Canada's View on Social Issues Is Opening Rifts With the U.S. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2003, 06:51 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
See the thing i love is how the entire world believes Canada has de-criminalized pot. We havent.
Well then disregard my previous post.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:26 PM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

The Reform (aka. Alliance, now Conservative) party is also very good at divisive politics.
I wouldnt say as bad as the liberals have been in the last ten years. There are alot of Conservatives in the west but for this party to ever become into power again it must be strong in the East as well. When and if this ever happens they will have to represent both side of the country. Rather with the Liberals they only represent the east. they have 2 seats in Alberta, how can they represent me? They can if they listened to what Allience members said their constiuients want, but they right the Alliance off as nut cases, which some are.

Dont get me wrong, i dont have alot of quibs with the Liberals, just that they dont give a shit about the west. If they ever started to care they might actually get some seats our west!

Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this.We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with. Ric Mercer.
Here are some things which make Canada such a great country:
Great variety in seasons
Great world-wide reputation with other countries
We invented Hockey
We invented Basketball
We invented the telephone
We invented cable T.V.
There are over 2 million Canadian patents
We are one of the G-7 countries
We are a part of NATO
We are a part of NAFTA
We are one of the only countries that can put up with Americans
We have a low crime rate
Canada doesn't have the highest national debt (The U.S. does, ha!)
We have a slightly lower debt per-capita than the U.S.
We can understand American-English. (Well most of us anyway)
Canadians are polite
Canada is easy to spell
Canada is easy to pronounce
We have one of the top education systems
Canada has one of the fastest growing populations in the world
Canada introduced peace-keeping
Our government pays for medicine. In other words, no hospital bills
We have nice cities
We have clean cities
We are at peace with many countries
We are the leader in telephone technology
We have better technology than the U.S.
We made those dinosaurs in Jurassic Park
We are not stupid
We invented refinning
Canada has more clean water than any other nation
Canada is a free and democratic society
Hockey is Canada, Canada is hockey
We know how, and when to use the word, "eh"
We have two official languages, and a leader that speaks his own
Unlike what many people think, Canadians are patriotic
We are probably the least biased country
There's a lot of famous Canadians
We don't have to worry about nukes or bombs
Lots of ski resorts
We have the world's longest brige (P.E.I. to the mainiland)
We have the world's tallest self-supported structure (CN Tower, Toronto)
Most of us know what the CN Tower is for
We have the world's longest street (Yonge St., Toronto to somewhere near Manitoba)
We are great world-leaders withour beer
Canadians are 300% less likely to be murdered than Americans
Economy living up to most of its potential of all G7 nations
Falling crime rate
We have the 'Smarties' candy unlike Americans (Very important, isn't it?)
Our schools have less of a dicipline problem than American schools
Canadian students rank higher than American students in Math, Science, English, ...
1/3 of Microsoft programmers come from the University of Waterloo
Canadian invented the baseball glove
Canadian invented insulin
Canadian invented the kitchen stove
Titanic, written, directed and produced by a Canadian, James Cameron
Nelvana Corp. of Toronto hired to produce all American cartoons on CBS
Canadian woman second in comand at UN (American not 1st or 3rd or 4th or... in command)
Canada is the only country at the Atlanta summer olympics that sent more women than men, meaning we aren't sexist
Canada is one of the few countries with women in the millitary
Canada has a trade surplus, unlike our southern friends
Canada is slated to get rid of the deficit and debt before the U.S.
Canadian music is world reknowned
Unemployed Canadians receive higher welfare cheques than unemployed Americans
Average life expectancy of a Canadian is 79 years, the highest in the world (U.S. is 75 years)
Canadian cities lead the world in quality of life. Vancouver (1), Toronto (3), Montreal (15). Closest American city was Atlanta at thrity-something
Canadian discovered Pablum (Baby food)
Women in Ontario can walk around topless legally (For men: YES! For women: Your freedoms are expanded)
Canadian doctor at the Montreal General Hospital was able to map the human brain
Recovered bodies of the Titanic are buried in Halifax (not really something to demonstrate patriotism but an interesting fact)
Canada never owned slaves (there were slaves in Canada in the 18th century but they were owned by the British government)
Many American slaves came secretly to Canada during the American civil war
Canada receives more immigrants per capita than the U.S. (almost twice as much)
Canada among most popular tourist destinations in the world
Canadian universities are world-reknowned for quality education and cheap tuitions
Canada is one of few countries at the UN to be apart of the security counsil, giving Canada a strong voice
Canada has teh lowest crime rate among major industrialized countries
Canada leads all economic powers in economic growth
World's best infrastructure
Very low inflation (0.9%)
Falling unemployment rate
Canadian social programs are unsurpassed
Stocks reaching new records
Major profits among Canadian companies
Canada is home to the world's third largest food franchise--Fogen Frutz
More medals per capita than any other country at the Atlanta Summer Olympics
Canadian troops lead the invasion of Normandy
Invasion planned in Quebec City by Mackenzie King, Winston Churchill, and Roosevelt
Canadian attack at Vimy Ridge during WWI; one of the turning points of the war
You know the nuclear bombs the U.S. prides itself on? Well they get the essential uranium from Canada
More drinkable water in Canada then anywhere else in the world
The longest inclined tower in the world (Olympic Tower, Montreal)
For 7 years in a row the United Nations has voted Canada "the best COUNTRY in the world in which to live".

The only thing the 2 countries do have in common is geography. And the United States has never officially recognized Canada as an independent nation ever since the War of 1812 where Americans invaded Canada in the hopes of making the entire country part of them and Canadians, with the help of the British, managed to drive them out with a good number of victories. As Thomas Jefferson said: "How could a nation of 8 million fail to subdue a struggling colony of only 300,000?" The US should not underestimate who it's fighting. It underestimated the Vietnamese and because of that they were forced to leave the country and allow South Vietnam to be overrun by communism. The US has a history of making terrible mistakes. Like in 1998, when there was a terrorist attack against Americans in Africa, the American ppl demanded that someone be punished so Bill Clinton ordered missiles launched against a plant in Sudan that he said was making chemical and biological weapons. But the plant was instead making pills to help slow down HIV. The US would rather lose a war then admit to it's mistakes.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Here's one Canadian that smokes pot but doesnt think it should be legalized
I can't help but find that statement to be funny.

Melon
Old 12-11-2003, 07:50 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this.We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with. Ric Mercer.
Rick Mercer didn't say this. Colin Mochrie (known to Americans mostly through Drew Carey's "Whose Line is it Anyway?" show) said a longer version of this on the CBC television news satire, "This Hour Has 22 Minutes," in 2003. Mercer left the show in 2001.

But I should emphasize the "satire." It was intended to be funny, not serious.

Melon
Old 12-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I wouldnt say as bad as the liberals have been in the last ten years. There are alot of Conservatives in the west but for this party to ever become into power again it must be strong in the East as well. When and if this ever happens they will have to represent both side of the country. Rather with the Liberals they only represent the east. they have 2 seats in Alberta, how can they represent me? They can if they listened to what Allience members said their constiuients want, but they right the Alliance off as nut cases, which some are.

Dont get me wrong, i dont have alot of quibs with the Liberals, just that they dont give a shit about the west. If they ever started to care they might actually get some seats our west!
If the Alliance would take care of its nutcases, rather than appoint them to power positions within the party, then perhaps the East wouldn't write the party off that much. It is my hope that their merger with the Progressive Conservatives shoves out the extremists that have dogged the Canadian Alliance since its inception (Stockwell Day, anyone?), but I fear that, instead, the reasonable conservatives within the PCs will flee, and all that will be left is some form of American-style intolerant social conservatism. Hopefully, if that situation happens, Canadians will marginalize the party further, but who knows. Arrogrant social conservative intolerance seems to get you pretty far in the United States.

Melon
Old 12-11-2003, 07:57 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 12-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

the bottom line is= Canadians are weak and Americans have better organisms..

thank u.
Was this a typo....I thought you meant orgasms...

Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 05:06 AM
actually Ric Mercer did write it

actually Ric Mercer did write it.. Colin said it
Old 12-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey
Like in 1998, when there was a terrorist attack against Americans in Africa, the American ppl demanded that someone be punished so Bill Clinton ordered missiles launched against a plant in Sudan that he said was making chemical and biological weapons. But the plant was instead making pills to help slow down HIV. The US would rather lose a war then admit to it's mistakes.
This is one of the most interesting interpretations I have ever read of this event. Any chance you have a single link to back this up? The part I put in bold that is........
Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/mercer.asp

Well, I'll just leave this. This explains the entire situation more clearly than I can.

Melon
Old 12-11-2003, 08:44 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:06 AM
According to the UN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT REPORT for 2003, the standard of living in the United States is better than Canada's.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
According to the UN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT REPORT for 2003, the standard of living in the United States is better than Canada's.
It's interesting how the United States is willing to listen to the UN when it suits its agenda and dismisses it as "irrelevant" the rest of the time.

Melon
Old 12-11-2003, 09:56 PM   #29
Refugee

AH but melon are you saying there isnt nutcases in every party. David Milgard said that gay marriages will lead to legalization of pologamy and incest. Do we then write the whole party off. No. One man one voice. You can be labeled a nutcase if your views are different then others.

Many people might think your a nutcase for being for gay marriages. But you (hopefully) are not. Your views just differ so much. But what a gov't is in power for, in my opinon, is to represent a country not just the people who voted for them. Especially in a country that is predomiatly liberal. Should all conservatives then just stop thinking their own thoughts and move away to a conservative nation? No. Hopefully a comprimise could be made to satisfy all people of a nation.

Also, pot should be de-criminalized and dealers and smugglers should be focused on with a larger scope. I get mine from a person who grows his own. Just enough for himself and a select few. I wouldnt buy weed from a dealer, never!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:35 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Melon,

Were talking about raw statistical data collected to measure standard of living, not US foreign Policy in regards to the UN or anything else.