen by others as self-righteous etc. but as nbcrusader stated that may be based on how it is received. It is important to not be condescending while witnessing to others but I also think it is necessary to be passionate when speaking about something that you believe in, rather than holding back due to the fear of offending people. If you feel confident in your beliefs then nothing should hinder your ability to share this with others.

I found myself in a situation where a group of people were talking about smoking and how it has ill effects on a person and demonstrates poor discipline. This is another area that I am working on right now, and I found myself trying to justify it in the conversation. The fact of the matter is that I want to quit, and rather than justifying it I should have just acknowledged the fact that it is harmful for you and accepted that I am struggling with it. I think it was me trying to postpone the inevitable.

Achtung_Bebe said:

I found myself in a situation where a group of people were talking about smoking and how it has ill effects on a person and demonstrates poor discipline. This is another area that I am working on right now, and I found myself trying to justify it in the conversation. The fact of the matter is that I want to quit, and rather than justifying it I should have just acknowledged the fact that it is harmful for you and accepted that I am struggling with it. I think it was me trying to postpone the inevitable.

God quitting was the hardest thing for me.....As I sit here typing....I am craving it.

I have had three smokes in the past 5 years.

When the health teacher comes in to teach about smoking I have to leave, becasue it makes me crave it and want it all over again. I have basically given up beer as well becasue I associated beer with smoking.

Good luck in your quest to stop. I wish I could say I have kicked the desire for it...but I have not. At least I am not smoking.

Peace

Cravings and addictions are generally caused by an imbalance of dopamine in the brain. It is no wonder, thus, that Xanax, the anti-smoking prescription, is simply a renamed derivative of the antidepressant, Wellbutrin, which is part of a class of dopamine drugs. Truthfully, Xanax and Wellbutrin should take care of far more addictions than just nicotine...but we'll let pharmaceuticals waste millions of dollars making studies to just put 2+2 together.

I would suggest upping your intake of Vitamin B, Vitamin C, and Magnesium, if you wish to up your dopamine levels naturally. Supplements are your best bet, and following the directions on the bottle labels should be sufficient.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom