Cannibalism - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:57 AM

If you find out, years after the fact, that you had eaten human remains, is it worth getting upset over? Is the knowledge of having eaten a human being worse than the actual unintentional consumption?

Of course, consciously eating a human being is absolutely repellant to me, and I'd never do it (of course, then I'm reminded of 1993's "Alive"). But, philosophically, is it worth getting worked up over something that has long been digested and has long been excreted out of your system?

I'm posing this as a philosophical question. There are no right or wrong answers, and I'm not telling you what I think.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Is that why everything tastes like chicken?

I'm sorry... I haven't read the article yet. Maybe until I catch up with all the other threads.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:57 AM
Glad I gave up red meat.

Seriously, it wouldn't bother me. I have no control over it, why let myself be bothered.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
I find it repulsive.

But, I am sure there are far worse things we've all digested that were passed off as "meat." God only knows what's in McDonald's. I don't think it would bother me that many years later. If I found out just after consuming it, I probably would have retched, as I have a weak stomach.

I hate pork anyway. It smells.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
The Flower
Local Time: 11:57 PM
I would be repulsed no doubt and would probably retch and/or vomit but really, if years have passed and its long been digested, what can you do?

I would probably give up meat too.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:33 PM   #6
She's the One
I'm not even going to read the article.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

Ah, what's done is done. I bet lots of us have eaten some pretty bad things and just don't know about it. It doesn't turn me off to meat.
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 AM   #8
New Yorker
Re: Cannibalism

Originally posted by melon

I'm posing this as a philosophical question.
I'd probably be very disturbed if I found out I had inadvertantly consumed even a fragment of human remains. I wouldn't want to know.

Thing is, a much more probable (and therefore much more disturbing) reality for the average U.S. and Canadian citizen is that we've consumed in the produce we buy chemicals present in the residue "sludge" stockpiles from sewage treatment plants.

The treatment plants sell this sludge to farmers as crop "fertilizer." It's a lucrative business and it has been going on for several years. (I remember in the early 90's reading that there are sludge brokers who are paid by the treatment plants to take this stuff off their hands).
Old 03-11-2004, 01:06 AM   #9
An Angel In Devil's Shoes
Local Time: 01:57 AM
sure i'd be grossed out about it, and may even barf, but really what could be done if it was something in the past?

unless you grow and cook your own food (which i'm not going to do either) you really don't know what's in the food you eat, vegetarian or not. just recently even, there was that story on the news about a lady eating a salad...she thought there was a peice of meat or something in it that she was chewing on, which turned out to be part of a human finger from one of the food preparers that had been accidentally sliced off

i even get grossed out when i find a hair in my food
Old 03-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Sure i would be grossed out about it, but i think i would be more upset over the fact that I was tricked into eating it. It was also bother me that that they were murder victims of a serial killer much more than if they had for instance fallen into a meat grinder by accident (though it would still be gross).
Old 03-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
Local Time: 07:57 AM
unintentional cannibalism shouldn't get people all worked up, maybe except only members of PETA.

vince peal
Old 03-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
PETA is more upset about the pigs than the people
Old 03-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
Local Time: 07:57 AM

vince peal
Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
I would feel sick if I thought for a moment that I had eaten anything from that farm. The farm in question is in a neighbouring suburb to my home (25 minute drive). There has been lots of stories in the media reporting that none of the meat was sold in grocery stores but was apparently given away or sold privately. Police are asking anyone with meat in their freezer to please come forward.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:57 AM
*does biting my nails and cuticles and sometimes inadvertantly swallowing the "bitten" count as cannibalism?

mmmmm nails and cuticles...