Carson Kressley's Children's Book - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:24 AM
Carson Kressley's Children's Book

Has anyone read this/looked at it in the bookstore? I love him. I miss that Queer Eye show, I haven't seen it in ages. I wonder if anyone will object to kids reading this book by an openly gay author, if they do well I think that's pathetic.

The 1987 graduate of Northwestern Lehigh High School has recently unveiled yet another facet of his personality. He's a children's book author.

''You're Different and That's Super,'' published by Simon & Schuster, hit the bookstores this month. It's Kressley's way of letting children know it's OK not to be like everybody else.

It's at least partly autobiographical, Kressley says.

As an adolescent, knowing he was gay and not feeling able to share it with others left him feeling very alone, he has said. It's also what honed his considerable skill at being a class cut-up.

He points out that members of other minorities can have an easier time than gays.

''If you're Latino and people are making fun of you at school, at least you can come home and be with a house full of other Latinos.

''But if you're gay, you're still different a home,'' he says.

Kressley is involved with the Trevor Project, a California-based suicide prevention hotline and program for teens named for the 1994 film, ''Trevor,'' about a 13-year-old boy who tries to kill himself because of his sexuality. The 18-minute film won an Academy Award the following year for Best Live Action Short Film.

''Gay teens are three times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers,'' he says, citing but one of the many facts that run in a continuous loop on .

Old 11-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
New Yorker
Local Time: 10:24 PM
I'm always a little skeptical of celebrities writing children's books and I haven't seen his, but I give him a for doing it. He has a message to share and a goal in writing it. I'd like to see it.

I knew a little boy, too old for the book now though, who would have LOVED it. He had a real thing for unicorns...and wedding dresses. I had to intercede a few times when kids were picking on him for his wedding attire. I certainly hope he's all right.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:24 AM
Re: Carson Kressley's Children's Book

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I wonder if anyone will object to kids reading this book by an openly gay author, if they do well I think that's pathetic.

Damn straight someone will whine about it (pun intended ).

I mean, come on, how dare "different" people think they are all right?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:24 PM
I read that article in the local newspaper...the one cited in your post. There is a weekly article about Carson (local guy makes it big).

I think it would be an interesting read...a nice approach.