Catholicism : unbiblical? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #16
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Speaking of marriage and priesthood, I saw a fascinating documentary on HBO called "Celibacy" that dealt with the Catholic church and it's dated (and often dangerous) views regarding sexuality and celibacy. It was extremely well done and as a Catholic myself it was definitely an eye opener.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Speaking of marriage and priesthood, I saw a fascinating documentary on HBO called "Celibacy" that dealt with the Catholic church and it's dated (and often dangerous) views regarding sexuality and celibacy. It was extremely well done and as a Catholic myself it was definitely an eye opener.
Yes, I'm familiar with some of the, uh, more extreme teachings about sexuality and celibacy.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:46 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 PM
There are many things with Catholicism I take issue.

But I agree with one - the Bible is not the final authority.

Also, you do not worship statues or the Saints, you pray to them to interject on your behalf. If that is unbiblical, then so should it be when you ask your friends and family to pray for you.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Also, you do not worship statues or the Saints, you pray to them to interject on your behalf. If that is unbiblical, then so should it be when you ask your friends and family to pray for you.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:50 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Really the great thing about the Catholic Church is that it not only can, but will, survive the collapse of the diseased organ in Rome known as the Official Roman Catholic Church.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Priests were allowed to marry until the Middle Ages. That changed when the children of the priests began to fight over who would inherit the land of the monasteries, and to stop the controversy, the Church forbid priests to marry so there wouldn't be any offspring to claim the land.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 PM
You're quite right, priests were allowed to marry until the twelfth century, when the Third Lateran Council (I think I have my council names right there, I know it wasn't Fourth Lateran) forbade priests to marry. They did this to stop corruption in the church. There was a problem with offices in the church and such becoming hereditary. This was not cool, it caused alot of problems. That being said clerical celibacy has its own problems. The way I look at it any human institution, and the Church is definitely a human institution, is imperfect. We'd still have problems if priests were allowed to marry. Perhaps sexual abuse would go away. This is very important to me. I have been in an abusive relationship, and trust me, it's hell. This stuff has got to be stopped.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
It seems that there is a difference between praying to a dead person to interject on your behalf and asking a living person to pray to God on your behalf.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #24
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

But don't all Christians believe that the faithful departed have eternal life with Christ? (I'm not being snarky; if one believes in eternal life with Christ, then it should stand to reason that asking the saints to pray for you is just as valid as asking living people.)

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:37 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Well, saints = all believers in heaven

We are told to pray for each other. And, we are told to pray in Jesus' name.

I can't recall anything in Scripture that says we have the ability to communicate with those in heaven other than God Himself.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Well, saints = all believers in heaven

I think it's pretty obvious that in this discussion, people are referring to those who have been canonized by the Catholic church as saints via a formal process.

I think non-Catholics have a lot of misconceptions about the saints. Perhaps if they better understood how saints fit into the scheme of things in the Catholic church, they wouldn't see it as such a strange, even sinful, thing.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I can't recall any SOLID evidence that there is a trinity either. Does that mean it is not true?