Capitalism 'causes natural disasters'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
VENEZUELAN President Hugo Chavez has blamed global capitalism for earthquakes hitting India, Pakistan and Afghanistan as well as for mudslides that have struck Central America and Mexico.
On his weekly radio and television call-in program, "Hello, Mr. President," Mr Chavez said these catastrophes were nature's answer to the "world global capitalist model".

"This model is destroying the world. The world is in danger. Never has there been such disasters, hurricanes, droughts, torrential rains. Incredible! The world is dangerously off balance," he said.

Earlier yesterday, US television evangelist Pat Robertson, who caused ripples weeks ago calling for Mr Chavez' assassination, said the natural disasters pointed to the end of the world and the imminent return of Jesus Christ.

"These things are starting to hit with amazing regularity," Mr Robertson told CNN, remarking on the coincidence of a major earthquake that killed thousands in Asia on Saturday and recent killer hurricanes slamming the US.

Those disasters come less than a year after a huge tsunami levelled huge portions of South Asia, killing more than 20,000 people and leaving a million homeless.

Advertisement:
Mr Chavez said he had prayed for those lost and injured.
link

Indirectly, of course, the connection makes some sense. Nobody will think that a tsunami is created directly by capitalism (how could it be), but put this into context.

With more and more (over-)production, there is more pollution. Nobody will deny that lots of additional pollution was created with the start of the industrial revolution. And nobody, except of a few notable "experts" maybe, will deny that pollution causes the environment to react. Arguably also the society of waste we live in doesn´t have a positive effect.

That said, other (political) systems were destroying nature just as much; I don´t think the USSR had filters in every coal mine etc., and I doubt communist leaders cared a lot about environmental problems.

Wow, maybe now Pat Robertson will resconsider his plan to assassinate Chavez, as they agree on stuff, and stuff. Praise Jesus!

Fuck, that should be 'reconsider'. LOL I know how those damn typos affect my credibility here! What can I say, I'm a drunk.

Good times!

Everything may be possible, but no tsunami, which follows a seaquake, and no earthquake could ever have been caused by capitalism, neither directly nor indirectly.

It's is not the capitalism that causes global warming and natural disasters. It's the industry, and it doesn't matter whether there is capitalism or communism.

But quakes are caused by the nature only.

I've always considered Chavez a bit off the wall. For natural disasters, there was the Black Death in the Middle Ages, a hell of alot worse than any hurricane as it wiped out half of Europe in three years. That happened when feudalism was falling apart and capitalism was rising.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

Too expensive

it will more than pay for itself with all the $$$ you'll save on gas.

and take heart that you're helping to make SoCal's skies just that little bit less smoggy.

nbcrusader said:
:angry: still waiting for my cheaper gas.

longing for those Clinton days again?

you may have a chance to vote out corruption in 08
and bring true "honor" to the Whitehouse again:wink:

first of all... chavez is nut... maybe he's right (without knowing it , thank God) saying that capitalism contributes to contamination but he's in a stupid battle against USA and the capitalist countries, and he's ignoring the real problems of venezuela, leading that blind, blah blah, war.

I think this, if luxux hotels wouldn't have been built by multinationals 1 meter before the shore in Indonesia, maybe a few hundreds people wouldn't have died.........................in this sense, Capitalism caused a natural disaster....................

The natural disaster, the seaquake, wasn't caused by the hotels, only the human desaster, the thousands that were killed.

Capitalism or not, the Earth, being a master of self-preservation, will always adapt to changing conditions. If the ice caps melt, the mass infusion of cold fresh water into the warm salt water of the Atlantic Ocean will probably choke the Gulf Stream and repeat the conditions of the 1000 year "Younger Dryas" 12,000 years ago.

In short, expect "global warming" to be followed up by a 1000 year Ice Age (the time it would take to recreate the Gulf Stream). While the whole world would be affected by such a major climate change, the main "victims" would be those who currently benefit the most from the warming effects of the Gulf Stream--Europe. Much of the continent will become as uninhabitable as Northern Canada.

Melon

One thing is for sure, mankind will not see the end of the earth.
At the moment, we are setting our own end.

melon said:
Capitalism or not, the Earth, being a master of self-preservation, will always adapt to changing conditions. If the ice caps melt, the mass infusion of cold fresh water into the warm salt water of the Atlantic Ocean will probably choke the Gulf Stream and repeat the conditions of the 1000 year "Younger Dryas" 12,000 years ago.

Sounds like a natural cycle to me.

nbcrusader said:
Sounds like a natural cycle to me.

It is, to a point. It was previously expected that we'd enter a new Ice Age around the year 3500. But there's a good chance that man has merely accelerated the process. Now it's expected that the Arctic ice cap will melt completely by the year 2100, meaning our 1000 year Ice Age shall be coming a lot sooner than nature intended.

But, whether weather cycles are created by nature or by man, the Earth is a ball of science like everything else, and science does have coping methods that will prevent us from "global warming" into 700 degree temperatures like on Venus.

Melon

Muggsy said:
first of all... chavez is nut... maybe he's right (without knowing it , thank God) saying that capitalism contributes to contamination but he's in a stupid battle against USA and the capitalist countries, and he's ignoring the real problems of venezuela, leading that blind, blah blah, war.

which real problems do you feel chavez is ignoring? after all his government, since being democratically elected, has provided such vital services as healthcare and education to people who had previously never seen a doctor or the inside of a classroom. i think extreme poverty, illiteracy and poor health were significant problems in venezuela and chavez has done more than any previous venezuelan government to tackle them. so what in your view are the real problems being ignored?

Vincent Vega said:
The natural disaster, the seaquake, wasn't caused by the hotels, only the human desaster, the thousands that were killed.

Building next to the sea or almost within the sea is a well prelude to death.......................It happens when nature doesn't get respected

Back
Top Bottom