Canadian Election - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Interesting...

Melon

Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

The Green Party?

If she was in Harpers riding and she didnt want to vote conservative why then would she vote green, as the green asre more conservative then the PC's!
i didn't intend to tell him who to vote for. i meant that in an electoral system where public funding is equated to votes recieved in the most recent election, such as the canadian one does, every vote counts--so long as it is a vote for a party that crosses that threshold of popular vote. i only brought up the green party because they are right on the bubble for qualifying for that funding. the libs, cons, ndp and bloc are all well past it. so even if your riding is a foregone conclusion, your vote counts.

Old 06-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Interesting...
Yes, apparently I changed genders overnight.

Can I still vote?

Old 06-26-2004, 10:44 PM   #49
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:46 PM
I have decided to vote liberal.

I live in what is probably a conservative stronghold but liberal it is. I was coming out of a local shopping mall today when I actually came face to face with my local liberal candidate and before he could say anything, I told him I was voting liberal on Monday. He said thanks. I was going to just walk away but he asked me if I had any questions about the campaign or if there was anything I needed answered. I told him that I pretty much kept up with things and didn't really have any questions. I thought it was nice of him to ask that. There were a lot of people hovering around that he probably had to shake hands with and talk to. But he took those few extra moments to talk to me and say hi to my kids.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #50
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

My whole family ganged up on me to vote NDP over the weekend. I totally see their points, and I know if everyone would just vote their conscience maybe they would win, but I just think with a call this close, I don't have the luxury of voting NDP! Sad but true. It does make it much easier since I like our Liberal candidate....
Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fah
There were a lot of people hovering around that he probably had to shake hands with and talk to. But he took those few extra moments to talk to me and say hi to my kids.
It's amazing how much difference that can make. I remember being furious with the local Labour party candidate when he came into the place I was working over summer and spoke to the owner of the business while completely ignoring the three of us who were employed there. Perhaps someone needed to remind him that we have a system of one person one vote and the votes of the mere pharmacy assistants are worth just the same as that of the guy who owned the pharmacy.

He's probably going to lose his seat at the next election though, so what do I care?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:16 AM
I'm here in Vancouver now where the NDP are very popular in some distrcits.
But I really hope many of them vote liberal because anything would be better than a conservative gov't.

Consider, if the con's get in.

Kyoto can be considered scrapped.
We'll latch onto the "starwars" thing
Gay marriage and general rights will suffer
Social programs would suffer
We'd experience more americanization
we'd lose much of the culture of what makes canada Canada.

VOTE LIBERAL

They may be rife with corruption but so is every political party.

And just because NDP are more left doesn't mean they'd be better. They got a term here in BC and drove the economy into the shiiter. They have a lot of fine tuning to do before they can lead a country
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #53
Refugee

There's not much I don't agree with there.

Although when I visited the polling station earlier, I almost succumbed to the notion of voting for the Marijuana Party... then temptation subsided, and everything looked good except conservative.

Considering Harper voted in the same school I did, my choice is screwed. Hopefully the NDP rep enjoys the $1.75 I donated to her party. That's the equivalence of a dime for our American viewers.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

The turnout was pretty good in my riding, and I went earlier than usual and probably beat out the masses so I'd predict better turnout than last time around anyway.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, it looks like a Liberal minority. Thank goodness, it could have been much worse. The NDP will likely influence the political agenda, so the government will definitely lean left. At least until the next election, which will be sooner rather than later.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:12 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/nat...ote040628.html

Quote:
Predictions that voters would desert the Liberals in droves over the sponsorship scandal were proven wrong on election night, judging by the popular vote numbers.

Though Paul Martin's party lost 40 seats compared to its showing in the 2000 election, picking up 137 seats this time, voter support dropped by only three percentage points. About 38 per cent of Canadians who voted today cast ballots for the Liberals, compared to almost 41 per cent four years ago.

By comparison, the united-right Conservatives won the support of 29.2 per cent of voters, compared to the 37.8 per cent who voted for either the Alliance or the Progressive Conservatives in 2000. The merged party gained only seven seats for a total of 93.

The New Democratic Party was the big winner of the night in terms of popular vote. Its number rose seven percentage points, from 8.7 per cent of voters in 2000 to 15.4 per cent in 2004.

The Bloc Québécois gained 22 seats as its support rose by 1.5 percentage points, from 10.4 per cent nationally to 12.3 per cent.
Nice to see that the Conservatives had a net loss in this election, in terms of support, even if they did pick up seven seats as a combined party.

Melon
Old 06-29-2004, 01:32 AM   #57
Refugee

In the esteemed words of many after countless elections... "meh, could've been worse."
Old 06-29-2004, 03:45 AM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 08:46 AM
This is great! Even greater is that the NDP will play a fairly key role. It should make for some interesting politics.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #59
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Phew!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Yuck.

At least I will get another chance to remove the Liberals soon!