Chappaquiddick- Ted Kennedy's OJ moment - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Chappaquiddick- Ted Kennedy's OJ moment

The recent news of Bono attending a 'tribute' for this man led my old distaste for him to come back to the surface. As far as I'm concerned he killed that girl, he wanted her out of the way. He probably didn't intend to drive off the bridge into the water, after all he was drunk and driving on a suspended liscense, but we will never know. What we do know is he escaped without any real attempt to save her, walked down the road never asking anyone for help, and waited 8 hours to report the accident. By then Mary Jo Kopechne and all she knew on Ted were gone. I don't want to bring up the Marilyn Monroe conspiracy theory, but it does seem the Kennedys are able to eliminate mistresses who have outlived their usefulness and may cause trouble later.

If any ordinary person had done what Ted did, they'd be sitting in jail probably to this day, not having a long career in the Senate and being honored. In that way, he is like OJ, his name and money allowed him to walk away from something none of us could have. This is not a conspiracy theory, this is not only a scandal, this is history.

http://www.gfsnet.org/msweb/sixties/chappaquiddick.html

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

You're right on one thing: it IS history! It'll certainly be the thing that dogs him until he dies. But it is over, and, no, Ted probably wouldn't be sitting in jail to this day. They don't sentence manslaughter to 30+ years, and certainly not back then.

But it shouldn't negate the (debateable, of course, depending on your political leanings) good he has done in the Senate since. The people of Massachusetts continue reelect him, in spite of what happened (it isn't like it is a secret!), and, as far as everyone but Republicans are concerned it is ancient history.

Melon

Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I just don't think it's fair for anyone, regardless of money or party, to get away with something like that because of who they are. Gary Hart was ruined by the Donna Rice scandal. This is a dead girl. If it were someone you loved that died, would it be good enough to say, oh well, it's history, it's in the past? If that's the case, we might as well all go kill someone who is a problem in our lives and then lie and wait several years and say, oh forget it, it's in the past! No, this SHOULD dog him the rest of his life. They say it cost him the White House, it should have at least cost him his political career if not his freedom. Poor people are sitting in jail for much less.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

And also, if he had done things in the Senate that you disapproved of, would you have wished he'd been in jail instead? Is the death of that girl justified because you needed his vote in congress?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 PM
I agree U2Kitten there's something terribly unfair about this. I have never liked this guy either. If I'd had anything to do with someone's death like that I'd be rotting in a jail cell. Ugh.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I just don't think it's fair for anyone, regardless of money or party, to get away with something like that because of who they are.
Welcome to America, home of the free and justice to all (that have money and power). Just look at our president.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #7
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
I remember doing a class project on this in my senior year government class back in '79, the 10 year anniversary of it. The teacher, a man who had emigrated from Greece stowed away on a merchant marine tanker at age 11 and worked his way though college, had saved all the news stories on it from his college days since it had upset him and intrigued him so much. We got all the evidence and the class had a 'trial' for Kennedy. He was found unanimously guilty, 30-0. The thing I could never get past was that he literally ran on foot past a brightly lit fire station about a half mile from the water. If he had intended to save Mary Jo, he could easily have ran in there for help!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Welcome to America, home of the free and justice to all (that have money and power). Just look at our president.
Ah I see. So everything has to come back to Bush, and because you think he's soooo bad everyone else is excused of everything? If Bush had done this, the thread would have had 188 responses by now. Nobody wants to think ill of their beloved Kennedys so most of you selectively ignore this.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #9
The Fly

nicely said U2Kitten!

Old 07-02-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

To equate Teddy Kennedy with OJ is just plain wrong!

Ok...Ted wants to kill her. They both get drunk. SHE is this one driving ove the bridge. Did Ted use mind control to make her drive off the bridge?
In no way do I believe this was some pre-planned murder.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I just don't think it's fair for anyone, regardless of money or party, to get away with something like that because of who they are. Gary Hart was ruined by the Donna Rice scandal. This is a dead girl. If it were someone you loved that died, would it be good enough to say, oh well, it's history, it's in the past? If that's the case, we might as well all go kill someone who is a problem in our lives and then lie and wait several years and say, oh forget it, it's in the past! No, this SHOULD dog him the rest of his life. They say it cost him the White House, it should have at least cost him his political career if not his freedom. Poor people are sitting in jail for much less.
Gary Hart was ruined by the Donna Rice scandal. It doesn't mean that he should have been ruined by it.

And this is a tough call. If he had been sent to prison and ruined, then he wouldn't have been able to do the good he has done as a senior Democratic senator (again, debateable, depending on your political leanings, and perhaps that's for another thread). I guess, in some ways, this has to be connected to the issue of "forgiveness" and "rehabilitation." People inevitably make mistakes, some very minor and some very serious, like the issue here. When is it time to let go?

I'm mindful of the fact that, had this been a Republican, the debate might have taken a different turn. But I will say that, at least for me, a lot of my swipes at Republicans tend to be out of vengeance. It's the same kind of glee I get out of watching a judgmental televangelist get nailed for tax evasion or be caught having an extramarital affair. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." The question, regardless of one's political affiliation, though, is when is it time to let go? And I really don't know the answer to this question.

Sen. Kennedy will have to answer to God someday, and since he has not since posed a threat to society, I'm willing to let him deal with his conscience.

Melon
Old 07-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by RockNRollDawgie
To equate Teddy Kennedy with OJ is just plain wrong!

Ok...Ted wants to kill her. They both get drunk. SHE is this one driving ove the bridge. Did Ted use mind control to make her drive off the bridge?
In no way do I believe this was some pre-planned murder.
Good point as well.

Melon
Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:

Ah I see. So everything has to come back to Bush, and because you think he's soooo bad everyone else is excused of everything? If Bush had done this, the thread would have had 188 responses by now. Nobody wants to think ill of their beloved Kennedys so most of you selectively ignore this.
Well actually I never equated Bush with this act but rather equated him with the privelaged who get off scott free. No one is excused of anything. The Kennedys aren't beloved to me. But...you are one of the most partisan people in this forum yet you accuse everyone else of being so. So I pretty much threw the Bush thing out there to see if you would bite and you did.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #14
War Child

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime, as is not helping a person in need. In France, it carries jail time, I don't know about here. It looks to me like, even though he didn't plan to kill her, he was hoping she'd die and be out of the way so he left her when he could have helped her, like Susan Smith did her babies. I really don't see any defense for this man, other than his popularity and name, which doesn't mean shit to me.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:03 AM   #15
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
If Bush had done this, the thread would have had 188 responses by now. Nobody wants to think ill of their beloved Kennedys so most of you selectively ignore this.
well, that it happened before I was born also helps

I could still talk about the poor justicial system I guess
but I don't know enough about that

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa