Cannot believe how that American cop acted......!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
wow.......mum and I saw it on the news last night and we were like....:ohmy:

The way that cop slammed that boys head down.........and then had a chain round his neck and went and punched him............jaysus..........

then it showed that footage of the cops beatin up Rodney King again..........

the guy that took the footage said no matter what crime was committed, no-one should be treated that way by the cops.........

Im sure most of u know what Im talkin about..................:confused: - hope so......

it truly was shocking to see................:tsk:

Maddie-
Welcome to our Jungle;).

Seriously-
Perspective is needed here:idea:

Before the event was being recorded..

What did the young fella do to provoke the officer?:adam:
Did he just blow the head off of a 98 yr old woman?
Did he spit in the officer's face?
Perspective.
or
Did the officer not get enough lovin from mama at home..making him a shitty day, or serve bad coffee at the local donut house..?;)

Lets not rush to judgement..

DB9:cool:

Well..the good thing about this incident is that people all over the world saw it...in the old days people in the next town wouldn't have even known about it...it would have been hushed up and a non-issue. The officers wouldn't be suspended...wouldn't even have been investigated...no one would have cared except the black community.

Now people all over see and care...the officer has been suspended and there is an investigation.

Some things are the same...some things have changed.

dream wanderer

diamond said:
my perspective is that he is a policeman
not a judge, neither the executioner

or is my perspective of the justicial (sp.?) system the wrong one?

I have no idea why on earth anyone would want to be an inner-city cop in the United States, if you over-react to a situation you are persecuted, if you under-react you are lying on your back in the morgue

these guys have one of the most dangerous and most difficult jobs in the world, let's get all the facts before we sentence these fellars

diamond said:
Seriously-

Perspective.
or
Did the officer not get enough lovin from mama at home..making him a shitty day, or serve bad coffee at the local donut house..?;)

Perspective - the sixteen year old boy's father had been stopped because his car registration had expired.

The police officer slammed the boy onto a car, punched him in the face and dragged him by a chain he wore around his neck.

Rep. Maxine Waters who represents the city in Congress has stated that she believed the attack to be racially motivated and called on the Attorney General to begin a Justice Department investigation.

I'm curious about what sort of news coverage this event has received in the United States?

The Wanderer said:
these guys have one of the most dangerous and most difficult jobs in the world, let's get all the facts before we sentence these fellars
the fact is that there is video evidence a policeman acted way too roughly

maybe if we know all the fact we would understand why he did it
it can't be condoned though
if there aren't strict boundaries to what you can and what you can't do within the limits of the law then what do we have ???

I do admit that there is no way I would want to be a police officer either

Apparently not the first time this police officer has beaten up a black man who had not been charged with any crime.

joyfulgirl said:
Apparently not the first time this police officer has beaten up a black man who had not been charged with any crime.

Yes, this same officer has also been accused of putting a man in a coma...also under suspicious circumstances. I will bet money that he will be fired and criminal charges will be filed. The people in that area are sick to death of this kind of treatment.

My husband is a former police officer from in that area and dealt with officers from the city of Inglewood on a regular basis. You don't even want to know what I have heard about the treatment of black "suspects".

diamond said:
Maddie-
Welcome to our Jungle;).

Seriously-

Perspective.
or

I hope you were only half serious with this post Diamond...police officers are trained to keep their cool in these kinds of incidents. This was assault under the color of authority.

This was a traffic stop...the kid was simply being a kid, questioning the officer as to why his father was being stopped. Whether he got in the cop's face or not, the cop is supposed to be in control at all times.

Well I stand corrected then:ohmy:
Even if the guy had bad coffee at the donut house:huh:
This was inexcusable..:(

DB9
:idea:

Bono's American Wife said:
This was a traffic stop...the kid was simply being a kid, questioning the officer as to why his father was being stopped. Whether he got in the cop's face or not, the cop is supposed to be in control at all times.

yeah. although when they showed it here, they did point out that he had a huge scratch on the side of his face, which may have been from them throwing the first punch. however, the father and son maintain that they didn't attack him or anything, and the video doesn't show when they first got pulled over. so i think they're innocent until proven guilty. :)

Umm.
CNN just reported that the 16 yr old feller lunged at the officer prior to the taping.:(
I dunno Im kinda w Khan and Wanderer here.

Cant judge things by a video clip of a few seconds...:l
And remember its not like- the police indiscriminately beat the shit outta him for 20 mins.. he got pushed down hard on the back of a hood folks..for a second or 2 settle down.:bono:
He'll recover:huh:

The boy on the video was handcuffed when they beat him up. Whatever it was he did, the boy didn't pose a threat to anyone.

DrTeeth said:
The boy on the video was handcuffed when they beat him up.
if that's true, then the police department really does have some explaining to do. for the cop to fight back is one thing, but for him to handcuff the kid and then start attacking is another thing.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Rep. Maxine Waters who represents the city in Congress has stated that she believed the attack to be racially motivated and called on the Attorney General to begin a Justice Department investigation.

Oh Dear Me.. Maxine Waters stated that.. Frankly, That statement by her holds as much water as if the Reverend Jesse Jackson said it.. She probably made that statement at the NAACP Convention going on at the present moment..

According to these people, EverythinG is Racially Motivated. I'm not championing anything here, but just providing a little bit to the 'perspective' tank here.

L.Unplugged

From CNN.com

Store surveillance tape being checked
The details of what transpired before the video began are in dispute.
Joe Hopkins, an attorney representing Jackson, said Donovan was handcuffed, beaten and dragged on the ground by an 18-inch chain around his neck, which snapped, in the moments before the video begins.

Inglewood police have said Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies pulled over Jackson's car because of expired license plates and that the boy's father, Coby Chavis, also was driving with a suspended license. At some point, police say, the boy lunged at a sheriff's deputy and struck Morse -- a claim the family has denied.

"The juvenile attacked our deputy, which started the scuffle in the first place," Lt. Carl Deeley of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department told CNN's Connie Chung.

Deeley said the deputy tried to put Jackson into his vehicle because he "would not stop interfering" with the traffic stop involving his father.

"The young man lunged at the deputy who then had to grab him and they struggled with each other," Deeley said. "That's when the Inglewood officers came to his aid to help him to handcuff the 16-year-old."

He said that Officer Morse was struck in the head, chest and arm, and that the sheriff's deputy injured his back and sprained a wrist.

The sheriff's department has sent surveillance video from the convenience store to their crime lab to get a better idea of what happened. The surveillance video, which has not been released publicly, utilizes 10 different cameras monitoring the store grounds.

"Hopefully, it will add some information," Deeley said. "There's been quite a few charges that'll probably be cleared up."

KhanadaRhodes said:

if that's true, then the police department really does have some explaining to do. for the cop to fight back is one thing, but for him to handcuff the kid and then start attacking is another thing.

exactly, its like tying a dogs legs up leavin it defenseless while enjoying kickin the shit out of it........

sorry, it just angers me...........

(mind u a lot of those who commit crime tie their victims up for torture............but still)

Lemonite said:

Oh Dear Me.. Maxine Waters stated that.. Frankly, That statement by her holds as much water as if the Reverend Jesse Jackson said it.. She probably made that statement at the NAACP Convention going on at the present moment..

According to these people, EverythinG is Racially Motivated. I'm not championing anything here, but just providing a little bit to the 'perspective' tank here.

Why do you question the validity of her statement?

I believe she was speaking at a news conference on Capitol Hill and in a letter to the Attorney General.

Besides, if she had been speaking at an NAACP Convention, would you think this somehow makes her comments less valid? Surely the Black community have a right to be concerned about institutional racism, particularly with regard to policing.

I saw that, and i couldn't believe it...he grabbed that 16 year old kid as if he was a cat or some animal, by the neck, shoved him to the hood of the car and punched him.
Pick someone your own size at least. :mad:

As far as i know, the officer has no right whatsoever to hit a "suspect" (and it's not even like he commited a crime, it was just the license plates) after they are handcuffed. And it's not up to him to decide his punishment - there's courts for that, all he has to do is make the arrest.
OK, suppose the kid did provoke the officers. So what? They outght to be better than him and again, once people are handcuffed police violence is not excusable.

I saw it on German TV, they also showed Rodney King and officers in South Africa who terrorised suspects by having dog cops bite them while they watched it calmly.

Last edited:
Fine, the kid scuffled with the officer. BUT, after he was handcuffed, the officer's job was to put him in the patrol car and take him to jail. It was not his duty to enforce "street justice" by slamming a 16 year old's head into a car and then punch him in the face, which the video clearly shows.

I don't care what the store surveillance cameras show before the officer assaulted the kid...his actions afterward were totally uncalled for.

And this happens EVERYDAY in that area.

I'm not anti-cop by any means...my husband and his brother are both retired officers and my nephew is a cop in an Inglewood area city so I understand what they deal with but that is no excuse for brutality.

A huge part of this problem is the racism that exists among cops in this area, not just white cops but also black, Hispanic and Asian. To this day, some still refer to Imperial Highway, the main arterial road through the area, as "the Coal Chute." It is common for white officers to refer to black suspects as "raisins".

With this kind of disprespect, is it a wonder the community is hyper-sensitive to anything that might be perceived as racist? When people are shown absolutely no respect, they react by questioning authority, just like this kid did.

Racism in LA.

BAW True racism exists in So.Cal.:yes:

I grew up next to Watts in the city South Gate.:)
For a white kid this was tough. :(
The only good thing was my older brother played basketball well and was playing Varsity in the 10th grade w/ a bunch of black seniors.:)
My father also instilled good values in us kids raising us to be colored-blind. My father had a lot of African American clents.

Presently there is a small degree of reverse discrimination going on towards white police officers by some of the gangs in So .Central LA..wouldnt you agree? This has forced all police officers to walk on egg-shells. Cowardly gangbangers know this, knowing they can exploit a situation to their advantage-by antagonizing the police .:mad: :yes:
So I understand Wanderer's statement.

IAM AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY ALSO
HOWEVER, I WILL SAY THIS-

If it were September 11 2001 and both of these characters were living in NYC together by the WTC..THAT SAME POLICEMAN woulda of RESCUED that young fella if he were in caught in THOSE TOWERS.
Perspective ppl.
Thanks.:)

Peace
Out
DB9
:idea:

Last edited:
Re: Racism in LA.

diamond said:

If it were September 11 2001 and both of these characters were living in NYC together by the WTC..THAT SAME POLICEMAN woulda of RESCUED that young fella if he were in caught in THOSE TOWERS.

How do you know? I think this is irrelevant to the facts at hand.

GOOD POST- Maddie

I hope this does not offend anybody. But I am going to speak my mind. In free your mind. It seems to me a lot members of this forum approach issues with bias. They argue, and reach conclusions that support their beliefs, without any reasonable evidence to support their argument. Cops = good. Suspects = bad. Some members even let race creep into their arguments, and always argue on one side. This is sad.

This is one incident. A sixteen year old (American, for you flag wavers) was in custody. period The officer abused him, assaulted him. To rationalize about how bad the area is and speculate what may have happen before, etc., to mention other experiences that occurred in your life is bizarre and irrelevant.

Why you don?t empathize with this kid is amazing to me. It reveals a lot about bias.

To say 98% of cops are good. Lets not blow this out of proportion. They do a dangerous job.

Would you make this argument 98% of teachers are good. The 2% that have sex with their students. Lets not blow this out of proportion. They have a stressful job. You know how those teenagers can be seductive.

Nothing would justify his actions. The Inglewood police knew they were taped. They went to the hotel where the guy video recorded this. He handed the tape off to friend and put a blank tape in. He then changed his clothes and went to lounge by the pool. The police went from room to room looking for the tape.

This cop put someone else in a coma, a couple of weeks ago. The police department is pressing charges against him, last I heard.

My question is: Why did some of you jump on the bandwagon defending this? Rationalizing it? Trying to justify it, explaining it away? You should do some soul searching.

Last edited:
deep said:

My question is: Why did some of you jump on the bandwagon defending this? Rationalizing it? Trying it justify it, explaining it away? You should do some soul searching.

Great post, deep. I think you raise some important questions.

Ok fine Fizzing and deep.
Next time your car breaks down in the gheto call a gangbanger for help.
Oake dok;)
thank u-
DB9
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom