Celebrities & Politics: Round 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You're dismissing celebrities due to these out of context quotes, yet you won't acknowledge your own faults in political speech.
Umm... I already apologized for the comment I made when I was a newbie. How else may I kiss your ass?

Quote:
None of us are without fault when it comes to this, but for some reason you want to hang up celebrities.
For "some reason" I shed light on why I might get turned off by Hollywood politics by the use of quotes, and there are many. Nobody has attempted to show which "context" they were in, if you could ever possibly rationalize them in the first place.

Quote:
Your using being new or that it was a long time ago as reasons to not take your quote too seriously, but you don't know the circumstances that these quotes were made. Maybe they were having a bad day and would have otherwise worded it very differently. You don't know. But why reduce them to rubbish and not yourself.
Believe it or not, there are times when I wish I corrected myself or had said/thought differently. I do in fact self-critique, but it goes unannounced. If you'd rather I start an FYM forum devoted to that in itself, go ahead and say so.

Anyways, this is the last time I'm going to say this.

THIS FORUM IS NOT ABOUT ME/OTHER FYMERS. IT IS ABOUT CELEBRITY POLITICS.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Can anyone here really say they were influenced by anything a celebrity has said? We're a pretty good cross section. I've certainly been informed about things I didn't know about by some celebrities, but I doubt it changed my opinion one iota. I might see the inherent wisdom in a celebrity who agrees with my position. But then I see the inherent wisdom of anyone who agrees with my postion.

They do no harm; sometimes they do some good.
on this particular part. Very well said-that sums up what I was trying to say earlier quite well .

Angela

Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Umm... I already apologized for the comment I made when I was a newbie. How else may I kiss your ass?
I'm not asking for an apology or having my ass kissed. I'm just wondering why you hold a different standard for your speech and others? You're calling out people for doing something that you yourself do. I don't see why you can't understand this.

Quote:

For "some reason" I shed light on why I might get turned off by Hollywood politics by the use of quotes, and there are many. Nobody has attempted to show which "context" they were in, if you could ever possibly rationalize them in the first place.
I don't feel the need to rationalize them. If we debated each and every quote we'd be here for a month. You brought the quotes up therefore the burden of context lies on you. Honestly I can care less about the quotes.

I honestly don't think you like "Hollywood politics" because you don't agree with them not because they are celebrities.

Quote:

Believe it or not, there are times when I wish I corrected myself or had said/thought differently. I do in fact self-critique, but it goes unannounced. If you'd rather I start an FYM forum devoted to that in itself, go ahead and say so.
Ummm NO. We all have those times even celebrities.

Quote:

THIS FORUM IS NOT ABOUT ME/OTHER FYMERS. IT IS ABOUT CELEBRITY POLITICS.
Ok, then I guess you really haven't done a good job explaining why celebrities talking about politics is any different than us talking about politics.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
I'm just wondering why you hold a different standard for your speech and others? You're calling out people for doing something that you yourself do. I don't see why you can't understand this.
Comments related to political subjects I say and post go under questioning, as they should. Comments others make on here also go under questioning, as they should. Celebrity comments are no different. Every position deserves to be questioned, and there should be no shame in testing its reason.

Quote:
I honestly don't think you like "Hollywood politics" because you don't agree with them not because they are celebrities.
My disagreement undoubtedly plays a role in it. However, when I compare their logic to the logic of a well-researched person who disagrees with me, I see a notorious difference. As I said earlier though, there's a few diamonds in the rough, and some are well-informed on certain issues. I just don't put them onto a pedestal just because they tell the public who to vote for, whether or not I agree with it.