Charlton Heston passes on at age 84 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Well, if this thread was meant to be about Heston as 'just' the actor, it wouldn't be in FYM, would it?
Is there an FYM rule that says that we must limit analysis and judgement of him only to his wack-job NRA nut persona ?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

You know, "your generation", whatever that may be, can go rent Ben-Hur any time.........
And Soylent Green, and Earthquake, and Planet of the Apes, and The Greatest Show on Earth, and The Omega Man, and any other movie where his limited acting talent was only overshadowed by his love of his own hairy chest.

He was a bad actor, a NRA whack-job, and a stubborn old fool. I'm not happy that he's dead, but he was over-rated in every aspect of all his careers.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:35 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed his movies, and I love my gun.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I loved Planet of the Apes. His acting in some of these movies was not the best, however, he chose some politically relevant movies to participate in. I do get sad that the gun issue has overshadowed his involvement in the Civil Rights movement.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I loved Planet of the Apes. .
" Oh my God look what you've done"

Old 04-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:35 PM
His acting aside, he chose the legacy he was left with. Respect does not come anywhere near it.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I find it really disappointing that a person who was so progressive can become such a dogmatic, stubborn fool for a destructive issue and choose to deliberately do things which are harmful and divisive. The man who went to Columbine is miles apart from the one that picketed a movie theatre in '61 - were his guns really worth this legacy, one has to wonder.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I do know Mr Heston always had good things to say about Canada in sickness and in health.

<>
Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, because that's somehow relevant to the discussion.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:35 AM
There's no way to know without having known him personally, but I don't think it's outside the question that some of the same character traits that motivated Heston to publically support the Civil Rights Movement also motivated him to support the NRA. In any kind of broad-based justice or rights campaign, there are always going to be a certain number of (often very active) people who, realistically, fit the definitions of bullheaded, impulsive, and 'black-and-white thinker' as much as they do the more positive ones of determined, courageous, and principled. They may not be the best choice for top-level leadership positions in such groups, as they're often not the best judges of interpersonal/intergroup dynamics nor the full complexity of the issue at hand, but the relentless energy and focus they usually have can sometimes be what holds everything together and keeps everyone else going when things look bleak.

That's not intended as a 'justification' of anything, just one stab at explaining the discrepancy some would see between his two best-known commitments outside his acting work (which I'd agree was not particularly impressive--then again, to be fair, I'm not sure I can think of any actors who could've saved Planet of the Apes or Soylent Green from being giggle-inducing schlockfests). I doubt that he was especially anomalous in being a strong supporter of both the Civil Rights Movement and gun ownership rights.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I doubt that he was especially anomalous in being a strong supporter of both the Civil Rights Movement and gun ownership rights.
But that's not really my point. It's that his behaviour at the end of his life, in supporting gun rights, was purposely provocative, unhelpful and contributed to little more but escalation. He seemingly had no interest in dialogue and preferred to shock, in often offensive ways.

That's something entirely different than "strongly supporting" an issue. At least to me.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

But that's not really my point. It's that his behaviour at the end of his life, in supporting gun rights, was purposely provocative, unhelpful and contributed to little more but escalation. He seemingly had no interest in dialogue and preferred to shock, in often offensive ways.
Exactly, there is where lies the difference...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:

his behaviour at the end of his life, in supporting gun rights, was purposely provocative, unhelpful and contributed to little more but escalation. He seemingly had no interest in dialogue and preferred to shock, in often offensive ways.
Examples?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
I find it really disappointing that a person who was so progressive can become such a dogmatic, stubborn fool for a destructive issue and choose to deliberately do things which are harmful and divisive. The man who went to Columbine is miles apart from the one that picketed a movie theatre in '61 - were his guns really worth this legacy, one has to wonder.
Agreed, couldn´t have said it any better.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Why shouldn't civil rights and liberties be mutually exclusive?

I found one such website with a quick google, http://progunprogressive.com/