Charging Big Bills to Hear the Word of God

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What's a sermon worth? About $190, scalpers say

March 4, 2005

BY CATHLEEN FALSANI RELIGION WRITER Advertisement

Everyone knows the hottest ticket in Chicago for the month of May is U2's four-night stand at the United Center.

But you may be surprised to learn about the unlikely fellow who's rolling into town a few days before the Irish rockers and has sent equally rabid fans scrambling for tickets to see his, um, show.

His name is Joel Osteen. And he, too, is a rock star -- of sorts.

The same way the Dalai Lama, Billy Graham, Deepak Chopra, and the Pope are.

Osteen, 41, is a charming, leading-man-handsome pastor known to millions of television viewers around the globe for his weekly television program broadcast from his 25,000-member Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas.

On May 5 and 6, Osteen, who is sometimes called "the Smiling Preacher" and resembles a cross between a young Warren Beatty and infomercial king Tony Robbins, brings his national "Worship Tour" to the Allstate Arena in Rosemont.

'Truly sinful'

I learned of Osteen's eagerly anticipated arrival from a reader who, in a fit of righteous anger, sent me an e-mail decrying the scalping of tickets for what he thought were the sold-out worship events.

"Have these people no morals? No conscience?" Tony of West Chicago wrote. "They are selling $10 tickets for an event dedicated to God and prayer for a hundred bucks or more!! Truly sinful."

I've long thought "thou shalt not scalp tickets" should have been a part of the Decalogue. That and "thou shalt not jump the queue."

A little online investigation showed that tickets for Osteen's "Worship Tour" at the Allstate Arena -- with a face value of $10 ($13 if you count Ticketmaster's sadistic "convenience charge") -- were listed on ticket clearinghouse sites all over the Internet for as much as $190 a pop.

Outrageous, indeed. The mark-up is almost as much, relatively speaking, as those listed for tickets to the U2 shows at the United Center where $49.50 floor seats are going for $400-plus, and plum $165 seats are being offered for $1,400.

But why was a preacher charging for tickets to his worship service in the first place?

It doesn't quite seem like something Jesus would do.

'It's not a moneymaker'

Billy Graham never charges for entry into his crusades and rarely distributes tickets, according to a spokesman for his ministry. And even Benny Hinn, the embattled, too-slick-for-his-own-good televangelist/healer, handed out free tickets for his three-day crusade that packed the United Center last June.

I was beginning to wonder if Osteen, whose book Your Best Life Now: A Faith-based Approach to Living with Enthusiasm has been on the New York Times' bestseller list for 17 weeks, was trying to make a buck off of spreading the Good News.

A pay-to-pray kind of a deal.

Not at all, according to Don Iloff, a spokesman for Lakewood Church.

"It's not a moneymaker for us," Iloff told me Thursday. "It costs $750,000 to put on the event. Do the math. Even at $10 apiece it doesn't begin to cover it."

Osteen didn't want to have tickets at all, and certainly didn't want to charge for them, but after several non-ticketed events at arenas in Atlanta and California last year where thousands of people were turned away at the door, local law enforcement got nervous with the disappointed crowds, and the pastor had little choice, Iloff explained.

The first ticketed stop on Osteen's "Worship Tour," basically a traditional two-hour worship and sermon service, was at New York City's Madison Square Garden last fall. "They called us at Madison Square Garden and said, 'You must ticket this event. It will be mayhem if you don't," Iloff said.

Well, why not free tickets?

"We really hated the idea of charging," he said. "We only charged at the Garden because they asked us to."

If tickets are free, somebody could come in and ask for 100 tickets for their church and then only show up with 30 people, Iloff said, and 70 people who really wanted to go would be shut out.

"Ten bucks is no big deal and people appreciate the fact that they know they have a seat," and don't have to worry about arriving hours ahead of time to get a decent seat, he said.

That some people are illegally scalping the tickets or that brokers have them listed for exponentially inflated prices upsets Osteen.

"I shared it with Joel and he was very unhappy that anybody would pay that kind of money to get in. It's just not right," Iloff said, adding that Osteen's ministry is holding back a number of $10 tickets that will be available for walk-ups at the arena each day.

Tickets selling well

Still, not a few Chicagoans are willing to fork over $100 or more to make sure they can hear the young pastor preach up close and personal -- or at least as personal as you can get in an arena with 19,000 other worshippers.

"We've seen significant demand for his events," said Jeff Fluhr, CEO of Stubhub.com, a leading online clearinghouse for concerts and other events. "It's kind of the U2 of religious speakers."

While he wouldn't say how many tickets Stubhub, which has nearly 200 tickets listed for the Allstate dates ranging in price from $45 to $190, has sold for Osteen's worship gigs, Fluhr said business is brisk.

According to Iloff someone once said, "Joel Osteen is to Christianity what Michael Jordan is to the NBA."

That may be. I'm sure many people will flock to the arena in Rosemont simply to see the messenger, in this case a charismatic preacher who, among other messages, often tells his faithful that they need to abandon their "poverty mentality."

I can't help but look at it another way.

The sold-out arenas and ticket scalping -- legal or otherwise -- means thousands of people are willing to sacrifice their hard-earned money to listen to the gospel message.

And that, in supposedly secular 2005, is a scandal of a different kind.

You might even call it a revolution.

(P.S. As of late Thursday, Ticketmaster.com still had tickets available for both Osteen events at the Allstate Arena for the original $10 price.)

------------------------------------------------------
MY GOD AIN'T SHORT OF CASH, MISTER....:tsk:

Moderators, does this belong in the "Goal Is Soul" forum or the "Free Your Mind" forum?

It has references to U2 in the article, and in the past, Cathy's articles have appeared in this forum due to her apparent friendship with Bono.

Either which way, FYM or The Goal Is Soul - the truth is the awful truth about Corporate Religion.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

What exactly did Joel Osteen do that was wrong? He seems to be opposed to the scalping of tickets, and apparently didn't want to charge for them in the first place but had to due to venue issues with a non-ticketed event. How is he a false prophet?

Perhaps I missed something in the text?

~U2Alabama

Jamila said:
It has references to U2 in the article, and in the past, Cathy's articles have appeared in this forum due to her apparent friendship with Bono.

Either which way, FYM or The Goal Is Soul - the truth is the awful truth about Corporate Religion.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

It has passing references to U2, so it's automatically appropriate for The Goal Is Soul? This article is not about U2.

You had to know that this article had the potential to start an argument. You even insinuated that Joel Osteen is a "false prophet". This is not the forum for that kind of thing.

Here is the statement from the rules of the forum:

This is a general discussion area about U2 and their faith as found in their lyrics, their own words, as well as books written by others on this subject of their spirituality.

Not to be used for debates/discussions/etc on religion (use Free Your Mind for that).

Last edited:
I think I am going to go ahead and move this to FYM, because although I too am skeptical at the idea of charging anything for coming to hear a sermon (even $10), the "big bills" are those being tacked on by the scalpers and not the preacher himself. Perhaps a line of discussion might be, how would this preacher and his organization go about making sure the tickets are not scalped, or in lieu of selling tickets making sure that everyone who wants a place gets one.

earthshell said:
privatize social security, incorporate religion. i see the logic. :rolleyes:

:huh:

Some venues have requested that tickets be sold.

The real scary aspect of this story is that people will pay the scalper prices to attend the event - suggesting that they are after something more than hearing the Word of God.

I can understand why they want tickets sold for security reasons. This guy sounds popular enough that there's the risk of a huge trampling if they don't use some sort of crowd control. Can you say "The Who in Cincy?" Ever since then there's been some sort of nervousness over this sort of thing happening again.

I may not agree with his theology, but I can understand where he is coming from. At that price I hardly think he will be raking in the dough. All that comes from his booksales, which is perfectly legitimate.

I've seen Joel Osteen on television...he's not like Benny Hinn, parading around and asking for money in exchange for healings... I believe this was more a security reason with the ticketing rather than for profit. His home church in Texas is enormous as it is.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't understand large "sermons" like this anyway.

Neither do I, but in my case it's because I'm from a really sacramental branch of the Christian faith. Sermons are far more important to Protestants than they are to either us Catholics or the Eastern Orthodox.

Didn't Jesus chase the moneychasers out of the temple?

Somehow I don't think Christ was at peace with people making a profit from the Word of God.:tsk:

Jamila said:
Didn't Jesus chase the moneychasers out of the temple?

Somehow I don't think Christ was at peace with people making a profit from the Word of God.:tsk:

:rolleyes:

According to the article you posted, the ticket revenue would not offset the cost of the event = no profit.

Also, the Church has collected money from day 1.

Doesn't matter what the Church does, nb, I only CARE ABOUT WHAT JESUS WANTS.

Maybe that is where people get confused - thinking the Church is the personification of Christ, when it is not.

It has become a self-serving entity of its own - with very little resemblence to what Jesus taught.

Corporate Religion $$$$$

The Church is the body of believers.

Maybe you have had bad experiences in churches in your area.

I have found caring, loving people who want to glorify God through their worship and service.

Jamila said:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/falsani/cst-nws-fals04.html

I have many comments, but it would be interesting to hear what others have to say.

This article simply substantiates for me what I have been saying about the vultures and false prophets parading around as "men of God" today. :down:

then you must only see what you want in the articles...

[Q]Not at all, according to Don Iloff, a spokesman for Lakewood Church.

"It's not a moneymaker for us," Iloff told me Thursday. "It costs $750,000 to put on the event. Do the math. Even at $10 apiece it doesn't begin to cover it."

Osteen didn't want to have tickets at all, and certainly didn't want to charge for them, but after several non-ticketed events at arenas in Atlanta and California last year where thousands of people were turned away at the door, local law enforcement got nervous with the disappointed crowds, and the pastor had little choice, Iloff explained.

The first ticketed stop on Osteen's "Worship Tour," basically a traditional two-hour worship and sermon service, was at New York City's Madison Square Garden last fall. "They called us at Madison Square Garden and said, 'You must ticket this event. It will be mayhem if you don't," Iloff said.

Well, why not free tickets?

"We really hated the idea of charging," he said. "We only charged at the Garden because they asked us to."[/Q]

Where is the profit at? I fail to see it anywhere in the article.

On a side note Jamila, do you believe it is wrong for preachers to make any money at all?

It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that it's wrong to make a living, as far as I'm aware. Preachers have a right to make a living same as anyone else!

Jamila:

What exactly did Joel Osteen do that was wrong? He seems to be opposed to the scalping of tickets, and apparently didn't want to charge for them in the first place but had to due to venue issues with a non-ticketed event. How is he a false prophet?

Perhaps I missed something in the text?

~U2Alabama

We Catholics wouldn't have our sacraments without the Church. There are "bad apples" in the Church, to be sure, but we can't practice our religions without the sacraments, which means we can't practice it without the Church. Plus being in a community of believers has its rewards, which I wouldn't trade for anything.

I'll chime in with the others and say he doesn't exactly seem to be making a huge profit with this. If the venues are requiring him to sell tickets there's nothing he can do about this. Plus, a guy's got to make a living. People are willing to pay $10 to hear him. If it were some huge fee and he was making a pile of dough from this, I'd object to this, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

There is a stereotype perpetuated about television evangelists that all they do is ask for money.

A recent study concluded that televangelists ask for money about 17% of the time during their show.

Compare that with regular television, which has a 28% commercial rate.

nbcrusader said:
There is a stereotype perpetuated about television evangelists that all they do is ask for money.

A recent study concluded that televangelists ask for money about 17% of the time during their show.

Compare that with regular television, which has a 28% commercial rate.

I don't think it matters how often they ask for it, it matters where it's going.

Luther-era indulgences have evolved into televangelism. I'm not into televangelism at all, but what annoys me is the way they market their products. "Buy this, it will get you closer to God." Now we have scalping over the message.

Well, it certainly didn't help that it was revealed that the Bakkers were paying for an air-conditioner for a doghouse with funds raised from their followers. That was a blatant rip-off and fraud that landed him in jail. Jimmy Swaggart was spending money raised from his followers on pricey mansions for his in-laws and his wife was shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue. Naturally people are a bit suspicious about preachers and money. But Orsteen mainly seems to be paying off the costs of the trip, which is cool. There's a heck of alot of difference between paying costs and lying to the public about what you're doing with the money they send you.

Back
Top Bottom