Catholic Bishop US formula = Caligula of Rome - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Anthony

I'm against the other type of fear religion has engineered throughout the ages. I'm referring to the type of fear that the Church prescribres when a person chooses to divorce, or, if one were to be strict, even have protected sex. It is this fear that we must constantly adhere to religion, or otherwise taste the fires of hell, that I find inconceivable.

I agree

Old 05-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #17
Local Time: 10:39 PM
"I guess what you are describing is our reaction to our own sin. What should we do? As a believer in Jesus Christ, we will not taste the fires of Hell as we are under Grace. God himself gives us this assurance."

Very true, nbcrusader, and I also agree; I do not fear Hell any more than you do (but for an altogether different reason, I'm afraid), and I do believe in Jesus Christ and His Grace. I have so much faith in Him that it was almost large enough to eclipse my other issues concerning the Church, and hence, for years I wanted to become a priest, just so that I could help spread God's Grace, but alas, I would have been an appalling priest.

I do believe in us, as effective Christians (and as Human beings, it follows), accounting for our own sins, and yes we must be able to take this account before God - and we will, I believe. How we do that is an altogether different issue, and one that is undecided for me as an individual. And yet, when I do so, I will do it because I want to, because I love God and do not wish to disappoint It, not out of fear of the consequences of not bending towards a will of which I do not feel I am part (which is not what I personally feel, however, I cannot speak for everyone).

I was raised to love my parents, and I obeyed out of love and respect. Out of fear, yes, but out of fear that I would disappoint and hurt them. Seeing disappointment on their faces was more hurtful than any promise of punishment.

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'