CBS apologizes for interrupting CSI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
CBS NEWS interrupted the final minutes of Wednesday night's episode of CSI:  NEW YORK in order to air a special report about the death of Yasser Arafat.    CBS has apologized and says it will rebroadcast the episode, in its entirety FRIDAY at 9PM CENTRAL TIME.

"An overly aggressive CBS News producer jumped the gun with a report that should have been offered to local stations for their late news. We sincerely regret the error. The episode of CSI: NEW YORK will be rebroadcast Friday, Nov. 12."

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=2552931&nav=0RY4T1L7

i hope you all will find the humor in this too. :up:

U2democrat said:
wow that's...........wow.

so CSI is more important than arafat's death? i see how it is.

VERY amusing.

Yeah, I don't see anything to apologize about. Is CSI were even good, there might be something to talk about, but....

U2democrat said:
wow that's...........wow.

so CSI is more important than arafat's death? i see how it is.

VERY amusing.

Considering that networks frequently skip presidential news conferences in favor of entertainment programming, the relevance of this newsbreak seems awfully insignificant in the US by comparison.

Considering Arafat's funeral was already being planned, news of his actual death wasn't all that shocking. It could easily have been held a couple more minutes until the break.

It's not so much that CSI is more important, it's just that breaking into regular programming with fairly mundane information (and face it, we all knew he was at death's door) dilutes the power of any future newsbreaks. So it's not a huge deal, but it was a stupid thing to do.

verte76 said:
This country's media is in really sorry shape. Show biz is more important than Yasser Arafat's death? God help us.

Evaluate, from the perspective of commercial media, how Yasser Arafat's death is more important than CSI.

nbcrusader said:

Considering that networks frequently skip presidential news conferences in favor of entertainment programming,

given the way bush runs them, you're talking about two entertainment options.

kobayashi said:

given the way bush runs them, you're talking about two entertainment options.
Not exactly sure how you figure that Bush controls the media, when 89% of it is liberal.

Macfistowannabe said:
Not exactly sure how you figure that Bush controls the media, when 89% of it is liberal.

if that is your belief that is fine. my post is in direct reference to his press conferences, which are a loose approximation of the term.

Listen, let's stop pointing fingers at the media or forming conspiracy theories about who's running it. Because in the end, the fact is that the liberal media makes the bulk of its decisions based on what it thinks we, the general public, will approve of. If they are playing their hand like CSI is more important than Arafat's death, it's only because they are confident that there are enough ignorant people in this country that would perfer to watch CSI over a report about Arafat's death. So instead of pointing fingers at reporters or the president or whoever, perhaps we should be pointing fingers at ourselves.

did anyone see Daily Show tonight? Their moment of zen was an anchor on the local news here in NYC apologizing that because of the Arafat stuff, their report on face lifts would have to wait until tomorrow. And this guy was totally serious. stupid morons.

As for the "liberal media", not every member of the media is liberal. In the end, it balances out. If the reporters lean liberals, the editors, producers and owners lean conservative. And frankly, when you talking liberal/conservative you are talking more about a paper's editorial board than its coverage. Believe me, if anyone walked around a newsroom and actually talked to reporters, you would find that the general public makes a much bigger deal about the so-called liberal media than should be given to it.

No Laughing Matter

CBS Axes Producer for Arafat Cut-In

CBS News has axed a news producer who cut into prime-time programming Wednesday night to report the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

The staffer, a female senior producer for CBS’s overnight newscast Up to the Minute, broke in to CSI: N.Y. shortly before 11 p.m. with the report, outraging viewers who missed the end of the crime drama.

CBS apologized for the interruption Thursday, saying an “overly aggressive” staffer “jumped the gun on a report that should have been offered to local stations for their late news.”

As for the producer’s dismissal, a CBS spokesperson said Friday, “We do not comment on personnel issues.” CBS planned to repeat the CSI: N.Y. episode Friday night to placate viewers.

If you'd wasted nine tenths of an hour watching CSI only to have the conclusion chopped off you'd be pissed off too. What is CSI anyways?

Crime Scene Investigation... there are three versions of CSI: the original, named simply CSI:, set in Las Vegas, is on thursday nights. it's the #1 show on american television, ratings wise. CSI: Miami is on monday nights, and CSI: New York, new this season, is on wednesday nights... CSI: New York was the show that was interrupted.

the main reason why the CSI brand is popular is because of the mystery involved... they spend the entire show attempting to figure out who committed a murder or other crime, and it's normaly not until the final 10 minutes of the show where you find out who, indeed, done it. often there's some sort of last scene twist and someone you didn't expect ends up being the killer.

thus why millions of people were pissed that they couldn't wait 5 minutes to tell them news that anyone who cared knew was inevitable, anyways.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_ny/

Well, yeah, I can see their point. They could have waited for five minutes with news that was not exactly shocking. If it had been a terrorist attack or whatever that would have been different.

So CBS fires some flunky for this but they keep Mapes and Rather when they used fabricated documents to tip a presidential election - give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom