Cannibalism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/03/10/crime.pigfarm.reut/index.html

If you find out, years after the fact, that you had eaten human remains, is it worth getting upset over? Is the knowledge of having eaten a human being worse than the actual unintentional consumption?

Of course, consciously eating a human being is absolutely repellant to me, and I'd never do it (of course, then I'm reminded of 1993's "Alive"). But, philosophically, is it worth getting worked up over something that has long been digested and has long been excreted out of your system?

I'm posing this as a philosophical question. There are no right or wrong answers, and I'm not telling you what I think.

Melon

Is that why everything tastes like chicken? :wink:

I'm sorry... I haven't read the article yet. Maybe until I catch up with all the other threads.

I find it repulsive.

But, I am sure there are far worse things we've all digested that were passed off as "meat." God only knows what's in McDonald's. I don't think it would bother me that many years later. If I found out just after consuming it, I probably would have retched, as I have a weak stomach.

I hate pork anyway. It smells.

I would be repulsed no doubt and would probably retch and/or vomit but really, if years have passed and its long been digested, what can you do?

I would probably give up meat too.

Ah, what's done is done. I bet lots of us have eaten some pretty bad things and just don't know about it. It doesn't turn me off to meat.

melon said:

I'm posing this as a philosophical question.
I'd probably be very disturbed if I found out I had inadvertantly consumed even a fragment of human remains. I wouldn't want to know.

Thing is, a much more probable (and therefore much more disturbing) reality for the average U.S. and Canadian citizen is that we've consumed in the produce we buy chemicals present in the residue "sludge" stockpiles from sewage treatment plants.

The treatment plants sell this sludge to farmers as crop "fertilizer." It's a lucrative business and it has been going on for several years. (I remember in the early 90's reading that there are sludge brokers who are paid by the treatment plants to take this stuff off their hands).

Last edited:
sure i'd be grossed out about it, and may even barf, but really what could be done if it was something in the past?

unless you grow and cook your own food (which i'm not going to do either) you really don't know what's in the food you eat, vegetarian or not. just recently even, there was that story on the news about a lady eating a salad...she thought there was a peice of meat or something in it that she was chewing on, which turned out to be part of a human finger from one of the food preparers that had been accidentally sliced off :barf:

i even get grossed out when i find a hair in my food :huh:

Sure i would be grossed out about it, but i think i would be more upset over the fact that I was tricked into eating it. It was also bother me that that they were murder victims of a serial killer much more than if they had for instance fallen into a meat grinder by accident (though it would still be gross).

unintentional cannibalism shouldn't get people all worked up, maybe except only members of PETA.

vince peal

I would feel sick if I thought for a moment that I had eaten anything from that farm. The farm in question is in a neighbouring suburb to my home (25 minute drive). There has been lots of stories in the media reporting that none of the meat was sold in grocery stores but was apparently given away or sold privately. Police are asking anyone with meat in their freezer to please come forward.

*does biting my nails and cuticles and sometimes inadvertantly swallowing the "bitten" count as cannibalism?

mmmmm nails and cuticles...

Back
Top Bottom