celebrity bashing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i've noticed whenever someone of celebrity status (like say...lindsay lohan or jennifer lopez) makes an appearance in the daily paper, there's quite a few who jump at the chance to "bash" the celebrity regarding how they look or something to that effect. then there's the few who have a kind word.

why do we "bash" the celebrities?

is it because we can? or we just can't stand them so much that we have to offer a negative opinion on how they dress/how much they weigh/too skinny etc?

or are we jealous because they have more money than we do?

discuss.

People project insecurities and jealousies on people everyday, celebrities are just the easiest targets. I see people do it to people everyday, it's just easier to "bash" a celebrity because they aren't swinging distance from you most of the time.

I think its because people get so sick of hearing about them. Almost everyday, we have to hear about Lindsay Lohan's problems with her father, or Nick and Jessica may be splitting up. Who cares?

And about them being an easy target, another reason I think is because some celebrities would do anything to get their names in the paper even if it means doing PR stunts or telling lies (such as Britney being a "virgin"). And the public gets the idea that they're full of it, so they bash them.

Its all over the celebrity magazines. Go to the newsstand and that's all you see.

Who knows? It could be a PR stunt :wink:

Pearl said:
I think its because people get so sick of hearing about them. Almost everyday, we have to hear about Lindsay Lohan's problems with her father, or Nick and Jessica may be splitting up. Who cares?

Well, course, then again, to those who think that, I'd say just don't read the tabloids or the magazines (or skip over the stories if they want to read other parts of the magazines). And if there's a story on an entertainment show about this stuff that doesn't interest someone, then they can change the channel. That's what I always do. I may not care about that stuff, but there's someone else out there who does care, so... I'm sure there's people out there who don't care to hear about what Bono does all the time, either. But I do, so I'll pay attention, and those that don't care don't have to pay attention.

Anywho, my dad's said before that society has a habit of building people, be they famous or not, up-we love to see them get successful, cheer them on, and help those that are famous become famous by buying their albums or watching their movies or reading their books or whatever-and then once they are built up, we tend to start tearing them down for some reason. Doing that, to me, seems kinda stupid when you think about it.

There's some celebrities that I love, but most of the celebrities in this world I just don't have an opinion on one way or the other-I just don't really care what they do or who they hang out with. And the few that I don't like, I say my piece about them, and then move on with my own life. And my not liking them has nothing to do with being jealous of them, because if I really wanted the lifestyle they have, I could REALLY work my butt off and possibly achieve it-if I don't bother to try and get to where they are, well, that's my fault, not theirs, so it'd be stupid for me to hate them as a result of that. It also has nothing to do with how much they weigh, or how they dress, 'cause that's all entirely up to them, I don't see that stuff as worthy of throwing a hissy fit.

No, if I don't care for a celebrity, it's basically because from the things I've heard them say and do, to me, they sound rather rude and snotty, they just don't seem like very nice people. And even then, sometimes I have to remind myself that I don't always know the full story, and that things can be taken out of context, and that everyone has their bad days where they snap at people-doesn't automatically mean they're a jerk of a person.

Anywho, rambling over...sadly, that is one price you pay for being famous-the constant rumors and backlash that you can receive from the general public.

Angela

Celebrities are an easy target. Some people are jealous of them because the problems in their lives are so different, and some people assume that anyone for whom money is not a day-to-day concern don't have any problems. This is bull:censored:. Fabulously wealthy people have problems dealing with their status. They have other sorts of problems, all sorts of problems. The people in Jean Sasson's "The Princess Trilogy" have the Stress From Hell, and they're some of the richest people on the planet. I would not trade lives with those people. Never. I'd rather have to deal with my problems than theirs.

seriously speaking..

i think this scripture hits it on the head..:)

Luke 12:48 -- "From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded"

peace-
db9

the magazine, tv show and web site all require content.

with the proliferation of access technologies and wide variety of content providers (though they mostly only appear different) and the wide variety of content (though they, also, mostly only appear different), it is neccessary to find some new people and things to talk about.

i think bashing celebrities is okay -- they know they're putting themselves up to ridicule, and more than a few of them need a bit of a come uppance. that said, many do great work (like, say, Bono) and should thusly be commended for their efforts.

one problem i do have, however, is to call people "idiot actors." in some cities in america -- like los angeles -- being an actor is like being a dentist, or some other profession. many actors do not make a lot of money, go from job to job, and live a pretty middle class standard of life, even though they're on TV. to lump all actors as idiots is the same as calling all lawyers scum.

Irvine511 said:
i think bashing celebrities is okay -- they know they're putting themselves up to ridicule, and more than a few of them need a bit of a come uppance. that said, many do great work (like, say, Bono) and should thusly be commended for their efforts.

one problem i do have, however, is to call people "idiot actors." in some cities in america -- like los angeles -- being an actor is like being a dentist, or some other profession. many actors do not make a lot of money, go from job to job, and live a pretty middle class standard of life, even though they're on TV. to lump all actors as idiots is the same as calling all lawyers scum.

My sister's first husband was an actor in New York. He got one great part, in a play with Molly Ringwald. But that was it. He was working another job to pay the rent. And the play only lasted a number of months. He still had to pay bills after the play closed. That's the way it is with 99% of people in the biz. You don't celebrate until after you've got the paychecks. Most don't get them, at least not very long.

originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Well, course, then again, to those who think that, I'd say just don't read the tabloids or the magazines (or skip over the stories if they want to read other parts of the magazines).

Even so, you can't avoid celebrity gossip. People at work will talk about it, it would be on the radio in between songs, the welcome page on AOL or MSN. It may even be on the nightly news where you're supposed to get more serious news. I think the worst case is the newsstand. I feel like I'm assaulted with all these celebrity magazines with the same person or story on every cover. Its nauseating. I think the only way to avoid this rampant celebrity culture is to become a hermit with no media outlets.

Anywho, my dad's said before that society has a habit of building people, be they famous or not, up-we love to see them get successful, cheer them on, and help those that are famous become famous by buying their albums or watching their movies or reading their books or whatever-and then once they are built up, we tend to start tearing them down for some reason. Doing that, to me, seems kinda stupid when you think about it.

No, I think its the media and the PR firms that really build them up. Media outlets are always looking for ways to sell their newspapers or boost their ratings. Since there's an obsession with celebrities these days, they'll focus much of their publishing or airtime on that. And where do they get their information? From the PR firms, who are trying to promote their clients (the celebrity) by overhyping them or focusing on their personal lives, if there's anything shockworthy. As you're all aware of, the entertainment business is very competitive. It seems as if being successful in it isn't about talent and making wise career choices anymore. Its about media exposure and making wise PR moves.

Most media outlets get their news from PR firms as much as or more so than news wires. PR firms have a lot of influence in what is reported in the news, because the public likes to read about celebrities and seem to go along with all the hype about someone. Media outlets notice this, so they'll report on celebrities as much as possible to get the ratings and sales.

As for the public tearing down someone, I think its because people realize or get sick of the hype, and the PR stunts, and the press releases where someone would talk about their personal lives, and then there's the backlash. Its like the public gets so tired of a celebrity manipulating people into believing they are something worth paying attention to (when chances are they're not) so their albums would sell, their movies would be seen, or simply their names would be in the papers and they would be famous. So, the people retaliate!

And the celebrities I mean are someone like Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie (she could've relied on her talent for her fame, but she'll letting her personal life and her tattoos do the work now), and other people who are more famous for their antics or personal lives than their work.
I do not mean all celebrities, and certainly not Bono.

Pearl said:
As for the public tearing down someone, I think its because people realize or get sick of the hype, and the PR stunts, and the press releases where someone would talk about their personal lives, and then there's the backlash. Its like the public gets so tired of a celebrity manipulating people into believing they are something worth paying attention to (when chances are they're not) so their albums would sell, their movies would be seen, or simply their names would be in the papers and they would be famous. So, the people retaliate!

And the celebrities I mean are someone like Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie (she could've relied on her talent for her fame, but she'll letting her personal life and her tattoos do the work now), and other people who are more famous for their antics or personal lives than their work.
I do not mean all celebrities, and certainly not Bono.

That's how I feel. I poke fun at untalented, overhyped celebrities all the time, and I don't feel guilty about it at all. It's my way of dealing with having to see and hear celebrity gossip everywhere I turn. I admire celebrities whose talent speaks for itself - they aren't the ones I bash.

Jealousy is my answer. Oh, can't resist thinking about how Nelly complains about downloading music, yet he's got enough money to buy us all a nice home. Am I a little jealous of Nelly? Of course I am.

There is an economic component to celebrity. The individual is making more money by being a "celebrity". That additional income comes from the public ability to cheer or jeer the individual.

Bono's shades said:

That's how I feel. I poke fun at untalented, overhyped celebrities all the time, and I don't feel guilty about it at all. It's my way of dealing with having to see and hear celebrity gossip everywhere I turn. I admire celebrities whose talent speaks for itself - they aren't the ones I bash.

And you get to decide who is talented enough to bash or not bash? That is bullshit, there is no excuse for constantly tearing other people down. Yes, they realize that becoming a celebrity means that people will pry into their private lives, but that does not make it right. I sometimes bash people too but I am certainly not proud of it and would not justify it. Granted there are some celebrities that are so removed from the normal realm of humanity that they are just asking for ridicule (Michael Jackson anyone?) but it is cruel to constantly make fun of people like Lindsay Lohan. Maybe she says and does some stupid things, but she is 18! Think about how you would of felt at 18 to be constantly reading about your horrible father, your feud with someone else your age, and the parties that you go to. Show at least a little compassion.

I actually feel bad in a way for girls like Lindsay and Britney and them, because people constantly spread rumors about whether or not they had implants and stuff (what business is it of ours anyway? If they did, okay, if not, okay, it's their body, they can do with it what they please. I don't understand why people care so much about that stuff), and then there's people that make all these judgements about their sex lives based on how they dress and stuff like that (I always find it funny to hear women calling girls like Britney and them "sluts" or "tramps" or "hoes" or whatever...a lot of these women that call other women those names are the same women that get all offended when men use those exact same words to describe women. If it's not okay for men to use those words, why is it okay for women to use them?).

Also, Pearl, I do agree that those things play a major role in people becoming big, but the general public definitely plays a role, too. Managers and PR people can sometimes do a lousy job of promoting an artist or an actor or whatever, and so sometimes the best way for them to get exposure is by having the fans make a big deal out of them, constantly requesting to see their videos on TV or hear their songs on the radio or see them in magazines or whatever. And so they get built up to be something noticeable, and then once they are noticeable, there are people out there that will want to tear them down.

Angela

It is often said that the downside to fame is having people pry into your personal life.
Well, if celebrities don't like having people talking about their privacy, then why are some celebrities so open with their personal lives? In Lindsay Lohan's case, if she doesn't want people to talk about her father, then why is she talking about him in interviews? She does not have to talk about her dad if she doesn't want to; no one has a gun to her head. But,she chooses to discuss him, therefore, giving the public the right to gossip, and even make judgements on her. Some celebrities' attitudes towards people prying into their personal lives contradicts their behaviour towards the press. They talk about their privacy on all the talk shows and to all the magazines, and then complain about people judging them or the media focusing on them. They're the ones giving the public and/or media the ammunition.

Also, Pearl, I do agree that those things play a major role in people becoming big, but the general public definitely plays a role, too. Managers and PR people can sometimes do a lousy job of promoting an artist or an actor or whatever and so sometimes the best way for them to get exposure is by having the fans make a big deal out of them, constantly requesting to see their videos on TV or hear their songs on the radio or see them in magazines or whatever. And so they get built up to be something noticeable, and then once they are noticeable, there are people out there that will want to tear them down

How do they have fans make a big deal about them? Do you mean, they pay people to talk about them, using word-of-mouth in order to get the rest of the public to notice someone?

Last edited:
bsp77 said:
And you get to decide who is talented enough to bash or not bash? That is bullshit, there is no excuse for constantly tearing other people down. Yes, they realize that becoming a celebrity means that people will pry into their private lives, but that does not make it right. I sometimes bash people too but I am certainly not proud of it and would not justify it. Granted there are some celebrities that are so removed from the normal realm of humanity that they are just asking for ridicule (Michael Jackson anyone?) but it is cruel to constantly make fun of people like Lindsay Lohan. Maybe she says and does some stupid things, but she is 18! Think about how you would of felt at 18 to be constantly reading about your horrible father, your feud with someone else your age, and the parties that you go to. Show at least a little compassion.

I'm not the one prying into Lindsay Lohan's private life. I don't give a crap about her private life. I don't care about the private life of any celebrity. If the tabloids and the E channel and everyone stopped reporting on celebrities' private lives, I would be very, very happy. And if you are a professional entertainer, the public has every right to comment on your performance, whether they think it is good or bad. It's not like making fun of some poor kid who goofs up at a recital.

You are right about one thing, though. When the celebrity is a teen like Lindsay, bashing them is a little unfair (although I think the obnoxious stage parents and the big PR machines and whatnot are certainly fair game for bashing). I really wasn't thinking of teens so much when I made my original post. But by all means, feel free to get all self-righteous on me if it makes you happy.

actually, i think Lindsay Lohan deserves everything she gets. sorry -- i'll defend many celebrities to the end, but not her. what i find offensive is the cross-marketing, everyone wanting to be a J-Lo triple threat and sing, dance, and act.

in the end, i blame britney. lindsay is her devil spawn.

Oh, I must admit, I adore a bit of celebrity-bashing. I'm probably one of the world's worst culprits. Call it jealousy, envy, hatred, mirth, frivolity, stupidity or just plain spite - its the best way to cope with the fact that someone with so many more shortcomings than yourself has more money than you will ever hope to accumulate in several lifetimes.

Not a nice answer, I know, but its honest!

Ant.

P.S. - I would just like to say that 'celebrities' like Britney Spears really do bring it on themselves. The relationship between a certain type of celebrity and the media is, I think, quite a complex one. They both use each other at different stages in order to achieve different things, and usually, neither are satisfied.

I don't get envying or admiring people for being rich. Especially since a lot of rich people have or earn far too much money than they deserve. I mean, $30 million for a movie? That's sick!

Personally, I don't even read stuff about most celebrities. I find most of them boring as hell. The ones who aren't boring are the ones I admire, like Bono or Chris Martin or Gwynneth Paltrow, who's an excellent actress. If they want to talk about their babies or whatever to the press, I admit it, I'm a sucker because I think babies are cute. I'm getting a kick out of reading about Chris' and Gwynneth's baby. She's darling, and the proud parents are now bragging that she's into U2. If No-Talent Celebrity X is talking about her midnight wedding, on the other hand, I really couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Pearl said:
How do they have fans make a big deal about them? Do you mean, they pay people to talk about them, using word-of-mouth in order to get the rest of the public to notice someone?

No, no payment involved, and the celebrities don't get involved in this part of it, either. Like I said, if it seems to the fans that their favorite celebrity's managers or PR people aren't doing a good enough job of promoting them, then the fans take it upon themselves to tell people about how great this person is by constantly requesting their songs/videos or flocking to see their movies or watching their shows and then telling their friends to see it and stuff like that.

Angela

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom