CBC Sunday Night will never gain viewership in southern states - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Let's see. Plenty of people in the US did have a conniption about nipple during the Superbowl, curse words in a 9/11 documentary and Saving Private Ryan, FCC taking considerable note of Bono saying Fuck on some awards show as well as other self-censorship on what is seen as offensive or traumatizing. We've had plenty of threads on "controversial" TV content, although I certainly disagree with Trevster on subject content. There is a certain different freedom in Canadian TV that I enjoy when I'm there. I think when we have many ridiculous controversies, it colors the way we are looked at.
this is what I was thinking

and the most complaints

do come from the bible belters

Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Well on the flip side there is no way that no one in Canada has objections to what is on tv there, just as many people in the US don't care about a nipple or a swear word in a 9/11 documentary. You just can't confuse and comingle the issues and agendas of certain groups with the mentality of a country as a whole, or any region of the country as a whole. That's stereotyping.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
You just can't confuse and comingle the issues and agendas of certain groups with the mentality of a country as a whole, or any region of the country as a whole. That's stereotyping.

indeed.

especially when there are more Californians than Canadians.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Agreed, Mrs. S.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
especially when there are more Californians than Canadians.
Oh, and we will take over.

Just as soon as we put down our joints.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
it didn't come across as a joke
It didn't?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Oh, and we will take over.

Just as soon as we put down our joints.

oooh, look at me, i'm scared!

as if you can't spot a Californian coming from a mile away ...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:10 AM
And that's dangerous considering the recent successes of Canadian snipers.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I totally thought it came across as a joke, so I'm with indra on this one.

Although there is a huge and stark difference between CBC news and any of the US networks. I'm not even talking about Fox, but NBC, CBS, CNN, etc. The CBC is very much like the BBC, and completely different than the news seen in the US. I watch hours of news a day and I have all the US cable news channels as well as the Canadian ones and the BBC (and BBC world) and there is an enormous, obvious difference in both the delivery and the content.

That's not a judgment of the countries mentioned, but it is a commentary on their news media.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
She's the One

Quote:
as if you can't spot a Californian coming from a mile away ...
The guy in the jewelry store we went to after we had lunch with you tagged us as Californians the second we walked into the store.

We'll never take over now.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I totally thought it came across as a joke, so I'm with indra on this one.

Although there is a huge and stark difference between CBC news and any of the US networks. I'm not even talking about Fox, but NBC, CBS, CNN, etc. The CBC is very much like the BBC, and completely different than the news seen in the US. I watch hours of news a day and I have all the US cable news channels as well as the Canadian ones and the BBC (and BBC world) and there is an enormous, obvious difference in both the delivery and the content.

That's not a judgment of the countries mentioned, but it is a commentary on their news media.
I would think PBS would make for a better analogy there as it's our only national public/nonprofit network, although the way the shows are produced and distributed is quite different. It certainly has a different 'feel' from the other major networks; I wouldn't say it's 'just like' public television anywhere else or anything, though--not really familiar with enough others to make a comparison like that anyhow, and since I don't have a TV at this point I couldn't tell you what the state of PBS news coverage specifically is currently like.

To the extent that the joke was that the programming isn't in fact anything cutting-edge, I 'got' that part, but the implications of "will never gain viewership in the southern states" coupled with some of the responses to it didn't clearly read that way to me. But to be fair, that's a bit of a sore spot with me because the fact is that if you've got a pronounced Southern accent and you fail to perform precisely as expected in some social situation or another, there are those who will automatically attribute it to your 'Southern' stupidity/social backwardness/lack of cultural refinement. And I've more than once seen objections to that kind of thing earnestly responded to with, "Well but that's because it's true", including in here, and those kinds of assumptions do have consequences. Like I said though, I'm willing to accept it was just a joke, no biggie.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

The guy in the jewelry store we went to after we had lunch with you tagged us as Californians the second we walked into the store.

We'll never take over now.

yes, Memphis often asks whatever has become of "those hippies we had brunch with."

and not to worry -- i'm sure my east coast uptightness and general suspiciousness about everyone and their motives would get me called out in a californian medicinal marijuana store.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

But to be fair, that's a bit of a sore spot with me because the fact is that if you've got a pronounced Southern accent and you fail to perform precisely as expected in some social situation or another, there are those who will automatically attribute it to your 'Southern' stupidity/social backwardness/lack of cultural refinement. And I've more than once seen objections to that kind of thing earnestly responded to with, "Well but that's because it's true", including in here, and those kinds of assumptions do have consequences. Like I said though, I'm willing to accept it was just a joke, no biggie.
And a lot of times those comments, including the ones made in here, come from people who have spent little or no time in the US, let alone the southern US, and whose perceptions are in some part based on post tornado news coverage.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:
Memphis
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by medmo

And a lot of times those comments, including the ones made in here, come from people who have spent little or no time in the US, let alone the southern US, and whose perceptions are in some part based on post tornado news coverage.

^

it's totally true, and i'm totally guilty of stereotyping the south, and i do find myself prejudging someone with a southern accent -- where having very long vowels = belief in Creationism.

however, having met some real Southerners, i've been both amazed at the truth of some of the stereotypes --whether it's the basic decency, manners, and hospitality, or the know-nothing religiosity, i have seen truth to each and every stereotype. and seen them subverted right before my eyes.