Canadian Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice, dave.

Here is my question....now that the Bloc(heads) Quebec (or whatever they are called) have a few more seats....when can we expect the Canadian Civil War to break out?

All joking aside, it is apparent Quebec will try to leave Canada again...can it happen?

Duceppe doesn't have the Bouchardian inclination, from what he has said in the past few days. Considering the situation of a minority government, and his commitment to work towards a more fluent relationship with Ottawa, I don't think sovereignty is on the horizon... in any capacity. There is still some liberal sentiment left in Quebec, and it appears their mandate is more attractive to the sovereigntists than the Conservatives.

or something.

even still...if all things stay as they are now, we could see a referendum somewhere around 2010.

and if this record setting support for the bloc stays constant....it could be a close one

zoney! said:
nice, dave.

What the hell?

Why must you insist on making a sarcastic comment to everything I post?? :angry:

I said nothing personally to you. I made a comment that I don't like the results and I feel that there will be another election very soon. It did not warrant a snarky comment from you.

Is it real support for the Bloc, or is it more out of dissatisfaction with the Liberals (for the corruption) and the Conservatives (for being assholes)? In other words, do they really want to separate, or are they just trying to make a statement?

Melon

Basstrap said:
even still...if all things stay as they are now, we could see a referendum somewhere around 2010.

and if this record setting support for the bloc stays constant....it could be a close one

Sadly, if you replaced the word bloc with conservative... your post could easily be describing Alberta. I didn't say that with a straight face, but there was an ounce of truth to it. All that western sentiment conjured by Klein... I would feel safer blinking if he was out of office.

yet I persist...

:sexywink:

My feeling is that the Bloc success was partially due to dissatisfaction with the Liberals. I don't think separatist feelings are any stronger than they have been in the past.

while the seperatist bloc were successful in attracting votes, they are not so much votes for seperation-and duceppe knows that. he is being careful not to force the issue.

but with the provincial liberal government in power needing a new mandate sometime in the next year and presently proving very unpopular in polls, the provincial parti quebecois will likely have a good shot at capturing the regional control. if this were to happen, the framework for a sovereigntist movement in the medium term future would exist.

hmm,
I'll wait for Michael Moore to make a documentary on a possible seperation before I'll make up my own mind whether that would be a good or a bad move

Looking for clarification....

How would a seperation work? Would all of Canada vote for it, or would would all of Quebec vote on it, and if passed...it would struggle with Ottawa until they are allowed to be "spun off"?

As far as I was told in school...

If the PQ and the Bloc both felt there was enough support for a successful referendum with a "oui" vote, they would hold a Quebec-wide referendum. If it succeeds with at least a 2/3rds majority (Clarity Act in play here) then Quebec would not automatically separate. It would just be a definitive sign to begin the process. Then there would be some things that go through the courts (legal stuff) and then after a few months Qu?bec could legally separate.

Then the question is whether Qu?bec would become part of France or become its own country. I don't think right off the bat that Qu?bec could be a fully functioning country on its own. I think it'd become a colony of France for a period of time until it could self-sustain.

Another question was what would happen to everything east of Quebec (NS, NB, PEI, Newfoundland). Some say that we would become part of the US, some say that we'd basically turn into a colony of Canada. Either way it'd be bad for the Atlantic Provinces.

DaveC said:
Some say that we would become part of the US

That is just complete nonsense and I don't know where people get this stuff from. I've also heard Ontario joining the US, BC joining the US, Alberta joining the US, and just about zero fact to back this up.

Turks and Caicos will sooner become the 11th Canadian province than any one of the existing ones joining the US.

Thanks for the info dave! :up:

I agree, I can't imagine Quebec (or any country/region in that type of situation) being a fully functional country right of the bat.

As for the Eastern Provinces....why would they want to "leave" Canada?

Pinball Wizard said:
Alaska for the Maritimes. How 'bout it America?

We'll throw in the Grand Banks and Baltic Avenue.

Do it.

We'll throw in the Dakotas, UPers and keep "the pipeline" as long as we can surround your Quebec borders with 70 foot walls!

DEAL!

Quick question: when Quebec leaves Canada, will the CFL kick out the Alouettes???? :hyper:

Last edited:
Even if Quebec separated, I don't see why the Atlantic Provinces couldn't stay. In fact, what complicates the issue is that the Native population in Northern Quebec is overwhelmingly against secession. So if Quebec votes to secede, should they be allowed to drag the northern part along with it, kicking and screaming? Because if it was just the southern, populated French-speaking regions that seceded, then the Atlantic Provinces would still be connected via the north.

Melon

I was disapointed in the results to be honest but glad that the liberals are part of a minority government at least and perhaps this will teach them a lesson that the people are fed up and we're not taking this anymore. Hopefully by the next election, the liberals won't get any or very very few seats.

melon said:
Because if it was just the southern, populated French-speaking regions that seceded, then the Atlantic Provinces would still be connected via the north.

Melon

the lines arent even that clear. montreal would be very unlikely to favour secession from canada.

DaveC said:

Then the question is whether Qu?bec would become part of France or become its own country. I don't think right off the bat that Qu?bec could be a fully functioning country on its own. I think it'd become a colony of France for a period of time until it could self-sustain.

Another question was what would happen to everything east of Quebec (NS, NB, PEI, Newfoundland). Some say that we would become part of the US, some say that we'd basically turn into a colony of Canada. Either way it'd be bad for the Atlantic Provinces.

This doesn't make any sense. Firstly, why would Quebec become part of France? The shared language is the only thing that is common between Quebec and France.

Secondly, why would any part of Canada become the U.S? It is possible to have parts of the country that are not attached. Alaska is part of the U.S. and it is not attached.

If Quebec were to seperate it would be it's own country in the middle of another country. The other provinces would remain part of Canada.

FYI, NB and Northern Ontario also have large french speaking populations.

Quebec would never become a "colony" of France. They would have less sovereignty than they have now, which is considerable, by the way. They would want to have their cake and eat it too. That is, claim independence but still expect to use Canadian passports and receive Canadian pensions, etc.

I agree, it doesn't make sense.

However, if Quebec went right off the bat to produce everything a self-sustaining country needs, the province/country would collapse.

Just look at the tension between Russia and Lithuania over the propietorship of Kaliningrad. That geographic separation of territory has caused political isolation (and misgivings with the European Union) as well as economic division over the taxation of transit. Although the political strife isn't as loaded in the case of Quebec sovereignty, the physical act of separating wouldn't do much to appease diplomacy or satisfaction (within and without the borders).

Back
Top Bottom