Charlton Heston passes on at age 84

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing that cracks me up is that the head of the NRA HAD FUCKING ALZHEIMERS!!!

Is that not fucked up to anyone else???

The guy wanted everyone to be able to get guns, and he probably had no idea where the hell he left his.

Utoo said:
The thing that cracks me up is that the head of the NRA HAD FUCKING ALZHEIMERS!!!

Is that not fucked up to anyone else???

The guy wanted everyone to be able to get guns, and he probably had no idea where the hell he left his.

It's fucked up to me. And don't even get me started on mental illness and gun rights.

Irvine511 said:

i'm very uninterested in Charelton Heston -- though i hope he rests in peace -- but what does it take to be a "Great American."

Something that the Left have a hard time wrapping there brains around.

Here are a few ideas that come to mind:

1-Setting aside your personal interests for others.
2-Uncompromising conviction for your values
3-Integrity
4-Character
5-Honor.

I could go on-those should suffice for now.

<>

diamond said:

2-Uncompromising conviction for your values
3-Integrity
4-Character
5-Honor.

I could go on-those should suffice for now.

<>

Can you give examples of Chuck doing these things?

diamond said:

:rolleyes:

diamond said:

Wow, this is hilarious given the fact that conservative policy is all about self-interest. I'm not convinced you really know what your party's core platform is...

I stopped at number, I'm sure the rest of your list is just as ridiculous.

martha said:

Can you give examples of Chuck doing these things?

Marched for Civil Rights for MLK in 60s and hasn't wavered since.

That should be more than enough in and of itself.

That said what's troubling here are kids in their ignorance are saying the 10 Commandments made in the 1960s (I think) was cheesy, when in it's time it was"state of the art" for films of that day.

<>

diamond said:

That said what's troubling here are kids in their ignorance are saying the 10 Commandments made in the 1960s (I think) was cheesy, when in it's time it was"state of the art" for films of that day.

It's not ignorance. That's a crappy movie, in many ways due to Chuck's terrible acting.

That's my main beef with him: He got away with absolutely terrible acting for his entire career. His NRA bullshit was just the period on his career.

martha said:

It's not ignorance. That's a crappy movie, in many ways due to Chuck's terrible acting.

That's my main beef with him: He got away with absolutely terrible acting for his entire career. His NRA bullshit was just the period on his career.

Martha-

I beg to differ my love. It was made in 1956 a state of the art film for the time and was nominated for an Academy Award and lost to "Around The World In 80 Days".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ten_Commandments_(1956_film)

It couldn't have been that crappy of a movie in it's time to recieve all this attention:

Academy Award win and nominations
The parting of the Red Sea won the film its Oscar for Special Effects. DeMille was reluctant to discuss technical details of how the film was made, especially the optical tricks used in the parting. It was eventually revealed that footage of the Red Sea was spliced with film footage (run in reverse) of water pouring from large trip-tanks set up in the studio back lot.

Aside from winning the Academy Award for Best Effects, Special Effects, it was also nominated for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color, Best Cinematography, Color, Best Costume Design, Color (Edith Head, Ralph Jester, John Jensen, Dorothy Jeakins and Arnold Friberg), Best Film Editing, Best Picture and Best Sound, Recording.

I thought Heston was great in Planet of the Apes and 10 Commandments, but I'm not a Kings of Leon fan either.
:sexywink:

<>

diamond said:

It couldn't have been that crappy of a movie in it's time to recieve all this attention:

Academy Award win and nominations
The parting of the Red Sea won the film its Oscar for Special Effects. DeMille was reluctant to discuss technical details of how the film was made, especially the optical tricks used in the parting. It was eventually revealed that footage of the Red Sea was spliced with film footage (run in reverse) of water pouring from large trip-tanks set up in the studio back lot.

Aside from winning the Academy Award for Best Effects, Special Effects, it was also nominated for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color, Best Cinematography, Color, Best Costume Design, Color (Edith Head, Ralph Jester, John Jensen, Dorothy Jeakins and Arnold Friberg), Best Film Editing, Best Picture and Best Sound, Recording.

That's funny, I don't see any nomination for Best Actor. :hmm:

Diemen said:

That's funny, I don't see any nomination for Best Actor. :hmm:

Oh Diemure-

If his acting was so poor it would have derailed any consideration of nomination for best picture.

His acting merited well enough to be considered best picture.

I must add some days you almost wear me out diemure, but my posts are to clarify for those who may erroneously follow you blindly.

How's Snorah, btw?:yawn:

<>

diamond said:

If his acting was so poor it would have derailed any consideration of nomination for best picture.

erm, have you seen Billy Zane in "Titanic"?

diamond said:

I disagree. It was clearly the technical merits of the film that earned it the nominations and wins. Just look at your list of nominations - ALL were for the technical execution of the film. Luckily enough for the producers, the academy recognized those aspects despite Heston's acting. :wink:

I must add some days you almost wear me out diemure

:hug:

How's Snorah, btw?:yawn:

To quote someone who you admire greatly,

"Is that the best you can do?"

anitram said:

But that's not really my point. It's that his behaviour at the end of his life, in supporting gun rights, was purposely provocative, unhelpful and contributed to little more but escalation. He seemingly had no interest in dialogue and preferred to shock, in often offensive ways.

That's something entirely different than "strongly supporting" an issue. At least to me.

:up: Great point. The fact that he was passionate about Civil Rights is a wonderful thing, but he definitely lost the plot with the NRA. I don't mean this as sarcasm, but maybe he really did 'forget' his earlier humanity. Alzheimer's doesn't just come on suddenly overnight--his behavior was increasingly erratic leading up to his diagnosis.

martha said:

I missed that, but Billy Zane has his hot moments. :shifty:

My wife liked Lake Consequence? Is that the movie with Joan Severance:ohmy:

lake_consequence_cover.jpg

My wife has corrected my recollection - I liked the movie - and I am projecting it on her.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom