Canadian Election (Kinda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
So all us Canadians, or people who follow our politics (melon), what are your thoughts?

The Conservatives have said they are going to *try* to bring down the gov't in the next few weeks, or as early as this week. Do we think that this is good, bad?

Will paully make it through an election?

bonoman said:
So all us Canadians, or people who follow our politics (melon), what are your thoughts?

LOL...I'm amused that you bothered to mention me. :wink:

I'm not surprised at all that Harper is going to try for another election, because the Liberals have hit a real weak point with the sponsorship scandal. Harper probably feels that he has everything to gain; if he doesn't get an outright majority or even a minority government, he probably feels that he can, at least, increase the number of Conservative MPs. We're talking about a party that's been in a slump for over a decade, so I do think that, beyond all the rhetoric, Harper is being both realistic and strategic about it. Ultimately, what does he have to lose right now?

Realistically, I know Canada probably does not want another election, but minority governments collapse in an average of 18 months. At least you can say that it didn't collapse in a day, which is exactly what happened in the early 20th century. Then the Liberal minority government became a majority in the next election.

Which brings me to my next point: elections can sometimes backfire. The sponsorship scandal is nothing new at all, and the Conservatives have continued to show their true colors during these past few months. Voters may be disillusioned with the Liberals over this scandal, but they may still not want to hand power over to Harper.

In many ways, the problems with Canadian democracy are the same afflictions hitting the UK's democracy: having to choose between a lackluster leader and a perceived "nutty" leader (although I have to say that Howard in the UK is exponentially more sane than Harper). In other words, the Liberals might be able to squeak by again, merely because Harper and the Conservatives might just be way too "conservative" for modern Canada.

Melon

melon pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter. i think an election right now would be a colossal waste of money as we would end up with a very similar result anyway. it's going to be a minority government no matter which way it goes. and there is no real choice--all we'd be doing is picking the lesser of two evils. yet once again.

This week and last few days, Harper's been out positioned on this and he seems to be stuck. What he has to lose right now is another election if he ends up prompting one. Polls are agreeing with Martin that election should wait until after the Gomery inquiry. Harper's party has lost the window of opportunity and even some of his MPs are publicly rethinking the snap election strategy.

Ironically, Martin's deal (aspects of the federal budget redone) with the NDP seems like it wasn't required. Martin did it to have a chance to win a non-confidence vote, but it's looking like a motion for a non-confidence vote will punish not the Liberals but the Conservatives and whomever votes for them in the house (except the Bloc Quebcois...they'll benefit in Quebec by an election no matter when it's held).

Of course, that's what's happening this week. Harper would be better off if he waits...let the Gomery inquiry continue to bring out bad news on the Liberals.

Last edited:
I think more Canadians would punish the Conservatives for calling this election than would punish the Liberals for the sponsorship scandal.

Anyway, it looks like the longer this Gomery Commission goes on, the more the Liberals are exonerated - it seems like the corruption is only limited to a few bad apples and not as widespread as initially thought (although Guite's testimony today looks like it does implicate Martin to a certain degree)

Huuuuuuge waste of money to have an election right now.

Corruption runs rampant in politics, it's naive to think otherwise.

See the thing is i'm a NDP more then i am a liberal!

This is the best thing for me!

The NDP is making head way on things like tution and corprate taxation. These are my two most passionate cause, behind organized labor/labor laws.

My opinion is that if a election were held in a month the conservatives would be hurt the liberals stay the same and the NDP stronger (bloc would gain a few).

There were many liberal riding taken by the conservatives by very slim margins, would it hapen again? Maybe, but maybe not!

I would love to see Paul Martin stand up in the commons and say to Harper point blank, "do it, call an election and I will crush you!"

Martin has gotta be strong and show that he is not scared, tell Harper that he knows that Canadians are better then what the conservatives have on offer!

Interesting observation - there`s loads of Republicans on this site but I have yet to see one poster on Interference who wants the Tories to win a Canadian election.

ladywithspinninghead said:
Interesting observation - there`s loads of Republicans on this site but I have yet to see one poster on Interference who wants the Tories to win a Canadian election.

That's because they know nothing about Canada. :shh:

:wink:

Melon

melon said:

That's because they know nothing about Canada. :shh:

:wink:

Melon

hahaha!

except I worded that wrong - I didn`t mean I haven`t seen Americans who want the Tories to win, I mean I haven`t even seen one Canuck here who does!

If Harpur gets his way, and this election focused on the ethics of politics, corrupt politicians:shocked: then he will have a tough time explaining stuff when his government gets in crap for questionable activities and appointments.

If the criteria for voting governments was the level of corruption then we would all be anarchists.

Back
Top Bottom