Canadian Election - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 07-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #76
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:06 AM
Even if Quebec separated, I don't see why the Atlantic Provinces couldn't stay. In fact, what complicates the issue is that the Native population in Northern Quebec is overwhelmingly against secession. So if Quebec votes to secede, should they be allowed to drag the northern part along with it, kicking and screaming? Because if it was just the southern, populated French-speaking regions that seceded, then the Atlantic Provinces would still be connected via the north.

Old 07-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #77
Local Time: 12:06 PM
I was disapointed in the results to be honest but glad that the liberals are part of a minority government at least and perhaps this will teach them a lesson that the people are fed up and we're not taking this anymore. Hopefully by the next election, the liberals won't get any or very very few seats.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:38 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by melon
Because if it was just the southern, populated French-speaking regions that seceded, then the Atlantic Provinces would still be connected via the north.

the lines arent even that clear. montreal would be very unlikely to favour secession from canada.
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:25 PM   #79
Originally posted by DaveC

Then the question is whether Québec would become part of France or become its own country. I don't think right off the bat that Québec could be a fully functioning country on its own. I think it'd become a colony of France for a period of time until it could self-sustain.

Another question was what would happen to everything east of Quebec (NS, NB, PEI, Newfoundland). Some say that we would become part of the US, some say that we'd basically turn into a colony of Canada. Either way it'd be bad for the Atlantic Provinces.
This doesn't make any sense. Firstly, why would Quebec become part of France? The shared language is the only thing that is common between Quebec and France.

Secondly, why would any part of Canada become the U.S? It is possible to have parts of the country that are not attached. Alaska is part of the U.S. and it is not attached.

If Quebec were to seperate it would be it's own country in the middle of another country. The other provinces would remain part of Canada.

FYI, NB and Northern Ontario also have large french speaking populations.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quebec would never become a "colony" of France. They would have less sovereignty than they have now, which is considerable, by the way. They would want to have their cake and eat it too. That is, claim independence but still expect to use Canadian passports and receive Canadian pensions, etc.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict
I agree, it doesn't make sense.

However, if Quebec went right off the bat to produce everything a self-sustaining country needs, the province/country would collapse.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #82
The Fly
Local Time: 05:06 AM
Just look at the tension between Russia and Lithuania over the propietorship of Kaliningrad. That geographic separation of territory has caused political isolation (and misgivings with the European Union) as well as economic division over the taxation of transit. Although the political strife isn't as loaded in the case of Quebec sovereignty, the physical act of separating wouldn't do much to appease diplomacy or satisfaction (within and without the borders).