Censoring September 11th - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It was tongue-and-cheek, although I don't take kindly to organizations that get their jollies by pushing for media censorship and slandering homosexuals, equating them with pedophiles every chance they get.

They don't need guns to wreak real damage on Americans; so, as far as I'm concerned, whatever you'd like to call them, I consider them to be as evil and damaging as any fascist entity.

I can't think of any kind of organization in America I despise more than these so-called "family" organizations. They certainly don't represent my family.

"Focus on your own damn family."

Melon
Good grief, Melon. I'm inclined to agree with everyone on this board -- that the images of the planes and the aftermath are far more disturbing than the harshest of harsh language -- but equating the genuine fascism of the terrorists who flew planes into buildings with the AFA is more than a little over the top.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Good grief, Melon. I'm inclined to agree with everyone on this board -- that the images of the planes and the aftermath are far more disturbing than the harshest of harsh language -- but equating the genuine fascism of the terrorists who flew planes into buildings with the AFA is more than a little over the top.
I agree.

But I won't rest UNTIL YOU PUT PROFANITY ON TV!!!!!!
ARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I don't see the big deal about making it a little more FCC-friendly.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:16 PM
I really dont get it. The disturbing thing, the thing which no human can comprehend, is 2 planes flying into 2 buildings. And people want to split hairs over some language? The footage of those planes makes people of all kinds cringe in the least. That is something we can all universally agree on.

Who bloody cares about the language. Jesus.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

You really don't think it's a big deal to alter and censor the human reaction to the worst terrorist attack ever on American soil? To actually be that bothered by it that you start petitions? Can we stop the tape before the planes hit too so we can censor that as well? If only that could change what happened for all those people. If it could, I would be all for it.

I am bewildered. It's a few swear words, who the hell is it going to harm?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #35
She's the One

Local Time: 04:16 AM

Quote:
So the FCC gets to determine the appropriate response uttered while watching a jetliner crash into a skyscraper?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Evidently.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
But that's it. I don't agree with the equation that terrorism = fascism. Call it what it is: "terrorism." Bush once called this a "different kind of war," and I'm inclined to agree, even if, in practice, he's fumbled and made the mistake of waging this war just as if it was the same kind of war. And with a "different kind of war," it seems silly to use the "same kind of label."

Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco were undeniably nuts. And so is bin Laden. But it's like a bag of mixed nuts. They're not the same kind.

Melon
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

You really don't think it's a big deal to alter and censor the human reaction to the worst terrorist attack ever on American soil? To actually be that bothered by it that you start petitions? Can we stop the tape before the planes hit too so we can censor that as well? If only that could change what happened for all those people. If it could, I would be all for it.

I am bewildered. It's a few swear words, who the hell is it going to harm?
I don't think it should surprise anyone that the reactions were censored. All you really need to know about the human reaction is that people were horrified, and millions of lives would never be the same as a result of the attack. You don't have to know every letter and every context of every last swear word.

But to censor the planes crashing into the WTC would be a pretty late form of censorship. We've been accustomed to seeing the planes crash and have accepted it as much as we've accepted footage from the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki as part of our history.

As far as the "who does it harm" question goes, I ask you who does it harm if we don't hear every four-letter word?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Terrorism is a means, the fascism is the clerical statism that these men want to see dominate the world, the aspiration is ingrained in their theology.

The war on terrorism is the fallacy, it is a war on Islamism and if Islam and Islamism truly are inseparable then it is going to be a very bloody affair for all involved in it
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

But that's it. I don't agree with the equation that terrorism = fascism. Call it what it is: "terrorism." Bush once called this a "different kind of war," and I'm inclined to agree, even if, in practice, he's fumbled and made the mistake of waging this war just as if it was the same kind of war. And with a "different kind of war," it seems silly to use the "same kind of label."

Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco were undeniably nuts. And so is bin Laden. But it's like a bag of mixed nuts. They're not the same kind.

Melon
Terrorism is historically linked to fascism. The two are not mutually exclusive. Fascism is ineffective without the use of terrorism, and vice versa.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:

As far as the "who does it harm" question goes, I ask you who does it harm if we don't hear every four-letter word?
It harms all of us. And it insults the memory of the firefighters and everyone who died that day.

It harms all of us and insults our intelligence to have anyone treat us like babies and try to tell us that people reacted that day in words other than the f word or whatever other "offensive" word one might hear. We are not watching the Howard Stern show, we are watching a human tragedy that still remains beyond comprehension and painful beyond words. Any swear word you can imagine is meaningless compared to that-how anyone cannot understand that is beyond me.

The planes hit the towers and yes, people and firefighters and police SWORE-that is reality. Both are reality, what is the difference in censoring either? Censoring the human reaction to what happened is silly, insulting, ridiculous, absurd, etc. etc.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Terrorism is historically linked to fascism. The two are not mutually exclusive. Fascism is ineffective without the use of terrorism, and vice versa.
No, fascism is very effective when it is running the state and using the organs of the state to control the population. Terrorism can be distinct from state violence - but they are each types of tactics and actions not the type of political system.

The proscribed submission to God and his appointed clerical class that enforces the Sharia is what makes Islamists fascistic. The religious police that will control behaviour is what makes it fascistic. This type of clerical fascism has been manifested in Christianity on more than a few occasions and regardless of the source it is repellent and the most forceful case against religion.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

It harms all of us. And it insults the memory of the firefighters and everyone who died that day.

It harms all of us and insults our intelligence to have anyone treat us like babies and try to tell us that people reacted that day in words other than the f word or whatever other "offensive" word one might hear. We are not watching the Howard Stern show, we are watching a human tragedy that still remains beyond comprehension and painful beyond words. Any swear word you can imagine is meaningless compared to that-how anyone cannot understand that is beyond me.

The planes hit the towers and yes, people and firefighters and police SWORE-that is reality. Both are reality, what is the difference in censoring either? Censoring the human reaction to what happened is silly, insulting, ridiculous, absurd, etc. etc.
I've seen several 9/11 documentaries and I've never seen any of our 9/11 heroes, or relatives of those who died in the attack ever complain about the FCC's policies on censorship. Censorship only hurts those who are being censored and the audience that demands more profanity in our culture. That is all. I'm sure many police officers used profanity that day, but those who made it out alive weren't exactly crying censorship the next day. The verbal censorship did nothing to demean the families of 9/11 or our heroes.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

There were probably hundreds of thousands of prayers prayed silently and aloud by NYFD and NYPD officers that day. I expect that those hundreds of thousands of prayers will not be aired on this documentary. Do any of you call that censorship? Aren't those prayers every bit as important to the rescue efforts as the utterance of swear words? Those prayers were as honest an emotional response to the situation as swearing was. By leaving those prayers out, are they demeaning the memory and honor of those who said those prayers?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #45
She's the One

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
There were probably hundreds of thousands of prayers prayed silently and aloud by NYFD and NYPD officers that day. I expect that those hundreds of thousands of prayers will not be aired on this documentary. Do any of you call that censorship? Aren't those prayers every bit as important to the rescue efforts as the utterance of swear words? Those prayers were as honest an emotional response to the situation as swearing was. By leaving those prayers out, are they demeaning the memory and honor of those who said those prayers?
80s, you're getting all worked up about what "probably" happened and what you "expect". NO ONE has actually censored the prayers of anyone on this show, and how can you censor silent prayers anyway?

BUT, if, for some reason, your beloved FCC decided to do such a thing, I would be as pissed about that as I am about them censoring the firefighters real and actual reaction.