Change in the News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okay...here we go........my preference would be:

Wolf......7pm to 8pm (I like Jack's attitude)...news of the day
Anderson Cooper....8pm to 10pm...more news of the day & some special interest
Paula Zahn.......10pm to 11pm....entertainment news...more daily news
Larry King.....11pm to midnight......whatever

I don't know about Anderson 10pm to midnight......we're early birds here in Florida.......11pm is my limit....that still leaves me with only 5-1/2 hrs. sleep before I hit the road with the rest of the crew with the pedal to the metal.
So that means I would be missing an hour's worth of broadcast.

:|

I think it's time for Larry King to retire as well

Cooper's celebrity is part of the story in new CNN role

By Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff | November 7, 2005

Tonight on CNN: The cult of personality begins.

That's how many media critics have reacted to the rise of Anderson Cooper, the 38-year-old news host who assumes the network's highest-profile anchor slot tonight.

When CNN announced last week that ''Anderson Cooper 360" was moving from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m on weekdays -- and that network stalwart Aaron Brown, host of ''NewsNight" in that time slot, was leaving altogether -- critics howled about the triumph of glitter over gravitas. The boyish metrosexual who once hosted the reality show ''The Mole" had edged out the measured, old-school anchorman. TV news would never be the same.

In truth, Cooper is significantly more than a suited-up entertainer. Despite his rarefied upbringing (he's the son of socialite designer Gloria Vanderbilt), he worked in the trenches for years for teen-oriented Channel One News and for ABC, reporting from trouble spots and disaster scenes and anchoring ABC's ''World News Now" before he got his eponymous show.

But among a certain urban set, Cooper enjoys a special sort of buzz, centered as much on persona as resume. Snarkier-than-thou blogs such as the media site Gawker.com obsess, and sometimes fawn, over his salt-and-pepper hair, his social life, and the recent sale of his $1.8 million Manhattan loft.

When Cooper turned major national news into what seemed like a personal crusade during Hurricane Katrina, the often cynical online set hailed him as a hero. When his interview with Senator Mary Landrieu, a Democrat from Louisiana, veered into an angry monologue about the slow federal response, Gawker gushed: ''Was it possible for us to love Anderson Cooper more than we already did? Yes, it turns out, it was possible."

CNN has never shied away from promoting Cooper as a celebrity. The network's website posts his columns for Details magazine, featuring ruminations on everything from the real estate market (''Selling your apartment in New York is like dating a manic-depressive") to vacations (''I don't do vacations very well. By the second day I'm bored.")

And if he's part of the zeitgeist, all the better for CNN, says Jonathan Klein, the network's president. ''You like it when someone becomes a pop-culture icon and deserves it," Klein says.

Cooper was on vacation last week and unavailable for comment, a CNN spokeswoman said.

Last week's moves were the latest in a string of changes Klein has made since he took the helm of the network in November 2004. He dropped Bill Hemmer from the weekday show ''American Morning" and replaced him with Miles O'Brien. He killed the afternoon staples ''Inside Politics" and ''Crossfire" and established a flashier afternoon show, ''Situation Room," that features Wolf Blitzer standing in front of a bank of plasma TVs. He has put an emphasis on covering personalities, including those of his own staff; he once had Judy Woodruff interview Robert Novak about his conversion to Catholicism.

''It's very important to help the audience make an emotional connection to a story, and some people just know how to do it instinctively," Klein said. ''Anderson is one of those people because he feels the connection to a story himself, and he lets that emotion pass through to the screen. He's not afraid to show how much he cares."

Over the past year, Cooper has been front and center on the scene of a string of big-news tragedies: the Terri Schiavo affair in Florida, the death of the pope in Vatican City, the tsunami in Southeast Asia, Katrina in New Orleans.

High ratings haven't quite followed. All year, ''Anderson Cooper 360" has consistently drawn only about half the viewers of Fox News Channel's ''The Fox Report With Shepard Smith" in the same 7 p.m. time slot. And while ''NewsNight" ratings spiked when Cooper joined Brown on the show during the hurricane, by late October, with Cooper still on the program, viewership had dropped back to about previous levels, according to Nielsen data.

Still, Klein said, CNN's market research shows that viewers have responded to Cooper. ''The awareness of him and the proportion of people, of viewers, who say that they like him," Klein says, ''has gone through the roof."

It's unsurprising that Cooper's personality has become part of the story, says Matthew Felling, media director of the Center for Media and Public Affairs, based in Washington D.C. Major news events have a way of promoting personalities, Felling notes. But the TV news business -- as Aaron Brown might attest -- has a way of moving on.

''Just as 9/11 begat [MSNBC anchor] Ashleigh Banfield, so did Katrina create Anderson Cooper," Felling said. ''Which begs the question: Anyone seen Ashleigh lately?"

Has anyone watched Anderson Cooper new show? I have only caught the first 1/2 hours but he looks happy and I guess the show is okay.

Just wondering....I enjoyed the 7pm slot but Wolf is doing a good job. I see Wolf made today's Mother Goose & Grimm cartoon.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's unsurprising that Cooper's personality has become part of the story, says Matthew Felling, media director of the Center for Media and Public Affairs, based in Washington D.C. Major news events have a way of promoting personalities, Felling notes. But the TV news business -- as Aaron Brown might attest -- has a way of moving on.

''Just as 9/11 begat [MSNBC anchor] Ashleigh Banfield, so did Katrina create Anderson Cooper," Felling said. ''Which begs the question: Anyone seen Ashleigh lately?"
I think this is a ridiculous comparison. Anderson Cooper was already an established CNN anchor with his own evening show long before Katrina. His coverage during the hurricane simply raised his profile a little more, which led CNN to co-host him with Aaron Brown, which led to Cooper taking over Brown's show completely. It's not like he came out of nowhere and was just handed Brown's show.

Banfield, however, did come out of nowhere. She was a low-profile, run-of-the-mill reporter before Sept 11. She happened to be available in New York that day and did some very good segments which got a lot of positive feedback. NBC should have increased her profile gradually allowing her to grow into more important stories. But instead, they handed her her own MSNBC show and threw her into stories and interviews that she simply wasn't experienced enough to handle. As a result, she was in way over her head, became kind of a media joke, and is now pretty much gone from the news scene. Last I heard, she was hosting on Court TV.

I think that any commentators who would compare Cooper to Banfield are stupid or just jealous of Cooper's success and I'm not a big Cooper fan. It annoys me when he starts talking so fast that he's almost gasping for air between sentences. But I still think the comparison to Banfield is silly.

Last edited:

Nothing against Anderson.......just late edition is a bad time.....I'm usually focusing somewhere else.

:shrug:

From the little I do watch......it appears Anderson has taken on a more serious role......perhaps it's the time slot which makes him look older for some reason. Don't know....just something strange about the whole thing. Can't understand the logic of it all.

I do like the multi-screens at 7pm though....I wish they could do a screen for the entire world.

:huh:

this is newsworthy!

Anderson made People Magazine's sexiest men alive

:drool:

acooper.jpg

Ryan Seacrest, subbing for Larry King last night, checked in with Anderson Cooper for a teaser of what was coming up on 360°.

Cooper: That’s the biggest tie I’ve ever seen, by the way.

Seacrest: Yeah, you know, I don’t know. It’s bigger than my head, isn’t it?

Cooper: No, it works, it works for you. It just, you know, I just noticed it….

Seacrest: Look at the size of your… your bow’s tiny, mine’s huge.

Cooper: I’ve heard that often.

I guess ties are in the news lately....different colors are the rage. Just not interested in who wears what.......it's the news that matters to me.

Was that the People magazine with Kenny Chesney on the cover...I was going to get it but I was in a rush to get somewhere.

Re: this is newsworthy!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Anderson made People Magazine's sexiest men alive

:drool:

acooper.jpg

I got my hardcopy today. :hyper: Bono was on the next page. :hyper:

Oh my goodness, how can one stay under control??? :|

This is a nice photo of Anderson...but anyone have an idea why he's sitting next to a manhole cover?

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom