Caucasian Club - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2003, 12:04 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

As a teacher, who tries very hard to teach about equality in the classroom I find that there is a double standard here.

Why when someone wants to form a "caucasian group" is that considered a step towards segregation? The other groups have already segregated themselves with their groups! Why is it alright for other groups to segregate themselves and not "caucasians"?

See, I do not like groups based on this in either direction. White/caucasian people are not the majority in the world, nor will they be in the United States within the next twentry years.
It could be concieved as a double standard. Though I think minority clubs have their place as long as that minority doesn't have the same political voice as the white majority (whether that majority be in numbers or in power). Though minority clubs ought to admit people of all races. Men march in solidarity with women and heterosexuals march in solidarity with homosexuals, so why can't whites and blacks join an asian minority group?

No, white people aren't the majority in the world, but I think this is about the struggle in America. And white people may not be the majority in twenty years, but that may not change the power dynamic. The people who occupy positions of power don't represent a cross section of the American population. Most postions (corporate and political) still belong to white men.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:04 PM
all i'm gonna say is that "white clubs" don't exactly have the best track record

Old 09-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat
Though minority clubs ought to admit people of all races. Men march in solidarity with women and heterosexuals march in solidarity with homosexuals, so why can't whites and blacks join an asian minority group?
Well, when communities like that are formed they're often formed for the purpose of people being among their own ethnic group. So being all-inclusive would defeat the minority club's very purpose, from that perspective.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
all i'm gonna say is that "white clubs" don't exactly have the best track record
I have to agree with this. Can I join in somewhere else?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

White clubs don't make sense, merely because whites, in general, don't seemingly have a unified identity, preferring, rather, to be Irish or Italian or British or French or (insert White nationality here). The only reason "white clubs" seem to exist, however, is to put down minorities, so, yes, that's probably why the NAACP has worries--not so much about the girl who wants to start the group, but for the white supremacist groups that do exist to take advantage of such a situation. And, yes, it probably would happen.

Melon
Old 09-20-2003, 11:23 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
I hate how minority groups are entitled to everything these days simply because they are born as a minority. I think that along the way someone for got what equality really means, everyone on a level playing field, everyone with the same opportunities. I hate how a minority group can get away with something that, if a white person were to try it it would be "racist".
Do you see a level playing field? I don't, I still think we're far from it. Minority groups are there to try to create unity and solve this problem, granted some of them don't go about it the right way. But there's absolutely no reason for a "caucasion group" in this day and time. What the hell would be there objective? Could you tell me how they would better the cause of equality?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:15 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

Well, when communities like that are formed they're often formed for the purpose of people being among their own ethnic group. So being all-inclusive would defeat the minority club's very purpose, from that perspective.
Looking at it that way, I suppose you have a point. It still irks though, that members of other ethnic groups can't join? It's an excellent opportunity to teach and educate about different customs and beliefs.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:34 PM   #23
Refugee

<rant>Well coming from Scarborough, Ontario (aka S., SARSborough, Scarblackistan, Scarlanka, etc) I am unsure of what a minority is anymore. I get on the bus to go to school and 90% of the people are non-white. You look at the graduating classes in the schools here and baing white seems to be the minority. Walking down main streets half the signs arent even in english. I can understand having a translation to another language but I thikn english should be included. People of religions such as Islam, Muslim, Hinduism, etc are allowed to get a room during lunch and other times to pray at their holidays. They get excused on their religious holidays and arent just put down as skippers.
I have no problem with this.
My problem is when My friends and I have to get extra special permission to use a room for our Metaphysics club. They at first wouldnt let us use a room. Saying we had no reason to use it. Then they saw what happened when we hads our meetings in the halls. Apparently a few students got offended one day when we were meditating. And they got offended by our energy circle. Last May I had to attend school on Beltaine. I was willing to go to school but I explained to my band teacher that Beltaine is a religious holiday for me and I would like to be excused from the last 30 min of rehearsal to go spend time in the woods discussing the history of Beltaine and having other religious decussions and practising traditions of Beltaine. She wouldnt let me go. Yet a few months back she let a few kids out of rehearsal for another religious holiday. Doesnt seem fair. That rehearsal the other kids missed was actually an important one before a festival. Ours wasnt.

I went off a little their. My point is, people are sticking to traditional minority groups when new minority groups have formed. If you look close enough everyone is a minority somehow. Just because I have light skin like someone from Poland does not make me Polish. ( I have nothing against Polish people-just an example)

I am just fed up with having to tip-toe around life trying to be "sensitive" to so-called minority groups when I, myself am treated like outright crap sometimes because of my religion. I guess its a mainstream thing. If you are in a mainstream minority, you get minority "rights", but if you are in a minority that is so small people barely know you exist then such rights dont exist.
</rant>

Yes that was me ranting. I havent posted in a while. School is tiring. Just got back from Band camp too. heh.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
DaveC unless you were born and branded as a minority you will never understand some of the struggles one has being a minority. in a perfect world we would all live as one and not have a problem w/ people because of their skin color or heritage. but that is a fantasy and does not exist in any real world.

I call myself Mexican-American because most of my background is from Mexico. do i speak spanish? no. i tell people that i am mexican-american because it is a way to identify myself. i also state that i also have German, English, Irish, Spanish and Arab blood. so as you can see my makeup is well diverse. i have no problem calling anyone asian-american, african-american, native-american etc. i also have no problem w/ people setting up clubs to be w/ those with common backgrounds to help better themselves in their community and that is what most of the clubs are about.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #25
War Child

I get real angry when Minority groups get all uppity!!
They are racist ones most of time these days!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 AM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:04 PM
"Uppity" is a very unflattering and usually racist term. Please avoid using it. Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Racial politics sometimes means using racism to your advantage.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:45 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
I am just fed up with having to tip-toe around life trying to be "sensitive" to so-called minority groups when I, myself am treated like outright crap sometimes because of my religion. I guess its a mainstream thing. If you are in a mainstream minority, you get minority "rights", but if you are in a minority that is so small people barely know you exist then such rights dont exist.
But isn't that the point of this whole discussion? You can be a minority in today's society based on many different factors. This is the point of minority groups, to try and raise awareness, to gain a voice. These other "mainstream" minorities had to deal with the same issues. Black people wouldn't have any rights if it wasn't for the whole Civil Rights movement. Everyone at some point in their life has this problem. When you're young you try to get your voice heard over the many adults surrounding you. When you're surrounded by people who don't believe the same way you do, you try and get your point across. Some people have it worse than others. Unfortunately it's human nature to try and silence those who are different than you. People speak about diversity and unity, but many are really saying they wouldn't mind as long as it doesn't get in their way while they are on the move to the top.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #29
New Yorker

The main thing you have to realize is that these minority clubs are not minority based on color of skin but rather ethnic background. Asian Americans are from Asia, African Americans are from Africa. I would support this girl if she was creating a new group based on ethnicity -- such as an Irish Students Group or Italian Students Group -- but to base it simply on skin color is not right.

Remember that not all blacks are from Africa, many different races are represented by Latino Americans and there are lots of variations in skin tones among every race.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:13 AM   #30
War Child

Sorry Pax, I won't use that term again... Some groups just seem to have an ignorance to them where they only care for their own.
They don't care about or associate with other types of people.
I think that is very sad. That is a type of racist thing to do.
In Australia the minority groups are'nt quite as out there as say some American groups are from I've seen from afar. Some of em stick togethor and don't complain so much, unfortunately this is often the result of alcohol abuse... they just spend their money on grog and do nothing else.

Some European groups living in Sydney are real serial pests.. They have crime rings all over and start major brawls at the end of Fooball games. They have no concern for other people.