Canadian gay married couple denied entry to US - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Canadian gay married couple denied entry to US

What does everyone think of this?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_030918220326

Canadian gay married couple denied entry to US
Thu Sep 18, 6:03 PM ET

MONTREAL (AFP) - The United States denied entry to Canada's first legally married gay couple because they had filled out a single customs form as a family, Canada's foreign ministry said.

AFP/File Photo

A US customs official at Toronto Pearson International Airport denied entry to Kevin Bourassa and Joe Varnell, CBC television said.

They are the couple whose case led an Ontario court to recognize gay marriage in June.

The customs agent denied them entry as a family because the United States does not recognize same-sex marriage. The United States allows all members of a family to use the same form.

The two men refused to fill out separate forms and canceled their trip to Braselton, Georgia, where they were due to participate in a human rights conference.

Doug Elliott, a lawyer for the couple, told the CBC he was considering legal action against the Canadian and US governments.

"A law in Canada does not have extra-territorial application. Each country is free to impose conditions of entry to its territory," foreign ministry spokesman Reynold Doiron said.

Varnell and Bourrassa celebrated their union in January 2001 in Toronto, a few weeks after the Netherlands enacted a law allowing gay marriage. They won their legal battle to have their relationship legally recognized as marriage in the province of Ontario.

A court in British Columbia followed soon afterward.

Canada's federal government is considering legislation that would recognize same-sex marriage throughout the country.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 11:08 AM
seriously, what harm do they pose to any one of us?

Old 09-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
That's right, what harm is going to take place if this couple is allowed to enter the U.S? They're not exactly terrorists.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
They were only asked to fill out seperate forms. Big deal. They are making this out to be some sort of scandal. These two guys really get under my skin becuse it seems to me they are always looking for a story and to make the gov't look as if they are restricting them. Give me a break! All they needed to do was fill seperate forms. You have got to respect other countrys laws and they arent!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
They were only asked to fill out seperate forms. Big deal. They are making this out to be some sort of scandal. These two guys really get under my skin becuse it seems to me they are always looking for a story and to make the gov't look as if they are restricting them. Give me a break! All they needed to do was fill seperate forms. You have got to respect other countrys laws and they arent!
It's something called principle. They're being asked to fill out forms that call them out as something they are not. They're pointing out how stupid our laws are.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

We were right to turn them away. They were gonna come down here and turn us queer!

Old 09-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #7
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 08:08 AM
I support gay marriage 100% but I don't think being asked to fill out 2 forms was such a huge deal. I don't think the US is the only country that would have asked them to do it.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 PM
There are countires that don't recognize interracial marriage. Everyone would be up in arms if an American couple were asked to fill out two seperate forms to enter one of those countries.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77
There are countires that don't recognize interracial marriage. Everyone would be up in arms if an American couple were asked to fill out two seperate forms to enter one of those countries.
i agree.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77
Yes, there would be controversy. But you are talking about a sovereign country. Do you respect the local laws and customs, or expect the country to meet your individual expectations and criteria?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

They should have filled out two forms. In my opinion it's like going to a foriegn country and demanding they speak your language and serve your food. I travel a lot and most Americans/Canadians I see abroad sicken me with their selfish, pompous attitudes.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Do you respect the local laws and customs, or expect the country to meet your individual expectations and criteria?
But I think they are trying to make a point. Some laws do not make sence. It's not a matter of expecting a country to meet your needs. If Rosa Parks never sat at the front of the bus how much longer would segregation have lasted? If we all just blinded followed every ignorant rule and law think of where we'd be. There are still a lot of ignorant and even prejudical and hateful laws. I'm glad they did what they did. We need more people to do the same.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
you are asuming that everyone thinks your way. Well guess what, they dont. Alot of Canada doesnt even support this marriage. Its not even fully finalized! You dont live in Canada and dont know the uproar this is causing. People are outraged about this, myself included. You comparing this to Black rights is outragous, in my opinon, this has nothing to do what skin color you are it has to do in what you believe inreligouly and otherwise.

You say its about principel, well i disagree. If you lived in Canada and knew what these two have been doing you would understand. They are media whores who center their lives around controversy. I have no problem with anyone sexuality but when you are doing what these two have been doing it makes me ask what about heterosexuals rights. What ever happened to the defintion of marriage. We through that right out the door and change it! Whats next allowing a person to be married to 10 people or having a father and daughter be married. The defintion of marriage has been in tact for many many years and to tarnis that because homosexuals want equal rights is not right in my world. I have asked many gays what they thought about this and they resent alot of what people have done, they think it will hurt the homosexual community in the long run, for what, a word!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
why is gay marriage such an outrage?

people who are against gay marriage's can argue their point all they want, but it still does not make me understand how it is personally effecting a heterosexual marriage and lifestyle.

so please explain how a homosexual marriage is ruining or changing the way you live your day to day life?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Its going to take time to sort out all the legalities of this issue.

In the meantime, you still have to follow the laws of the country you are entering, whether you agree with them or not. I would never presume to try and enter Canada and refuse to fill out a form correctly because I disagreed with it. And if I did and they refused to let me in, it would be my own fault.

And would this even big such a huge deal if it didn't involve the US? Would this have made national news if they were turned away from Mexico or Ireland?