Change the Subject!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
so here we are. a few months after 2005, possibly the worst year ever for an American administration.

pop quiz, hot shot: the Republicans have just raised the debt limit to $9 trillion. incompetence has precipitated a brewing civil war Iraq. the Gulf Coast remains in shambles. Social Security reform was soundly defeated. there are virtually no substantive proposals being offered to the pubic.

so, what do you do if you must stop a Democratic landslide this November?

what do you do?!?!?!

answer: CHANGE THE SUBJECT! BLAME THE HOMOS!

[Q]House Republicans, for their part, intend to seek votes on measures such as the Bush-backed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a bill allowing more public expression of religion, another requiring parental consent for women under 18 to get an abortion, legislation to bar all federal courts except the Supreme Court from ruling on the constitutionality of the Pledge of Allegiance, a bill to outlaw human cloning, and another that would require doctors to consider fetal pain before performing an abortion.

Two pollsters consulted by Mehlman on the choice strategy said it would be counterproductive for Republican candidates to concentrate on highlighting their differences with Bush or congressional Republicans. Of course this is not exactly disinterested advice. Mehlman and company all want to help the president, who stands to lose most from Republicans' adopting an "I'm not like Bush" strategy.

Dave Sackett of the Tarrance Group said, in a memo to Mehlman, that distancing oneself from the president is a "flawed strategy" and would not protect a Republican candidate "from the generic backlash against the administration or the congressional leadership." Rather, it would turn the campaign into "a national referendum on President Bush and the policies of the administration and the congressional leadership"--just what Republicans fear in 2006. Jan van Lohuizen of Voter/Consumer Research said a campaign that becomes a referendum on Bush could also chill Republican voter turnout. "Anything we do to depress turnout, by not running as a unified party, for instance, could very well lead to serious consequences in November."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/011/987ykuud.asp?pg=2

[/Q]

House Republicans, for their part, intend to seek votes on measures such as

1. the Bush-backed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage,

2. a bill allowing more public expression of religion,

3. another requiring parental consent for women under 18 to get an abortion,

4. legislation to bar all federal courts except the Supreme Court from ruling on the constitutionality of the Pledge of Allegiance,

5. a bill to outlaw human cloning,

6. and another that would require doctors to consider fetal pain before performing an abortion.

these are the SIX major issues that are confronting America

or these are the SIX issues that the GOP believes will further divide and incite enough to keep the RED States voters on board?

you forgot #7 -- banning human-animal hybrids lest a race of half-orangutang, half-human monsters take over the earth

Are you still living in the fifties down there? Come back to the future!!

They should legislate this kind of stuff too.

goodwife3al.jpg

no, only a critical mass of people are still living in the fifties.

sadly, Jesus seems to be telling them to vote Republican.

Jesus is the answer, guys.

How to solve the war? Jesus.
How to deflect gross ineptitude? Jesus.
How to solve the rising national debt? Jesus.
2+2=Jesus.

Melon

[q]And finally, New Rule: The Republican and Democratic frontrunners for president in 2008 have to stop making me throw up until at least 2007. This week, the Republicans had a straw poll for the 2008 presidential election. 2008? The Democrats still have work to do losing the midterms. Diebold hasn't even started printing the false ballots!

And President "McDumbass" still has three more years of bloopers, boners and practical jokes!

But an interesting thing happened at this straw poll. Senator John McCain, the man the Vietnamese couldn't crack in torture chambers, got up and said, "Don't vote for me. Vote for George Bush, even though he can't run again." Wow, this guy is so far up Bush's ass, he can taste the near-beer. Because, in America, if you want the nomination bad enough, we can't just see you eat dirt; we have to watch you lick it off your lips.

And if you're going to win a national election, we're going to need to see some real proof that you're stupid enough to carry Kansas. Sorry, but if you think that issues like creationism or flag-burning or boys kissing are more important than messing up Iraq, the state of health insurance and the evaporating planet earth, then I have two words for you: the Sylvan Learning Center. Okay, that's four words, but the point remains...

The vote that frontrunners McCain and Hillary Clinton have already made very clear they're going after the wedge-issue cement-heads. McCain, who once called Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson "forces of evil," has now come out for teaching "intelligent design." That is sad, when smart people have to pretend to be so dumb to get elected.

Hillary - Hillary Clinton is all upset about flag-burning. Really? The valedictorian at Wellesley? The graduate of Yale Law School and the first female in outer space? Is upset about flag-burning?! And not just flag-burning. She's also come out hard against sexy video games and easy access to abortions. Great. What am I supposed to do now on Saturday night?

But if, like Hillary Clinton, America sees you as a true intellectual—and by that, of course, I mean lesbian—you have to smile extra wide when you get fitted for your "I'm with Stupid" tee-shirt. It may look easy, but when you're a politician, it's hard to figure out 'what would soccer moms think Jesus would do' before you answer every question.

So, don't get me wrong. I love idiots. I just don't think they should be in charge. And I'll tell you why. Because the majority of Americans are not idiots. Assholes, yes. But, idiots, no. ~ bill maher

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/new_rules/

[/q]

That 40% is the disenfranchised and is continuing to grow, here in Canada too. The politicians love it since it's much easier to pander to smaller groups.:wink:

Maoilbheannacht said:

By not voting, they essentially endorse the outcome of any election automatically.

i'd say the forfeit their right to complain, but i don't think absentia is an automatic endorsement.

Irvine511 said:
i'd say the forfeit their right to complain, but i don't think absentia is an automatic endorsement.

At least a tacit endorcement of whoever wins.

Voluntary high turnout elections occur when life will really change with the outcome of the election.

Back
Top Bottom