Caucasian Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pub crawler said:
Once again, as with other discussions about race/ethnicity that have taken place in FYM, if we are unwilling to discuss the issue of balance of power among racial/ethnic groups, then we are not having an honest debate.

When we can have a female, black, or gay president--or all of the above--then maybe we can have this discussion. As it stands, the balance of power is still very much in the hands of straight white Christian males.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
It sure as hell is implied in the statement.

How do you figure? The whole argument here is that the reason for minority groups is that they are minorities, the power is unbalanced. Straight white men have the balance tipped their way, can you not see that? But he didn't state that made them racist. Straight white men have the power balance in their favor, they should use this in order to make the playing field more balanced. If they use this power to stregthen this unbalance i.e. creating a "Caucasion Club" then yes that would be considered racist.

No, the statement was we are incapable of having an "honest debate"

Even your own statement has an element of "you're a racist, prove me wrong" by stating that "straight white men" have "power" and must use their "power" to create a balanced playing field. If this doesn't happen, then it must be the misuse of power by the "straight white men".

A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype.

Discrimination doesnt get resolved until it is resolved in the heart.

nbcrusader said:

Even your own statement has an element of "you're a racist, prove me wrong" ...

See, this is where I have a real disconnect. Nobody is accusing anybody of being a racist. At least I'm not. Are we allowed to debate differences of opinion over racial matters without being accused of labeling anyone who disagrees with us a racist?

Back to the discussion at hand....

nb, do you disagree with the notion that white males hold the balance of power in America?

nbcrusader said:
No, the statement was we are incapable of having an "honest debate"

Even your own statement has an element of "you're a racist, prove me wrong" by stating that "straight white men" have "power" and must use their "power" to create a balanced playing field. If this doesn't happen, then it must be the misuse of power by the "straight white men".

A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype.

Discrimination doesnt get resolved until it is resolved in the heart.

I never stated "you're a racist, prove me wrong." There is a tip in the scales when it comes to the balance of power. Take a look at every CEO, politician, look at our upper education system, etc. and you'll see that women, black, hispanic, asians, gays, handicapped, etc. are overwhelmingly out numbered by "straight white men." How is this a stereotype? Now if one chooses to ignore this fact then yes, we can't have an honest debate.

I happen to be a straight white male, am I racist? No. Do I feel guilty? No. But I do understand the inequalities in this nation and because I understand that, I could never support a Caucasion Club because that would even further the inequalities.

nbcrusader said:

Is racism stricly a numbers game? If every institution or sub-section of society doesn't match the percentages of the community - it must be attributable to racism?

Isn't this a country that's built on representation?

Does anyone actually want to seriously suggest that black people, women and gay people are the powerful groups in society? :rolleyes: (Since everyone else is :rolleyes:ing) Melon didn't call anyone a racist, but simply stated a fact, that white straight males are the most powerful group in society.

melon said:
... The only reason "white clubs" seem to exist, however, is to put down minorities, so, yes, that's probably why the NAACP has worries--not so much about the girl who wants to start the group, but for the white supremacist groups that do exist to take advantage of such a situation. And, yes, it probably would happen...
Isn't that being a little predjudice? It's like me saying "oh, it's most likely that black man will steal that!"
How many whites have had to put up with a "racist" label loitering near them, ready to pounce on them when they say or do one thing wrong, not intensional... Was it our faults?? Mostly not, I'd say most of racism from a white mans point of view, has come from the past, and it has come to haunt us and labelled us.

I hope I make sence.

U2NZ you bring up a good point I think, about the age of some of the problems. It gets dificult to find the right ground to discuss it on as the gripes certain groups have are so valid. Some of the original problems have survived to rear their ugly heads to this day still. So where do we draw the line? The racism that still exists in some ways is straight from the days of old from generations long passed on. I'm only speaking for my own country, but we need to resolve the past before we can proceed to the future.

Back
Top Bottom